S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Sorry to spam guys but this is the only competent forum I am a member of..  (Read 7042 times)

July 28, 2013, 08:26:07 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

My neighbor has a 1996 K1500 with a 5.0 that he wants me to fix. Shop told him it'd be nine million dollars for everything. Well everything was a new rear end, an exhaust leak, and brake lights and hazards are inoperative.

God are these brake lights killin me! I searched around and found the multifunction switch goes bad on these. Well that made sense, because the hazard button wouldn't push down! So I said there's my brake light problem too. So i put a multifunction switch in. Well it fixed the hazards, but not the brake lights. So I checked the fuse, pulled the relay and jumped power to the brake lights.. and only the high mount brake light comes on!

I checked the stoplamp switch on the brake pedal, and it seemed ok; nothing burnt up or anything. I took it apart.

The turn signals will light up the same damn filament in that bulb, so obviously the circuit board is good, and the ground is good. The hazards flash that same filament to create the hazard blink. But I cannot send power to those bulbs with the brake pedal, and even if i could only the high mount works!

Anyone know what that's about? I'll put a stoplamp switch on it just for fun, but it's not activating the relay anyway.

New multifunction switch.

If anyone has a wiring diagram that would be helpful; hate to buy a chilton and then it's not in there, or is vague.

Or an alldata password.  I had one for years but then it got changed, and i don't work there anymore.

Reply #1July 28, 2013, 11:14:03 pm

bajacalal

I would try a brake switch. The way I think a lot of American trucks of this era work is that the brake light switch ties into the multi-function switch, basically into the hazard circuit, it just provides "continuous" power to the rear hazards/turns instead of pulsed 12 volts from the flasher. Could be that or the wiring in the column. I'm guessing the guy towed a trailer and the lights were too much draw, or had faulty wiring, got the brake lamp circuit hot. I've seen this before. I've also had pretty good luck finding wiring diagrams with google image search "k1500 brake wiring diagram" for example. Auto Zone I think also has this stuff on their website under "repair help."

Reply #2July 29, 2013, 10:08:57 am

• Veteran

Have a real close look at the wires that plug in to the multifunction switch.  It's very common for the wires to break right at the plugin especially if it has a tilt column or the some of the terminals are bad in the plugin itself.  Also make sure the ground is good at the rear lights.
Toyota truck 4x4 with Mtdi, M-vnt gt1749va, 11mm pump, fmic, smog .216 nozzles.  Sold!
Working on 1993 4runner mtdi, gtb1756vk, 11mm pump, smog .216 nozzles, custom 1" thick adaptor plate, pd150 intake manifold.

Reply #3July 29, 2013, 12:58:03 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

The multifunction switch came with a pigtail that replaced the wire all the way to the bulkhead connector.

And does the turn signal run off the same ground as the brake light?

Reply #4July 29, 2013, 01:18:01 pm

• Veteran

The multifunction switch came with a pigtail that replaced the wire all the way to the bulkhead connector.

And does the turn signal run off the same ground as the brake light?
Same ground as in the chassis.  A bad ground causes some pretty weird things to happen like taillights turning on when you step on the brakes or the signal indicators in the instrument cluster turning on when brakes are applied.Your best bet would be to track down a wiring diagram.  I might be able to dig something up for you on Wednesday when I go back to work.
Toyota truck 4x4 with Mtdi, M-vnt gt1749va, 11mm pump, fmic, smog .216 nozzles.  Sold!
Working on 1993 4runner mtdi, gtb1756vk, 11mm pump, smog .216 nozzles, custom 1" thick adaptor plate, pd150 intake manifold.

Reply #5July 29, 2013, 01:57:39 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

I would greatly appreciate it

Reply #6October 23, 2013, 06:38:32 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
I would greatly appreciate it

x2, need same diagram, cousins 94 half ton, the reverse lights come on when you hit the brakes..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

S-PAutomotive.com