Engine Specific Info and Questions > Non VW Group Diesel

adding a turbocharger to my tractor

<< < (2/9) > >>

CRSMP5:
pics... i like the idea.. wastegate.. you can add in say a air compressor regulator to make it manual control.. just rember egt when doing this all..

you tube has vids of tractors with turbos added.. crazy stuff..

VTPSD:
Ill get some pics when I get started. Probably wont be for a month or so. Just picked up the tractor and I am sorting out some other little details first. (fuel pump leak, non charging alternator, power steering weak etc).
I am not planning on anything crazy like those pulling tractors. Just a very small amount of boost for entertainment sake really. I don't want to make anywhere near 100 hp, i am not planning on touching the pump settings at first and seeing how it reacts. Will try one of those cheap ebay digital pyro gauges to make sure it doesn't get too hot.

There shouldn't be anything too challenging about the install except maybe the turbo drain line. There is a nice tube that could easily be tapped into (it is used as an oil fill). The problem is that it is on the opposite side of the engine from the exhaust manifold and area where the turbo will live. The drain line would have to run around the front of the engine and drop in. I am not really sure if that is ok or not. Turbo drain lines are usually close to vertical and short. This would be running at maybe 30 degrees and be 24-30 inches long with a continuous slope. I don't really know if this is ok. I could tap into the cast oil pan for a drain, but would rather not. Want to be able to return completely to stock if I don't like it.
I would like opinions on the drain line quandary.
Here is the old beast in question, its short and stocky but weighs over 9000 lbs and is 62hp! I love it, I just picked up a set of studded log skidder chains for it. Cant wait to get those on and do some work. This tractor is very strong, but has terrible tires on it.

CRSMP5:
no i refer to the volvo turbo (gas) modded one doing donuts and such...

but the pic shows where the stack needs to be :D and helps us see what your playing with..

8v-of-fury:
If it doesn't work out to be concealable, you could easily do a remote turbo setup with the turbo up above that "hood" with no issue or power loss. A little lag, but with set RPM like a tractor.. who cares.

VTPSD:
ahh yes the volvo "terror" tractor. That thing is scary!

I think there is enough room under the hood. Ill get some pics of the cavity that I think it will fit. Hoping to win an ebay auction for the saab t3 and start thinking up ways to fit it in there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version