Engine Specific Info and Questions > Non VW Group Diesel

adding a turbocharger to my tractor

(1/9) > >>

VTPSD:
I have an older (early 70s) ford 4400 industrial diesel tractor. I want to add a turbo mostly just for the fun of it. It doesnt see hard field use, just some log skidding and driveway work. The engine is a very heavy duty 3.3 liter 3 cylinder NA diesel rated at 62hp. The fuel pump settings are stock.
This is really a just for fun project, a little whistle and maybe a tad more power. The manifold is very easily set up to mount a turbo, and there is plenty of room under the hood for plumbing. I was thinking about using a t3 turbo from an 85 saab 900. They can be had cheap, flanges are easy to come by etc. It is oil cooled only, and internally wastegated. I think I could run this setup at 5psi on my stock engine and be fine. Just looking for an opinion on sizing. I *think* this turbo is close to the correct size for this engine. Its a 3.3 liter and turns at a max of 2200 rpm. As I said, the engines in these things are extremely heavy build in every way. Am I on the right track, or do you think I need to find something a bit bigger? The tractor does most of its work in the 1200-2000 rpm range.

VTPSD:
Googling tells me the saab turbo flow about 25lb/min max.

VTPSD:
my other option is an audi k24 that I have. Only issue with that is there is no internal wastegate. I might just be able to run it as is, or add a gate into my turbo feed pipe later.

RabbitJockey:

--- Quote from: VTPSD on July 12, 2013, 12:43:36 pm ---my other option is an audi k24 that I have. Only issue with that is there is no internal wastegate. I might just be able to run it as is, or add a gate into my turbo feed pipe later.

--- End quote ---

saab t3 should do the trick, u can see on this plotted compressor map here at 5 psi you'll be in the 70% efficiency range from 1300 rpms all the way to 2200.  the exhaust housing might be a little big but probably not.   also at 5 psi u could possibly make 100 hp at 2000rpm

VTPSD:
excellent, i am bidding on a nice t3 from an early 900 complete with internal wastegate. I think the wastegate on those is 5psi, so that could work nicely. I am going to have to get a bit creative with piping, but there should be ample room under the hood to make it fit. Trying to have the stack come out of the original hole is the only real trick. Otherwise the install would be really easy. It even has an oil feed port currently plugged on the right side of the block and everything!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version