General Information > Smoke Tales

1.6TD Caddy beats 1970 Chevelle (& others!)

<< < (3/3)

air-cooled or diesel:
getting your times down and your r/t is the main thing.

funkaholik:
I go around the waterbox and don't do a burnout.  Mainly because I can't.  I can get  a little bit of chirpy tirespin if I try really hard, but I don't want to put that stress on the truck.  I am not making enough power to have traction issues or need to heat up my tires for stickyness. 

I'll be taking my big block 67 Mustang there next week for the first time.  That will be a very different traction situation...

air-cooled or diesel:
not a burn out, if you feel good about it, or learn spin 3-4 revolutions in water and 3-4 in burn out box. if you can get front tires loose in 2nd gear, but clutch assembly isn't really made for much shock stress, but try spinning in water a little and come forward and try in burn out, you'd be surprised your times may go down ; I had a low of luck and did lightly in 1st, but the bug 1st its a nono, for this tranny, im not too hot at using 1st.(or 2nd, but your times should come down).

air-cooled or diesel:
on further thought I'd say getting the tires to spin in the water box (a little) and with still spinning pull out of water box, just a few times, not too much. I'd probably use first gear and lightly as possible get the tires to spin and pull out of water box using spinning. I know in a type I (bug,etc) using 1st gear for a burn-out will kill the trans, and in these water cooled, front wheel drive, the input shaft takes a quick left turn, this is a real weak spot. getting tires to spin in water box is easy on drive system, and pulling thru box with still spinning is no real strain to trans, the real strain is breaking loose tires on a dry surface(esp on a track surface). becareful using 1st gear though. you need just a couple of spins.
the other advice I have is during the night keep the engine at a constant temperature, this means running motor all night, you wont burn much fuel at idle, but a constant temp gets you more consistant times, if motor cools off it will change times, more consistant times allows a more accurate dial-in. if you make a run on a cool motor you'll run faster, but as engine heats up from start up through the run your time changes, and theres no way to guarantee your temp on any given start up. a consistant temp works better.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version