Author Topic: vw mk1/mk2 factory cruise for diesel  (Read 3325 times)

May 02, 2013, 01:51:43 pm

CRSMP5

vw mk1/mk2 factory cruise for diesel
« on: May 02, 2013, 01:51:43 pm »
8v or wolf can copy paste for whoretex guy..

i have done this for years.. first time 93.. last time 6 mo ago..

no not that.. lack speed sensor for below...

audi 4k, 5k, quantium (my fav) mk1 (84 option and rair on bunny) and mk2...

reason quantiium my fav.. its cruise harness is not taped into the main harness like bunny/mk2.. it is run beside it in the loom so is sepoerate!

ideal is 84-87 for dash switch/turn lever.. but the switch plug is the same so can add or use pre ce2 on ce2 so on.. just potmetal/connectors for the turn is the differance.. not cruise wire..

parts list...

switch

vac pump

vac ball/throttle.. imo b3 passat/mk3 under dash pod is best/cleanest to "make a bracket" to do.. diesel rair but mount was to the ip
pump..

brake/clutch switches.. the after market kinds can be used.. all it does is break ground to the control box and interupt the vac to the pod also

speed sensor on back of speedo head.. mk1 westy bunny has to have a potmetal square removed.. looking at doner speedo head you can see this.. time w/dremal here.. german mph 82+ clip on speedo cable is cut out!! but not kph ones.. they screw on too i think.. mk2 all i think are cut out.. this is how speed is read to the controller

the control box.. same 84-mk3..

harness.. do not threat.. you can build one.. i did my original at 19 in 94... or quantium is easiest to get.. but rest of cars can be gotten w/work..

the test method on work bench.. 1 ground.. 1 power.. and test procedure from bently and  you can test all parts for easy peasy install.. in theory can mount it all under glovebox/dash too.. for that clean look..  

this will not work on pre 81 round speedo style dashes.. they lack area for sensor.. newer has spot.. just most filled in.. the guy i sold me last 2 set ups too, one 6 mo ago.. cuts it out vis dremal.. he found me on purpose after 13 years, i sold him a set up in 00.. cause he had a cherry caddy needing.. so the older ones need cable style magnet system that the op seekes info on..

all the parts except speed sensor was from a b3 passat.. speed sensor was from audi 5k as 99% had cruise.. passat b3 integrated for comp so no work.. and i knew where poo load of 5k clusters were to get one.. the horder hooked guy up..
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 02:03:43 pm by CRSMP5 »

Reply #1October 03, 2013, 10:42:06 am

Rising

• Veteran

Re: vw mk1/mk2 factory cruise for diesel
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 10:42:06 am »
BUMP!

I'd like to ask a few questions about installing cruise control bits off other VWs.

SO you got all your parts but the speed sensor off a b3 passat? How much of that is interchangable with like the mk3 units? I have a ton of those in a junkyard near me. But mk2 and mk1's are Impossible to find...

'84 Rabbit Diesel- 1.6D Stock

Reply #2October 03, 2013, 02:16:42 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 02:16:42 pm »
turn signal stock.. pre 88 and 88-99.5

you can cut the in d off and reglue....

speed sensor... gotta be the 2 wire kind.. mk1-mk2 vws... vanagons... or audi till 92ish.. again 2 wire...

the rest are a pcb ribbon cable... ive never muddled with one.. but if you figure the 2 leads out, may work...

pedal switches you gotta be creative... ball hooking up to throttle same thing..

the pump, silver box, wiring works all same way... just unthreading the loom sux... to make a loom... not that hard if you got connectors, a bently and understand the diagram...

Reply #3October 03, 2013, 03:39:30 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 03:39:30 pm »
Hmmmmm... I could raid my 89 and put the stuff in the 86... I have some 89 stuff from the boneyard too.

Fixmyvw.com