S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Techtonics Tuning HD rubber motor mounts, Rabbit Caddy  (Read 3647 times)

August 23, 2013, 03:18:15 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

Techtonics Tuning HD rubber motor mounts, Rabbit Caddy
« on: August 23, 2013, 03:18:15 pm »
http://s28.photobucket.com/user/wolf_walker/library/Cars/TT%20Mounts

I've wondered a long time about who made them, and the cost, finally bought a set and
figured I'd put the info I could never find online, online.

The trans mount is Meyle Germany, which in my experience from Meyle often means Meyle China
or Meyle ***hole 3rd world country, but it does say Germany and that may be the case.
I have had bad trans side mounts before, and this one does not seem to be one of them.
In my experience the drv trans mount isn't too badly stressed in a stock-ish application, though
I have had them so soft they were not usable, this one isn't objectionably soft.

The front snubber is Hamburg Technic, as is the rear trans mount, I've only ever used there
944 Porsche mounts and found them less-crappy than the URO's or such initially, beyond that
I don't have a lot of comment yet other than they feel and look like quality parts, more so
than any of the other assorted aftermarket examples of these I've used over the years (decades).

The pass side ***-mount is the correct structure for a diesel, solid rubber rather than multi air gaps,
and the rubber feels stuff as it should, the shell has distinctive radial machining marks and the VW PN is
present as seen in the photo's.  I am still researching but I suspect it's either an actual VW dealer mount,
which I haven't seen one of in a long time, or a brand called Anchor, which may well be a re-branded
mount from whoever makes them for VW.  It isn't labeled otherwise that I can see.

I haven't priced the HT mounts recently, the Anchor is on Rock Auto if anyone wants to compare pics.
All in all for $115 shipped I'm not disappointed, they are a better set than I've seen elsewhere, but
I strongly suspect the markup is excessive.  I don't really blame em in this case, nor am I surprised.
I'll report when I get them installed but I see no tell-tales to make me concerned, they were even nice enough
to mark "top" on the two that have an orientation.  I'd like to see some close up pics and observations
about the set that Black Forest is selling. 

Take it for what it's worth...

Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #1August 25, 2013, 01:56:16 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
Re: Techtonics Tuning HD rubber motor mounts, Rabbit Caddy
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 01:56:16 am »
Parts geek has a passenger side that is the proper design and half the price of TT's:
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1981/volkswagen/rabbit_pickup/engine_mechanical/engine_mount.html

I bought one and like the quality.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #2August 25, 2013, 02:22:34 am

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 02:22:34 am »
The FEQ?  I've run them with good luck considering the price and obvious origin.  This one is stiffer rubber fwiw.
I really wish I had a rubber shore gauge but a decent one ain't cheap last time I looked.

No argument the TT stuff is money, but they are still less than the dealer was.
It was worth it just to finally know what they are.
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #3August 26, 2013, 12:10:15 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 12:10:15 pm »
they made 4 mounts at vw originally...

mk1 no ac..  we always replaced with below as they never wear out..
mk1 gas with ac, diesel no ac..  the "ac version you get now"....  and do not last on diesel w/ac.. :(   
diesel w ac... long time nla...
the rairest of them all... diesel w ac and turbo... only seen 1 of these and guy think still hordin it...

the diesel ac had a different rubber then the gas versions... and the td one due to turbo weight is really odd in how it looks... but made with same goofy rubber.. but lots of extra for the added turbo weight...

Reply #4August 27, 2013, 05:18:39 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 05:18:39 pm »
Thats about what I remembered from last time I dug through the EPC, I didn't figure any of them other than maybe a gasser one was still available.

Mentat Text Two