S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Can't open Caddy tailgate - what a joke!  (Read 9714 times)

Reply #15July 02, 2013, 04:04:31 pm

81 vw pu

Re: Can't open Caddy tailgate - what a joke!
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 04:04:31 pm »

If you look straight down between the bed end and tailgate you will see the latch. Insert long skinny flat tip screw driver (8" to 10")  with a short 90 degree angle on tip. You will see hole in the bracket where the spring loaded piece sticks through. Push the plunger back towards the center of tailgate while pulling outward on tailgate. Now repeat on other side if both rods are off.

Thanks, I'll practice that after I get the tailgate back on. Before I do that should I take the latches apart to lubricate? Anything to watch out for if I need to do that?

My bad, I thought the tailgate was still on and you couldn't get it open to pull it off. Only lube I've put on mine is that spray grease white lithium in a can. I have never had the latches or handle out, so I can't really comment on any unforeseen problems with that.

Reply #16July 02, 2013, 11:16:32 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 11:16:32 pm »
Got it back together. You should do this before working on  the tailgate.

Foam being stuffed

Unhooked rods held up by foam

Reply #17July 09, 2013, 09:42:02 am

1outof5

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 09:42:02 am »
One of the tailgate handle  rod fell off/ dropped into the abyss due to a broken/ missing nylon insert in the metal rod clip. While taking the handle off to make more room to fish the rod out I managed to drop the other rod!

There is no way to jimmy the two latches! It is well protected! Why??? There is no lock on the tailgate, why design it so you can't jimmy it? Because the rods are at the bottom of narrow (3/4" ) and deep tailgate walls, it is very difficult to get purchase and fish them up.  Finally got them after 1/2 hour trying. VW could have put a catch in the wall to prevent the rods from dropping  to the bottom but didn't. Must be a joke!.

Have a set of clips coming from Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gen-Vw-Rabbit-Pickup-Caddy-Tailgate-Handle-Rod-Clip-/270698961624?pt=Motors_
Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f06ea5ad8&vxp=mtr

I'll be stuffing some foam in the walls to keep the rods from dropping again.

Anyone else run into this? Not fun!

Looked at the picture on the bay link and can't really make out what part it is. Is it the plastic insert AND the metal clip thing that goes on the rod? if so I NEED one, I almost have to twist the handle off to get any rod movement. thanks for the find

Reply #18July 09, 2013, 10:42:23 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 10:42:23 am »

Looked at the picture on the bay link and can't really make out what part it is. Is it the plastic insert AND the metal clip thing that goes on the rod? if so I NEED one, I almost have to twist the handle off to get any rod movement. thanks for the find

I have not received it yet but quite certain it is what you described.

Reply #19October 19, 2020, 05:05:55 pm

mk1caddy1989

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2020, 05:05:55 pm »
Hi guys, I had the same problem - broken rod clips for the tail gate! And they're sold out EVERYWHERE I could see, world wide... No option to buy them for love nor money! I eventually managed to find some injection moulded plastic ones that substituted perfectly! I've stuck them on eBay just in case anyone else out there was struggling with the same problem!

ebay.co.uk/itm/313258354988

Fixmyvw.com