Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: EGT probe on Downpipe vs Manifold?  (Read 1816 times)

September 09, 2013, 10:40:26 am

rudygetz

EGT probe on Downpipe vs Manifold?
« on: September 09, 2013, 10:40:26 am »
I've read up on the FAQ's about many people putting the EGT prope on the exaust manifold. I was wondering if putting it on the downpipe would also work? I don't have a stock manifold off of a 1.6 td but something else so the location would differ too on the manifold.

Hope to hear from some members on here on downpipe vs manifold.

Reply #1September 09, 2013, 10:58:20 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

Re: EGT probe on Downpipe vs Manifold?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 10:58:20 am »
The pertinent temp is pre-turbine.  Just as increased pressure increases the temperature of a gas, reduced pressure decreases it.  The pressure drops across the turbine based on exhaust manifold pressure and the efficiency of the turbine.  Good luck doing the math to figure out a pre-turbine temp from a post-turbine probe.

Reply #2September 09, 2013, 11:00:45 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 11:00:45 am »
If you want a gauge just to have a gauge then you could put it post turbine. But as Libby stated the real information is pre turbine so that is the only place to put one if you want a gauge that actually does what it is intended and keep your engine safe

Reply #3September 09, 2013, 11:54:44 am

rudygetz

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 11:54:44 am »
If you want a gauge just to have a gauge then you could put it post turbine. But as Libby stated the real information is pre turbine so that is the only place to put one if you want a gauge that actually does what it is intended and keep your engine safe

Thank you. I've just finished installing on my manifold.

Fixmyvw.com