S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: ME1.6na crank bolt question  (Read 6300 times)

Reply #30October 19, 2013, 03:18:42 am

mzak88

• User+

Re: ME1.6na crank bolt question
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2013, 03:18:42 am »
I don't mind using red... Millwright thing. If problem getting off I apply heat carefully to BOLT, let sit for a while. it will come loose, no problem.

Ha ha.  Yeah if you know it's there.  Ever sold a car to someone?  That poor sucker broke his flywheel ring gear trying to get that bolt loose after you stuck red on it for no good reason...
Nobody gets my cars when I'm do e with them. :)
97 IDI Jetta, O2A CTN,0.658 5th, 1.6 boost pin, TDI IC, 2.0 brakes, some tuning.

Reply #31October 20, 2013, 04:15:38 am

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2013, 04:15:38 am »
n1 Im like that 2, and they last. other than tyler putting 12 point, and looks like a flap about Loctite. I don't even use Loctite on that end, ..so. blue sounds much better, but don't I remember blue , was. anyway in luck of Dakota, glw/that, cause I don't lose too many to only timing belts, but never lost a crank or other bolt, and I tighten timing, yes, tight-er,.and oil i'd use for ttybolt? or anti-seize applys, or light oil?cause I got oil,

Reply #32October 21, 2013, 10:55:45 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2013, 10:55:45 pm »
Some food for thought... particularly for the folks who think the crank sprocket key is for "alignment": The sprocket angular relationship to the crank is arbitrary.

Both the Camshaft and IP are aligned to the flywheel/#1TDC, the crank sprocket could be in any fixed relationship to the crank, as long as the rest are good.

Now, if the friction of the sprocket/crank interface were adequate to hold the sprocket, the key would not be needed and you could trust the surface area of a US Quarter to keep your engine from self-destructing.