Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: while cranking to bleed air from injector lines, engine started (with no glow)  (Read 1680 times)

August 21, 2013, 10:52:47 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

After finishing putting the IP back in and injector hard lines in, cranked starter for about 5 seconds to bleed air out of the lines, tightened 3 of the 4 lines nuts to crank again to bleed the last injector line and before I tightened the last injector nut, the engine started! I have manually controlled glow plugs and they were not turned on during bleeding so I was very surprised it started. Ambient temp was around 80F, engine was dead cold. I thought these idi's need glow plugs to start even in summer?

Reply #1August 21, 2013, 10:54:09 pm

8v-of-fury

No. I routinely start my IDI's on compression alone in the summer time. Mainly gotta be 20* or hotter though.

Reply #2August 21, 2013, 11:17:53 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Mine with retarded *Giles spec is a bit retarded* timing will start without GP most of the time it is over 60F like normal. When I was bleeding the air out of mine it started on 3 also.

Reply #3August 21, 2013, 11:21:22 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
Mine always needs the glowplugs when the engine is cold but it's an auto and doesn't crank over nearly as fast as a manual.
Tyler

Reply #4August 21, 2013, 11:42:06 pm

8v-of-fury

I have started my M-TDI with only one injection line hooked up before.. not a glow plug thing, but dammn, 1 cylinder firing every other crank rotation.

Reply #5August 22, 2013, 07:41:13 am

bbob203

• Veteran

Ive still not hooked up glowplugs on my mtdi.. has started down to 30*f so far hasnt been exposed to lower temps. My  idi will start w/o plugs in the summer.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent
Need a car transported a long distance? Pm me for details.

S-PAutomotive.com