Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Engine temp & oil pressure gauges.  (Read 10630 times)

Reply #15July 16, 2013, 04:34:05 pm

homerj1

• Veteran

Re: Engine temp & oil pressure gauges.
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 04:34:05 pm »
I ran it off the hose that goes from the radiator into the surplus tank/ filler tank.  Brass tee, two hose bibs and the sensor on the third threaded port.  Seems to get plenty hot, plenty quick.  I could have swapped out one on the flange for a location off the head but I didn't think it was necessary.  Hot is hot.  Water is always moving in the system, and not routing down through the radiator until the thermo opens. So I feel temp is recorded well enough and soon enough to avoid an overheat incident.  If I really want to know the exact temp I would move one of the WVO temp sensors against the head and measure it.  Those read up to 183 degrees but I would be able to see how fast it gets there.

The small line - like 1/4 inch id on top? Or the bigger one  on bot 3/8 id?

Reply #16July 16, 2013, 10:49:24 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 10:49:24 pm »
Top line it be the hot side in.  Lower one is cool for too long.  I suppose if you really cared to get close to the source you could tap right off the radiator a few inches rather than loose a couple tenths of a degree along the way.  I just had enough wire to make the location next to the surplus tank.  I used one wire to the sender and grounded the brass tee with a second to the same screw on the top post of the shock mounts.   I used an aluminum ring with a wire take off.  Compress fit on the sensor to brass tee.  No leaks, yet. 

Reply #17July 17, 2013, 06:28:49 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 06:28:49 pm »
I have mine in the upper radiator hose flange right in the head basically. I can watch my gauge jump all over based on what is happening. Even just starting to move and getting air through it, I can see it drop quickly.

Reply #18January 04, 2014, 09:12:42 pm

vwzzuk

• Junior

• http://www.acmeadapters.com
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2014, 09:12:42 pm »
I'm running aftermarket gauges in my rabbit pickup.

For water temperature, I use Acmeadapters gold rear head water outlet flange. Mounts just like stock and has a port for an aftermarket water temp gauge.

For oil pressure, I just use an 1/8th pipe thread & brass "T" in my oil pressure dummy sensor port on the oil filter housing. Threads are very close to being identical. Both gauges work great.

I do all my diesel converted Suzuki's this way so I know exactly what the motor is doing regarding temp and oil pressure.

91 Jetta, 1.6NA
87 Suzuki Samurai, 1.9 AAZ
92 Sidekick 4dr, 1.9TDI

S-PAutomotive.com