Author Topic: B3 wagon, getting a tdi this week  (Read 5048 times)

August 07, 2013, 09:27:51 pm

thegimpster

• Administrator
  • Junior

• VDubShirts.com Awesome VW themed shirts with attitude
B3 wagon, getting a tdi this week
« on: August 07, 2013, 09:27:51 pm »
I have been buying some cars off of another shop who is looking to clear out some space. I bought a mk1 jetta coupe, a jetta ecodiesel, and yesterday I picked up a clean 91 B3 Passat wagon 16v auto for like 500. I towed it home yesterday with my mk3 tdi jetta.  We started pulling it apart at 10 or so and by 2 the motor was out, dash was out, wiring was pulled, and more was done. That included lunch too. I've got to get the shifter box out and the pedal cluster and axles and i'm ready to go in with the TDI stuff out of a wrecked b4 I bought for 800 a while back to put in my mk2 jetta coupe that has been at the body shop for like 5 months now. Hopefully I can get the tdi out tomorrow and all of the stuff pulled out of it. I'd like to have it done by Saturday but I expect with other stuff going on in the shop it will be sometime next week when its done.

Drove Ben's Passat today too and it was fun. now i'm looking forward to mine more. Need to get a black leather interior for it but that's not a big deal. Need to get a trailer hitch first.

Check out www.vdubshirts.com for cool VW themed shirts with attitude.

Reply #1August 07, 2013, 09:43:47 pm

CRSMP5

Re: B3 wagon, getting a tdi this week
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 09:43:47 pm »
if your rear bumper is white with no damage stop... someone cut huge ugly hole in mine.. for a improperly mounted hitch.. but how id redesign it will pul cars cross country and make use of ugly hole.. told ben when he ready to do his we would swap covers and build him the best i know so it out of way when not in use... aka hidden receiver..

refoam heater box with new heatercore too.. id use the b4 box so the r134 stuff converts over...

b4 rad/front mount system... b4 ic stuff direct fit..

main subframe... tdi different themm b3.. 3bolt vs 1 bolt rear  mount... also steering racks different too.... so make sure you note what pieces you use..
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 09:48:04 pm by CRSMP5 »

Reply #2August 08, 2013, 08:23:10 am

thegimpster

• Administrator
  • Junior

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 08:23:10 am »
my car is like a faded blueish silver color, not white. Sorry. We talked a little about your bumper hitch design, i like it and wouldn't mind one. I planned on refoaming the heater core while i was in there. I vacuumed all of the foam out from underneath the dash with the shop vac while i was in there. Just sucked it all off the wiring harnesses while it was still attached.

On the A/C im going to play it by ear. I sold ben one of my compressor hoses off of the b4 a while back because he needed it. I may keep the r12 stuff because the system is fully charged and i have an r12 machine at the shop with a full tank. it just depends on if i can mount the compressor to the tdi block and swap to a serpentine clutch on it. If not its custom lines or change a lot of stuff out to use all of the r134a stuff.

I haven't dropped the subframe yet because i still need to roll the car around some to get the b4 up on the lift and i have an e30 to work on friday.

Reply #3August 08, 2013, 09:25:03 am

CRSMP5

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 09:25:03 am »
you can use mk1, mk2 diesel with air ac/alt set ups.. but you cannot mix match r12 and r134 pieces.. aka brackets, clutches so on..

sux you sold that... but with heater box out.. thats the hardest part of the swap...

if your doing serpiteen belt.. it is r134 conversion.. with box out.. its just swap boxes.. then 2 hardlies round strut cake w engine out.. ac and rad out for room.. i mean.. really do the r134 swap as you got all but 1 of the lines...

Reply #4August 08, 2013, 10:34:18 am

thegimpster

• Administrator
  • Junior

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 10:34:18 am »
I guess i could bribe him to sell me his hoses back since his ac doesnt work. I don't have a problem swapping over to a v belt setup, i've used em for years. Thats what my mtdi caddy has one it, but its just a single belt because its non ps, non ac.

Reply #5August 08, 2013, 01:43:57 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 01:43:57 pm »
my b3 has mk1 diesel alt/ac set up.. stock b3 lines fit right onto comp.. and even converted to r134 on it.. works well... but serp sety up so much more easy to keep belt adjusted...

Reply #6August 08, 2013, 02:39:45 pm

thegimpster

• Administrator
  • Junior

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 02:39:45 pm »
well the b4 is ripped apart now. Motor, wiring harness, dash, shifter, pedal cluster and all has been ripped off of it. Work is done for the day though because i have to go up to Nashville, In and pick up a mk4 parts car i told a  guy i would buy off of him. Some general maintanence stuff on the motor and ill start transfering it all over to the b3. I debated swapping the dash and all the other stuff over, i just don't think i care all that much now. I'd like new carpet though while it is this far apart. The windshield has been leaking and the carpet is kind of scruddy in a few places and the padding is wet.

Reply #7August 08, 2013, 02:45:59 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 02:45:59 pm »
i know where a black carpet is....

Reply #8August 08, 2013, 04:09:32 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 04:09:32 pm »
i know where a black carpet is....

Dont give the guy any ideas...
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent
Need a car transported a long distance? Pm me for details.

Reply #9August 08, 2013, 04:31:13 pm

thegimpster

• Administrator
  • Junior

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 04:31:13 pm »
I doubt i could have it by this weekend. I sent my minions to go pick up the mk4 so i'm throwing the pedal cluster and shifter and some other parts on the b3 now. the b4 is all stripped out.

Reply #10August 08, 2013, 04:50:32 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 04:50:32 pm »
make ben drive here to pick it up.. :D its out of car

Reply #11August 08, 2013, 09:27:34 pm

thegimpster

• Administrator
  • Junior

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 09:27:34 pm »
If I change the carpet to black I feel like I would want to change all of the stuff to black. Some grey carpet would be nice though. I think I can clean this carpet up and maybe replace the stuff underneath it.

Reply #12August 08, 2013, 09:32:15 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 09:32:15 pm »
I used emergency blankets from a flee market in my jetta it worked great.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent
Need a car transported a long distance? Pm me for details.

Reply #13August 08, 2013, 10:12:07 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 10:12:07 pm »
ohh i got  black plastics too... mix match for 2 tone on that makes it look good... no wagon plastics/black specific stuff :(

my sedan was black plastics and carpet.. rest beigh leather... when i built my wagon... i reused my black stuff and kept the grey cloth parts.. hate leather.. tinted the windows.. now it nice to drive in hot or cold weather. .hate leather..

Reply #14August 09, 2013, 09:02:11 am

thegimpster

• Administrator
  • Junior

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 09:02:11 am »
nothing quite like searing the flesh on your butt crack when you sit down on a hot leather seat in the middle of summer. Progress continues today... Well, it would if i'd get off  the computer and get to work.

Have i mentioned i hate swapping frigging pedal clusters. Like absolutely frigging hate with a burning passion? Well I do.