Author Topic: Daydreaming a 1.9 TDI for land speed racing - help me dream, please.  (Read 18378 times)

Reply #45November 22, 2013, 05:06:06 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: Daydreaming a 1.9 TDI for land speed racing - help me dream, please.
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2013, 05:06:06 pm »
again, show me the dyno slip that says it makes the upper rpm power. I have looked at probably 20 with different tunes, turbos, and TDI engines, but all of them have a lower rpm PEAK HP. I never stated that the IDI would win in peak hp, just that it would have its power further up the RPM range.

Also if I did the same mods to a TDI I bet it would run like crap. There is so much porting in my head I think it would not run right as a TDI.

Reply #46November 22, 2013, 05:38:16 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2013, 05:38:16 pm »
When mated to a much lower geared 02A or 02J the lower peak hp wouldnt matter much.

I watched a youtube video of a guy with a bone stock AFN installed into a mk1. He was easily accelerating above 100mph on the autobahn while dealing with traffic , ie. Quickly accelerating. 110hp? Was easily encroaching on the 130mph mark. A few fueling mods? I am confident a tdi with the same power as the op's original 1.5 140hp would reach that goal. It would easily do it with 175hp. 175 is nothing these days to get on these engines.

Reply #47November 27, 2013, 11:04:18 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2013, 11:04:18 pm »
roflao... been banned too long... so i guess what is getting said is buy any new tdi up to 2.0 and it will exceed the top speed record... with a chip/tune?? wow sounds simple.. lets see you do it.. its easy peasey... just but one.. drop t in a mk1... it will do it...

id say 130 is pretty much on the nuts edge of gear ratios that can be obtained with enough rpm to do it.. else there would be lots of people able to freeken do it...

so now its think outside the box for the .5mph seeked to break it... as others have gotten to a point not surpased yet..

it is not how fast you can do a 1/4 mile .. its you got 3 miles to do this...

Reply #48September 15, 2014, 03:22:18 pm

Jetmugg

• Veteran

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2014, 03:22:18 pm »
Resurrecting an old thread with updates:

Last week at Bonneville, I was able to bump the H/DT (1.5L diesel truck) record from 105.8 mph to 135.00 mph.  That's in excess of the current G/DT (2.0L diesel truck) record of 129.xx mph.  The record was set at approximately 5,100 rpms through most of the 2nd and 3rd miles.

Now, I'm back to daydreaming about building an engine in the 1.5-2.0L range to go and compete for the 2 liter record.

I still have a 9A block on the engine stand, and I'm back to researching pistons for a low-buck conversion.

Steve.

Reply #49November 06, 2014, 03:36:24 pm

MrDave

• User+

« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2014, 03:36:24 pm »

Hi Steve.

What you're looking for isn't really too much.

I have a full electronic ALH in a rabbit pickup with RC stage 3 chip and .205 injectors, 10mm VE pump.
It dyno'd 149hp at the wheels on a mustang dyno.

I have managed to hit redline (4500rpm) in 5th (3.42 final, 0.71 5th, 175/70/13 rubber), which works out to ~125mph.
Probably could have pushed it more, but some days I'm a bit of a chicken.

The VE 8v TDI has developed a lot since then.  I think guys are hitting 200hp without building the internals, only bolt ons and software.
11mm pump, VNT17/22 or larger, lift pump, bigger injectors.

For transmissions, the 02A from the mk3/B4 TDI with the 3.16 final, then you can swap out 5th for 0.622 for an easy bolt on, but a bit of a jump from 4th to 5th.
If you go with the Eurotuning.cz 6th gear kit for the 02a, you can opt for 0.59 6th with the 0.71 5th, for a theoretical top speed of 160mph.

You'd probably need over 300hp to hit 160mph.

The diesel truck 1.5-2L diesel land speed record is low hanging fruit.  I've been tempted to drive my little pickup down there @ 60mpg, racing, setting a record, and driving it back home again.

Good luck.

-Dave

Reply #50November 07, 2014, 06:37:10 am

Renax

• Junior

« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2014, 06:37:10 am »
Do you need to go over 1.5l? Can't you race your 1.5l in the 2l class?

If you have to go over 1.5, take a 1.6/1.7TD and use the pump you have or get a new, holset on it and go. If gears are a problem get a fwd pickup and use a 02a gearbox? Then this record will be easy picking. Afterall, you beat it with a 1.5l, making not really much power at all compared to dynos of 1.6idi's i've seen.

Someone likes the BMW 1.7td too, shorter stroke than vw 1.6... just sayin;-)
-89 Caravelle Coach 1.6TD (too be holset powered) Daily driver
-80 Golf 1.6D

Reply #51November 16, 2014, 07:13:51 pm

rabbid79

• Veteran

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2014, 07:13:51 pm »

The diesel truck 1.5-2L diesel land speed record is low hanging fruit.  I've been tempted to drive my little pickup down there @ 60mpg, racing, setting a record, and driving it back home again.

Man, I'd be so pissed if someone made of comment like this in a thread of mine.  The way this person trivialized Steve's determination and accomplishments is shameful.  Have some respect dude!  If your TDI is as fast as you say, go start your own landspeed racing thread and prove it!
'15 WRX
Parts for 2.0 TD build - Now looking for suitable car to put it in.

Reply #52November 16, 2014, 11:31:31 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2014, 11:31:31 pm »

Man, I'd be so pissed if someone made of comment like this in a thread of mine.  The way this person trivialized Steve's determination and accomplishments is shameful.  Have some respect dude!  If your TDI is as fast as you say, go start your own landspeed racing thread and prove it!

It is not really, just shows that he has no clue. That is why I didn't take it out. It is fun to laugh at people who think likewise. That and not one person pm'ed me with a complaint.

Reply #53November 17, 2014, 02:02:03 am

MrDave

• User+

« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2014, 02:02:03 am »

It is not really, just shows that he has no clue. That is why I didn't take it out. It is fun to laugh at people who think likewise. That and not one person pm'ed me with a complaint.

Yup.  No clue.   No clue at all.

The OP has come back to say he's 15mph over the 1.5-2L record in the under 1.5L class, and I explained that I'd been near the current 1.5-2.0 speed, and with what engine and what modifications, detailing transmission and hardware to get me to that point.  I also went into detail on how to improve on that with currently available technology, and how to lengthen the legs of the transmission to get more speed without redlining the engine.

As far as I'm aware, the 1.5-2L diesel pickup class record has been there 12+ years because it's not an overly competitive category.  My SCTA rulebook is from  2004ish, when I was investigating heading down to the salt flats.  From the OP's postings it sounds like that record still stands.  Diesel technology has improved significantly since the record was set, so that was a bit surprising.

If I offended the OP, my humblest apologies to him.  I was trying to be helpful, sharing my experiences, not trying to be flippant.

Guess I should go back to lurker mode, lest I offend anybody.

-Dave

Reply #54November 17, 2014, 09:57:21 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2014, 09:57:21 am »

Yup.  No clue.   No clue at all.

The OP has come back to say he's 15mph over the 1.5-2L record in the under 1.5L class, and I explained that I'd been near the current 1.5-2.0 speed, and with what engine and what modifications, detailing transmission and hardware to get me to that point.  I also went into detail on how to improve on that with currently available technology, and how to lengthen the legs of the transmission to get more speed without redlining the engine.

As far as I'm aware, the 1.5-2L diesel pickup class record has been there 12+ years because it's not an overly competitive category.  My SCTA rulebook is from  2004ish, when I was investigating heading down to the salt flats.  From the OP's postings it sounds like that record still stands.  Diesel technology has improved significantly since the record was set, so that was a bit surprising.

If I offended the OP, my humblest apologies to him.  I was trying to be helpful, sharing my experiences, not trying to be flippant.

Guess I should go back to lurker mode, lest I offend anybody.

-Dave

Thanks for proving my point. You haven't competed there and only thought about it 10 years ago. Jetmugg has walked the walk and built what was needed. There were other naysayers that said his 1.5 engine would not even run, let alone set a record or demolish one. Many on here have helped him out. It is a little different than a 1/4 mile top speed event and the 1.9l that set the record IIRC did was not able to back it up as it blew up. I am not trying to discourage you. I would love to see more people try, but I am trying to keep this board honest so when new people come on they can read it and get solid info, not bench racing taken as truth.

Reply #55November 18, 2014, 07:45:02 am

MrDave

• User+

« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2014, 07:45:02 am »

Thanks for proving my point. You haven't competed there and only thought about it 10 years ago. Jetmugg has walked the walk and built what was needed. There were other naysayers that said his 1.5 engine would not even run, let alone set a record or demolish one. Many on here have helped him out. It is a little different than a 1/4 mile top speed event and the 1.9l that set the record IIRC did was not able to back it up as it blew up. I am not trying to discourage you. I would love to see more people try, but I am trying to keep this board honest so when new people come on they can read it and get solid info, not bench racing taken as truth.

Thank you, Global Mod, for the public shaming.  I understand where you're coming from, and I for one wouldn't want to moderate a discussion board.

If you read the OP's first post in this thread, then my post, I detailed where I was on tarmac, and options to move beyond that.   Those options would net 200hp wheel and put a TDI small truck deep into into the 130s or into the 140s on tarmac, which could be low 130s on salt, enough to get into the 130 Club,  and set the class record.

The OP's current 1.5 build is amazing, and I would imagine that next season he'll return with a 1.6 bottom end and decimate the 1.5 to 2L record with a 1.6 IDI.   

-Dave

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 02:09:37 am by MrDave »

Reply #56November 18, 2014, 10:57:15 pm

rabbid79

• Veteran

« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2014, 10:57:15 pm »
Hey you guys, this is my fault.  I misunderstood what MrDave was saying originally.  When he said the 1.5-2L diesel class was low hanging fruit, I misunderstood that to be the same 1.5-and-under class that Steve was in.  That's why I thought he was dissing on Steve's accomplishments.

Again, I'm sorry MrDave for not comprehending what was actually being said, and hope there's no hard feelings.
'15 WRX
Parts for 2.0 TD build - Now looking for suitable car to put it in.

Reply #57November 20, 2014, 02:08:47 am

MrDave

• User+

« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2014, 02:08:47 am »

Rabbid79, thank you for your last post.

-Dave

Reply #58March 22, 2015, 12:33:17 pm

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2015, 12:33:17 pm »
unless ive misunderstood; steve is running thru the trap at 4000some rpm in 4th gear. thats right in the max of man's estimation, ive found my ahu gets easily above 100mph, so if you gear it right you should easily be able to hit 4000rpm in 4th gear, depending on your gearing and stuff. whats you choice i havent seen, youve posted in the idi section, what engine are you going for this class?
getting above 120mph shouldnt be that hard of a job to do.