Author Topic: Canadian GTD conversion project  (Read 2986 times)

June 15, 2013, 03:02:14 pm

CoolAirVw

• Junior

Canadian GTD conversion project
« on: June 15, 2013, 03:02:14 pm »
Customer purchased a canadian GTD motor from Ebay.  I've installed it for him and have a couple issues I would like to ask about.

#1  Seems to have a coolant pump plumbing coolant from a "heater hose" to the turbo, and maybe a coolant sensor or switch mounted.  How is this supposed to be wired?  We didn't have these on any cars I've seen in USA so I'm hoping someone from canada can tell me how its wired.    See pics.

coolant pump

coolant sensor or switch?

I need to know if my assumption that the item in the second pic is a temperature sensor or temperature switch.  I need a general description of how this system should be wired (ie install relay with the switch providing ground) or maybe its a temp sensor and needs a complex relay or controller wired in to turn on the pump.   Thanks for the help.

#2  The timing cover has these little spacers (pic below) and two of them are missing.  So if someone has some from an old 1.5 please contact me as I would love to buy them.    I have a lathe and can make them but I would rather buy them as making something on a lathe gets time consuming.

85 Jetta Turbo Diesel
75 Porsche 914
93 GMC Truck
99 Caravan <--wifes gotta drive something :)

Reply #1June 15, 2013, 04:42:22 pm

CRSMP5

Re: Canadian GTD conversion project
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 04:42:22 pm »
it has 2 steel tube spacers that push thru.. not mushroom ones you show fr the 2nd 2...

timming belt and i think front facing bolt on head be #1... the front corner, backside be manifold use those 2..

Reply #2June 15, 2013, 11:28:53 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 11:28:53 pm »
GTDs never existed in Canada. Sorry that's all the help I can be.
Tyler

Reply #3June 16, 2013, 12:14:30 am

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 12:14:30 am »
Google a 944 Turbo's pump operation, I suspect it's the same setup pretty much and it'll give you some hints.
It's probly overkill unless one treats the thing like a jerk.
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #4June 21, 2013, 10:32:50 am

1outof5

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 10:32:50 am »
pic #1 shows the coolant water pump. And yes its uses the coolant to cool the turbo. The connector in this picture is just a connector.
pic#2 shows the thermostat switch. It kicks off when the temperature is to high and then stays on untill the temp goes below the heat leveal.
the power comes from a 10A fuse that's direct from the battery. This enables it to stay on even if the engine/ingnition is off.

so + of battery (I took it from the altenator) to + fuse, - fuse to + on thermoswitch, - thermoswitch to + connector on pump, - pump connector to ground

hope this helps

Reply #5August 26, 2013, 10:00:05 am

phaetonv10

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 10:00:05 am »
I have the same water pump + turbo setup but my car doesn't have the wiring for it. I tried wiring it up but when I teated the pump by directly wiring it to the battery, it didn't work. So I left it alone.

How important is it to get this pump working??
Considering I am in pakistan, and during summers temperatures are in the high 40s Celsius, and the cooling system has to work HARD to keep things under control.
THE LEMON
1.6 GTD, FMIC, ARP Studs, Brembo brakes, Power Clutch, ibiza tdi twin fan setup, Racing Seats, 40 mm all aluminium radiator, audiophile music.

S-PAutomotive.com