S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Caddy/Rabbit front sway bar..  (Read 8989 times)

August 17, 2013, 12:53:30 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

Caddy/Rabbit front sway bar..
« on: August 17, 2013, 12:53:30 pm »
So I've never had one, in all these years, and I'd like to try one.

Searching around hasn't found me a list of sizes and what they came on, GTI, Cabriolet, etc, or
what is a good front only bar for a Caddy.  I suspect something not to big to keep understeer
down.  I don't drive hard but a little less body role is the goal.  I'm not screwing with, or paying for, a
rear bar on a Caddy at the moment.  Thoughts? 

Central California if anyone has one for sale too... 

Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #1August 17, 2013, 01:52:25 pm

CRSMP5

Re: Caddy/Rabbit front sway bar..
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 01:52:25 pm »
year? westy bunny/caddy, in either 82 or 83 moved the brake and fuel lines... where are yours? if they run behind the control arem they all need moved... 83-84 were like germans and run them on the other side of te floor suport to open up the area the sway bar goes..

id keep it small likt gti/gli... cabby may be slightly bigger along with rocco.. but i honestly think stock all same... you do not have a rear bar... jettas/cabbies come stock with them, then sportier, gli/wolfsburg got fronts.. aka 1.8 vs 1.7.. and no diesels.. so to put a large front on with no rear.. i would not.. stick to stock.. 

Reply #2August 17, 2013, 04:58:52 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 04:58:52 pm »
Just get one off  a GTI or other car that has one, drill 2 holes in each control arm to bolt it on.  IIRC, my Caddy was an 82, and I never rerouted anything, and did it on a couple cars.
IMO a lower tie bar is  almost as much improvement again.   I happened to find a Neuspeed one, but EMT conduit with the ends smashed and drilled  works just as well.

Reply #3August 18, 2013, 02:13:08 am

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 02:13:08 am »
82, I hadn't heard about the brake lines moving, interesting.

I have a hefty piece of angle to attach the forward LCA points together, was thinking about a K bar.
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #4August 18, 2013, 03:00:11 am

mystery3

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 03:00:11 am »
On my '81 the fuel lines would have interfered. I'd suggest the four-point lower tie bar. Ever make it up to the bay area?

Reply #5August 18, 2013, 03:25:23 am

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 03:25:23 am »
On my '81 the fuel lines would have interfered. I'd suggest the four-point lower tie bar. Ever make it up to the bay area?

Gas/diesel, same?

Not yet, just did an east of LA mountains camping trip, trying to recover now.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #6August 18, 2013, 09:08:20 am

CRSMP5

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 09:08:20 am »
if you got angle.. same as k bar...

i knew 81 they in way.. just not sure on if they moved them in 82 or 83 on the westy bunny... but look at them.. then decide.. if in the way.. i doubt it is worth the effort.. if not.. go for it.. but i hear of lots removing fronts for better steering..

Reply #7August 18, 2013, 10:34:36 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 10:34:36 pm »
I agree the lower 4-point is the best thing to add to the front-end.

Reply #8August 18, 2013, 10:41:12 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 10:41:12 pm »
I could do that, is it really going to improve my casual-cornering feel though?
I've had good luck with chassis braces on BMW's and older Volvo's but I tended to
drive them harder.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #9August 18, 2013, 10:56:24 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 10:56:24 pm »
Any cornering stresses the horrible mk1 platform and its horrible chassis design. LOL, plain and simple.

My brothers car and mine have had identical suspension at one point in time, and his had an upper strut bar as well as the loiwer K.. WAY better for all types of driving.

Reply #10August 18, 2013, 11:25:27 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 11:25:27 pm »
Well the last half million miles haven't been all that horrible, but it'd be nice if she'd sway a little less in corners.
I've had stiffer springs and shocks in the past and lower profile tires that accomplished just that, but this setup
currently actually rides pretty well so I'm loathe to change it.  But relatively subtle curves introduce a predictable,
but what I'd call objectonable, bit of body roll.  I'll stick my L channel between the LCA forward mounts and see if I can
find a sway bar I guess.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #11January 04, 2014, 09:23:48 pm

vwzzuk

• Junior

• http://www.acmeadapters.com
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 09:23:48 pm »
I have an 82 rabbit diesel pickup that rolled a lot with a load in the back. I lifted it 2 inches so my center of gravity is higher. Because of that, I decided to put a bar on the front to see if it made much difference with roll. I found a front sway bar on a Cabrolet at my local wrecking yard. All I had to do was to drill out a hole in each control arm as previously stated. It made a huge difference with roll and its probably the easiest mod with a return in performance. I didn't think it would do much since the bar is so small, compared to other bars on different vehicles I've used, but I was very happy with the results.

Don't forget to get the rear control arm brackets for the bar. My brackets had just enough room that I could leave the steel lines where they were. There was barely enough space/room to bolt them on without modification.

Love the results.
91 Jetta, 1.6NA
87 Suzuki Samurai, 1.9 AAZ
92 Sidekick 4dr, 1.9TDI

Reply #12January 05, 2014, 01:18:44 am

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 01:18:44 am »
Yeah...  5 months of driving once every two weeks later and I still haven't gotten to it.  Or the chassis brace I made last year, or the motor mounts. 
I can't remember last time I filled the tank up.  Kinda sad.

What I really want, is a Scirocco body to put this motor in.

Or another W114/115 Mercedes.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #13January 05, 2014, 05:20:03 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 05:20:03 pm »
I have an 82 rabbit diesel pickup that rolled a lot with a load in the back. I lifted it 2 inches so my center of gravity is higher. Because of that,
Get a bit of square tube, and space your rear bumpstops 2-3 inches  down from the frame.  Helped a lot with the 30 gal tank in my caddy.  Yeah, it went far between fillups.

Reply #14April 08, 2014, 07:05:48 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 07:05:48 pm »
Well I finally bought a cabby sway bar with the hardware from a fellow, and a scirocco lower K bar and some sort of upper strut bar.
We'll see how that feels, Addco seems to still have a rear bar but I'm going to drive it some first and see whats what.

Mentat Text Two