S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Auto vs 5 Speed IP Question  (Read 2043 times)

July 23, 2013, 07:58:38 pm

Toby

• Veteran

Auto vs 5 Speed IP Question
« on: July 23, 2013, 07:58:38 pm »
Will a 5 speed IP work on a 2000 Jetta TDI automatic?

Reply #1July 23, 2013, 10:04:25 pm

CRSMP5

Re: Auto vs 5 Speed IP Question
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 10:04:25 pm »
yea.. but auto 11mm vs stick 10mm..

Reply #2July 23, 2013, 11:42:59 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 11:42:59 pm »
Toby, here I was under the the impression you knew everything? ;) Haha

Yes, it will work. The ONLY difference mechanically speaking is the size of the distributor plunger. 10mm with the 5 speed vs 11mm with the auto trans.

Just be ware, that is a significant downgrade in movable fueling. Come to think of it, the tune is probably setup differently to deal with more or less fuel being injected per injection stroke.. I do not think those engines have any way of knowing exactly how much fuel is injected per stroke.. Unless the injector sensor senses start and duration of injection..

Reply #3July 24, 2013, 01:45:56 am

Toby

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 01:45:56 am »
Toby, here I was under the the impression you knew everything? ;) Haha

Well not about TDIs. I have never messed with one. Mostly because I usually don't like the people who own them. They seem to be all about spending money. And of course the injection control is not amenable to much tweeking, from what I am able to gather. Without dropping lots of money, anyway.

So it looks like I will be ripping into the IP in the next couple of days. I still have to de-slime the AAZ pump in the Low Buck GTD as well, so it may be an all IP day on Saturday. One of the TDI pump gurus let it slip that my symptoms are consistent with a "big seal" leak on the bottom of the pump. So I'll order a seal kit tomorrow and see how it goes. I had the top off of the pump a month ago and what I could see was clean as a whistle, as it should be. I need to set up a sterile field somewhere to do the pump work. My usual spot is chock full of junk right now. I may have to do a days worth of rearranging stuff to get a clean enough place to do IPs.

I hadn't even looked at the LB-GTD until tonight. It has been sitting for months and it popped off before it rolled over twice. It has the best IDI motor I have ever seen in it. All I need is some exhaust from the turbo to under the car and I will be able to drive it, once the pump is de-slimed. I have never driven the car so I don't know whether its worth a crap or not. More will be revealed.

S-PAutomotive.com