Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: MK3 TDI swap  (Read 8369 times)

July 07, 2013, 04:14:14 pm

lorenmws

MK3 TDI swap
« on: July 07, 2013, 04:14:14 pm »
Hello all, this is my first post on this forum. I just recently picked up a Passat TDI (b4) and I am going to be parting it and the TDI is going in my mk3 golf . I was just wondering which parts that I should save from the Passat to put on my golf. I've been trying to research as much as I can but there doesn't seem to be too many documented swaps. I know that it has been done so I figured I'd come here, I have a good idea of most of the parts ( motor, transmission, ECU, wiring harness, pedals).

If you could point me in the direction of any good swaps where a B4 Passat was used and placed into a mk3 it would be appreciated.

I currently have someone swapping me my b4 stuff for the mk3 intercooler setup, engine harness, pedals, and cluster. What other parts needs to be from a mk3?

Reply #1July 07, 2013, 11:32:49 pm

thegimpster

• Administrator
  • Junior

• VDubShirts.com Awesome VW themed shirts with attitude
Re: MK3 TDI swap
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 11:32:49 pm »
Honestly it would be cheaper and easierto sell both of em and just buy one. Not that its really a bad swap. You should be able to swap the wiring and motor amd trans fairly easily. You will need to find a mk3 tdi pedal cluster because the passat one wont fit. Not sure on the hydro clutch stuff.ow for a mk2 and mk4 but I assume you could look at mk3 vr6 swap for that info.

You might google the volkswagen online technical resource center which is a russian site for wiring diagrams.
Check out www.vdubshirts.com for cool VW themed shirts with attitude.

Reply #2July 09, 2013, 12:12:17 pm

rodpaslow

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 12:12:17 pm »
I can tell you that the 02A tranny (if a manual) will fit without issue into a MK3 as I have just done it.  You don't need the pedal cluster as the MK3 cable clutch pedal (in canada anyway) already has the cutout for the hydraulic master cylinder clip.  All you need to do is move all the hydraulic stuff to your MK3, as the holes in the firewall are already there-at least they were in my car.  The original car pulls the brake fluid from the brake reservoir.  I did not do that. I just found a small one at the wrecker that would fit next to the coolant reservoir and connected it to the master and bleed the system - you good to go-transmission wise anyway...
99' 1.9 1Z Tdi, hybrid pump -1.9 housing & rover internals, 2052 wastegate turbo,.25 hflox nozzles, SDI intake, CTN tranny
96' 1.6 TD Golf, Giles pump, VNT 17, Gas changed to Diesel, Air to Water Int.

Reply #3July 09, 2013, 02:35:51 pm

the4ork

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 02:35:51 pm »
your going to want to trade the passat harness for a mk3 harness and here is why...

the mk3 harness incorporates everything into one bundle. the engine harness and chassis harness forward of the firewall are all one.

In the passat, the engine harness is its own standalone unit. so passat harnesses are highly desireable for people doing swaps in other passats, and mk1's and 2's

It will be very easy to sell and or trade the passat harness for a mk3 one. if you use a mk3 one, you unplug your gas harness, and plug in the diesel harnes.. at the fuse box... then plug all the plugs to the engine, and done.

if you use the passat harness, you will have to cut/remove all the protective coverings, from your golf wire harness, and systematically remove all the old wires that went to the gas computer/engine. its a PAIN IN THE ASS, as im doing it right now (except im removing everything but the engine harness because i have a mk3 harness for a mk2 tdi swap)

So. if you wanna sell that harness, hit me up, i'll buy it off you, and i know a guy that has a few mk3 harnesses.

ok so we got the wiring out of the way.... your going to need the downpipe obviously, and once thats out of the passat, and out of the way, you need the shifter box... it drops out from below, i believe one nut from above once you get all the covers off. (assuming your golf is an 8v and has the mk2 style shift linkage) then your going to need the instrument cluster (i dont see why your stock instrument harness wouldnt fit the tdi one) and the hydraulic setup for the clutch (you dont even need a reservoir, just run the lines together or plug the line that runs to the res) it should be an easy swap from there...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 02:39:46 pm by the4ork »

Reply #4July 10, 2013, 01:56:31 pm

thegimpster

• Administrator
  • Junior

• VDubShirts.com Awesome VW themed shirts with attitude
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 01:56:31 pm »
depending on when you start this project and where I am at in my projects I may be able to trade you my mk3 tdi harness for your Passat one. I plan on putting my ahu into a mk2 jetta coupe and that harness would make it easy for me and my harness would make it easy for you to do your swap. I just have to have one other vehicle done so I can take the jetta out of commission.
Check out www.vdubshirts.com for cool VW themed shirts with attitude.

Reply #5July 12, 2013, 06:41:14 pm

lorenmws

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 06:41:14 pm »
I currently have someone swapping me my b4 stuff for his mk3 intercooler setup, engine harness, pedals, and cluster.

Reply #6August 03, 2013, 04:19:07 pm

lorenmws

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 04:19:07 pm »
I can tell you that the 02A tranny (if a manual) will fit without issue into a MK3 as I have just done it.  You don't need the pedal cluster as the MK3 cable clutch pedal (in canada anyway) already has the cutout for the hydraulic master cylinder clip.  All you need to do is move all the hydraulic stuff to your MK3, as the holes in the firewall are already there-at least they were in my car.  The original car pulls the brake fluid from the brake reservoir.  I did not do that. I just found a small one at the wrecker that would fit next to the coolant reservoir and connected it to the master and bleed the system - you good to go-transmission wise anyway...

So I'm reading that the clutch ms from the passat will not work with the mk3 pedals cause the ms rod is shorter on the passat, did you not run into that problem?

Also, since I'm in the process of making my mk3 golf into a TDI and I've been told I need a TDI cluster. I have a very early mk3 that was imported from Germany and it has a tachless cluster with a big clock, and I really like it. Is there any reason that I can't use it? I just figured the only reason for switching would be because of tachs and I don't have one.

S-PAutomotive.com