Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: can i build a NA block to handle a turbo?  (Read 6765 times)

Reply #15March 16, 2006, 08:57:56 am

Kudagra

• Veteran

• www.no-coast.com
can i build a NA block to handle a turbo?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2006, 08:57:56 am »
Finally..thats what Ive been looking for for a long time. Thanks a bunch. Sorry for the interragtion but it seemed you knew what you were talking about.
Turbo boost libido and passive restraints
And as of yet I haven't heard even a single complaint
I've got the tools of the trade and a fuel injected heart
Efficiency is beautiful, efficiency is art

Reply #16March 16, 2006, 11:28:11 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #17March 16, 2006, 03:41:06 pm

Kudagra

• Veteran

• www.no-coast.com
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2006, 03:41:06 pm »
Quote from: "fspGTD"
FYI - http://www.vwdiesel.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=357

Well I KNOW you know what you are talking about :D
Turbo boost libido and passive restraints
And as of yet I haven't heard even a single complaint
I've got the tools of the trade and a fuel injected heart
Efficiency is beautiful, efficiency is art

Reply #18March 16, 2006, 03:50:20 pm

myke_w

• Veteran

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2006, 03:50:20 pm »
As has been stated here and elsewhere, the dealer part number for later model (85, 86?) solid heads are the same part number, ie the na number supercedes the td one from earlier, which leads most people to conclude that the later heads are either all stronger and contain a different allow, or that they were really all the same as na anyway.
Contact me for hard to find for idi and tdi parts

Reply #19March 16, 2006, 04:54:07 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2006, 04:54:07 pm »
my dad has a 12mm n/a head on his 85 turbo diesel jetta, and he's had no trouble with it, it's been dail driven for 2 years.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #20March 21, 2006, 02:58:21 am

2mAn

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2006, 02:58:21 am »
k no one has really answered my questions.....

can a NA block be built to handle a turbo? im used to gasser engines so im thinkin forged pistons and rods, and obviously an intercooler for the turbo setup.

ive heard of people turboing the NA motor and not pushing it much, but im talkin the full monty :lol:

Reply #21March 21, 2006, 07:48:52 am

Justin

• Veteran

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2006, 07:48:52 am »
my na bottom end has seen 23 pounds of boost and held up fine so far, egt's have not been over 900 farenheight, so i would say the answer to your question is yes, use turbo rings in the na pistons and use the oil squirters like i have. and use a 12 mm headbolt block

later
Justin
www.archeryprostaffmi.com
1985 GMC pickup 4x4 lift kit and runs 14.625 @ 91mph
1982 VW rabbit pickup 1.6L just rebuilt, 100mm cv's, 02A transmission
1997 Geo Tracker 1.9 TDI-M, variable gate turbo, Giles Pump

Reply #22March 21, 2006, 12:24:51 pm

myke_w

• Veteran

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2006, 12:24:51 pm »
Forged pistons and rods are overkill. You'd be hard pressed to rip up a stock bottom end with the kind of power you'll likely make. To run it hard, which it sounds like you plan to do, and to be reliable, you need oil squirters to cool the pistons, which means you need a td block, or to tap your existing block and install oil squirters.  To use oil squirters, you need pistons clearenced (td stock or na modded.) The purpose of using an improved bottom end on a gasser is to lower compression. TD and D have the same compression, and same bottom end sans squirters, there's just more heat, which is addressed by the oil hitting the piston bottoms, carrying it away. Some have run na block turbo'd with some success, but to really flog it, spend the money, do it right, and go true TD. Your simplest solution is to go source a worn td, rebuild it stock with oversized pistons, and intercool it if you want more power. You'll have the same or less money in it, and it will be reliable.

Reply #23March 21, 2006, 03:10:46 pm

2mAn

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2006, 03:10:46 pm »
thank you, that the answer i wanted, not what i was looking for but it answered my question... but now i have a few more....

its pretty hard to find a TD motor here in CA, so lets say i wanted to mod the NA block, i could have the oil squirters drilled in, then the easiest solution from there is to just buy a set of 1.9 TD pistons and rings. id also be intercooling the turbo setup, porting the head, a new cam maybe, is there anything else i should be looking at, like TD injectors

how would i know if my motor uses the 12mm headbolt? its from a 79 so i thnk its also a 1.5L, any way to check that?

would i need a pressure release valve like gas engines use?

where can i pick up a set of new oil squirters?

ive heard about TD cams, who makes em?

and im guessin the pistons are a dealer item only?

Reply #24March 21, 2006, 03:50:05 pm

myke_w

• Veteran

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2006, 03:50:05 pm »
Make it easy on yourself, have a tired 1.6 td block shipped out to you (seller willing), a pallet shipping companie might charge you 150 for the freight.

On, 1.9's
1.9 pistons are all notched IIRC, and really expesive new, all 1.9 blocks also already have squirters.

I seem to sense that you are thinking bigger is better with displacement, but for the money the 1.6 is cheaper to build, repair, and way easier to find parts for in the us. It also makes similar power to the 1.9. Some would argue it's more reliable and has more potential longevity.

Pressure release? You mean blow off valve, the stock intakes have them built in and most people disable them.

Diesels can handle far more boost than gassers and are much more forgiving to haphazard tuning.

oilsquireter, find a 2.0 ABA code motor that blew up, or of course a 1.6 td or 1.9 na or td

Td cams?
No clue on that one.

1.6 td pistons can be found with rings for 350 a set anyday on the aftermarket.