Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: '81 Dasher wagon m-AHU  (Read 9781 times)

Reply #30July 24, 2013, 08:42:07 pm

8v-of-fury

Re: '81 Dasher wagon m-AHU
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2013, 08:42:07 pm »
Just because I've never heard of anyone doing it, but couldnt you swap in an auto tranny from a more robust VW or audi?  gearing wouldnt be the same but is that the only reason not to?

Just because I've never heard of anyone doing it, but couldnt you swap in an auto tranny from a more robust VW or audi?  gearing wouldnt be the same but is that the only reason not to?

I'm not quite sure how to respond to this...

giggle a tad... LOL... you know dasher auto tunnle so different that fitting a clutch in is a issue? no room for the 3rd pedal... saw someone doing auto to 5 speed conversion years ago on dog... the pedal sets so different in the way the throttle is shaped/mounted..

knowing that.. auto in no way fit...

Uh.. It was answered.

Reply #31July 24, 2013, 09:47:18 pm

Smoker

• Veteran

Re: Re: Re: '81 Dasher wagon m-AHU
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2013, 09:47:18 pm »
Just because I've never heard of anyone doing it, but couldnt you swap in an auto tranny from a more robust VW or audi?  gearing wouldnt be the same but is that the only reason not to?

What?  Because the size is different?  Because the gearing is different?  Because it would be a waste of time?

I asked a simple question because I DONT KNOW.

Sorry, I just have zero interest in putting an auto trans in this car. I'll blame my Smartass response on the moonshine.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 10:03:13 pm by 8v-of-fury »

Reply #32July 24, 2013, 11:07:33 pm

CRSMP5

Re: '81 Dasher wagon m-AHU
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2013, 11:07:33 pm »

What?  Because the size is different?  Because the gearing is different?  Because it would be a waste of time?

I asked a simple question because I DONT KNOW.

no i gave the answere.. the width of the tunnle by the firewall is major different size for auto vs 4 speed dasher...  they literally rebent the pedals so the big single brake pedal is more in the clutch area to make up for the differance... auto bell houing area huge vs 4 speed... so the body was shapped different to fit...

dasher owners group, dog.. had a guy years ago with pics of how off the 2 pedal sets were...

Fixmyvw.com