Engine Specific Info and Questions > Diesel Swaps

'81 Dasher wagon m-AHU

(1/7) > >>

Smoker:
Well I guess I'll go ahead and get a thread started, even though this will most likely be a long, drawn out project... I need to start getting advice while I'm stockpiling parts.

For those that haven't seen it in the 'users rides' section, here's the background on the car

http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=33467.0

The car has sentimental value, and I've told my wife I'll never sell it, so I might as well modernize it and make it enjoyable to drive!

Things I know so far:
-I have an ahu in my garage that needs a rebuild
-I've told libby to go ahead and build me a pump

Things I DON'T know yet:
-pretty much everything else lol

The major things I need to figure out are...
-transmission. I've got some research to do here... Quantum 5-speed? B5.5 tdi 5-speed?? Obviously this would take significant fabrication, which I can do.
-turbo, Injectors, i/c... I'm a turbo-diesel noob, and I'd appreciate any and all advice in this area.

Non-engine specific stuff:
-suspension needs a serious overhaul. Most parts for B1's are nla, which will make this part fun.
-I'm debating adding a/c and p/s... I want this car to be a true do-it-all car that will be a joy to drive, and leave the local rednecks speechless while I leave them in my dust. It will have a hitch. It will be daily driven. It will value function over form.

Also, I feel like I need to clarify my username... I was shocked that 'smoker' wasn't taken on a diesel forum, but it's actually my last name, not a coal rolling reference ;-)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

CRSMP5:
ok mr green corn... last name... yea right,...

alt set up, rad.. ic.. will be most fun...

the 5 speed is mods.. floor needs humps beat or cut..

which to use.. my father always wanted to put a 88-92ish audi 80/90 in his.,. be he has a euro ersion with weird gear ratios..

libbydiesel:
What longitudinal transmissions were fitted to the VW or Audi TDIs?

Smoker:

--- Quote from: libbydiesel on June 26, 2013, 04:31:41 pm ---What longitudinal transmissions were fitted to the VW or Audi TDIs?

--- End quote ---

B5.5 is the only one I can think of, at least in the states.... But that's why I came here for advice!  iirc, the gasser Quantum had a taller 5th than the TD, which makes no sense to me, but it would certainly be easier to find... I just missed one in my local yard :banghead:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

libbydiesel:
I haven't heard of any particular issues with the Quantum trans but you'll have to be gentle with any trans that is pre-TDI or pre-1.8T.  If going through any work to fit a trans, seriously consider using one that was designed to work with that amount of torque.  Weren't some of the Audis fitted with longitudinal trans and TDI engines?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version