General Information > Smoke Tales

1.6TD Caddy beats 1970 Chevelle (& others!)

<< < (2/3) > >>

funkaholik:
At the drags again last night.  This time I remembered to remove my tailgate before I left.  29 pounds lighter (of course I had to weigh it...) & less drag at speed would hopefully make a difference.  boy, did it.  My first test run was 18.19 @ 75 mph.  .3 seconds and over 2 mph better than my fastest run last week.  A few more runs & I got it down to 17.90 @ 75.12 mph, even with a crappy reaction of .311. Couldn't reproduce that time, though, and the next 2 runs were 18.2 and 18.3.  Had to pick a dial-in now, and scared I'd run too fast like last time, I chose 17.95. 

First race was against a 94 Mustang 5.0.  We line up, I take off, and again see win lights a ways down the track.  Another redlight win for me, but still running 18.3's.  Second race against a Subaru WRX with a 13.61 dial.  I go, he goes, and we meet at the finish line.  I rol up to the booth and find that I won, still running 18.3 to his 14.14.  Lucky, but I can't count on being lucky again.  I change my dial-in to 18.20 and line up against a supercharged Mustang dialed at 11.90.  Yikes.  I take off.  What seems like forever goes by and I see him coming up so fast in the right lane.  we meet at the finish again and when I get to the booth, guess what?  18.07.  Too fast.  I lose.  He ran 11.95, with a reaction time of .000 (!) so he's obviously got it down.  If I would have kept the 17.95 dial, I still would have lost to that guy.

I kept an eye on engine temp this time out, and it stayed at 195-200 the whole time.  Even after 30 minutes cool down between races, by the time I creep up to the start line behind all the cars lined up in front of me, it was always in that range.  Just to allay fears of me breaking anything, I don't do high rev clutch drops, and shift at 4200 rpm, which is 100 rpm shy of where my crappy governor cuts off my fuel.

Here is the best time of the day:

81 vw pu:

--- Quote from: funkaholik on October 17, 2013, 02:21:50 pm --- A few more runs & I got it down to 17.90 @ 75.12 mph, even with a crappy reaction of .311.

Reaction time does not affect your ET or mph. Reaction time starts when the green light comes on and stops when your front tires roll through the light beams, and then your ET time starts.

Good job and have fun!!!

--- End quote ---

air-cooled or diesel:
just watch you gear/levers , real weak to shift hard/fast, too, you'll be in that engine before 200kless or more, but it'll come apart early, if you keep those revs up too long/often.
gl hf

air-cooled or diesel:
just to show you last time I dragged, light was .5--

air-cooled or diesel:
that end of crank and tranny are testy, but spinning tires in and after water box, 2nd gear, vw 1st gear will give out on you if you spin in 1st, and getting to spin in 2nd stressing clutch, can cause early failure, but spinning in water box and roll forward, try that, ,try to get tires to spin after ,box. all that rubber in early part of track , and in box, note time(s), go easy on spin, and ,,well give us some times,  :o heheh

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version