Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: bad night last night....turbo glowing red and sounds like loss of compression  (Read 3361 times)

June 16, 2013, 09:59:12 am

audilvr

I was pushing it way too hard on the highway last night. started smelling oil and when I popped the hood the manifold and turbo were glowing red. I had a temp reader with me... the head was over 150 degrees and the turbo was beyond reading. when I rolled it over later it sounds like I lost compression in a couple of cyl. i'm guessing warped head and/or melted valves. should I even consider trying to fix it? can the turbo survive that kind of heat? I have another head I can throw at it but I don't have another turbo.

Reply #1June 16, 2013, 10:00:20 am

audilvr

it's a high mile 1.6 td

Reply #2June 16, 2013, 10:41:44 am

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    AAZ 1.9, HE 200 Turbo, 82 Vanagon, AAP 5 speed
What turbo do you have?
There's plenty of folks here that know more than I do, but my guess is that the rings may have become part of the pistons :(
I highly recommend an EGT sensor and gauge so you can keep on eye on exhaust temps. It must not be stock, i,e, you must have installed a boost controller or something that allowed higher than stock boost or you are over fuelling. Doing anything like that without an EGT sensor is a ticking time bomb (ask me how I know).

Did you loose water? I think some turbos can survive a red hot situation but your oil should be changed ASAP. Pull the intake off the turbo and see if you can move the shaft. A K14 has a slight wobble even with new bearings, but the impeller obviously should never touch the housing.
Jim W - 82 Vanagon Westy - AAZ 1.9, Mild head port, Cummins Holset HE200WE turbo, Frozen Boost WAIC, 10" Charge-pipe intake, Ball bearing IM shaft, Giles Pump, 215/70R16, AAP 5 speed Trans. 22 lbs max boost

Reply #3June 16, 2013, 11:30:35 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

I'd want to pull it apart just for fun, but odds are you'll need new pistons, overbore, etc, etc...

Reply #4June 16, 2013, 11:58:40 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Temp gun but no pics? Love to see some glowing red turbo, just not on my engine.

Reply #5June 16, 2013, 02:06:57 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
The ULTIMATE "Hot" engine eh?   Not the way I would choose to preheat my fuel.  Good thing it's a diesel.

Reply #6June 16, 2013, 03:54:26 pm

8v-of-fury

How hard were you pushing it persay?

Reply #7June 16, 2013, 04:26:13 pm

audilvr

it was overfueling for sure. I was running at 4krpm for an extended period. prepping another engine for install. i'll pull the bad one apart later to see if anything is salvageable. I think the pump had the smoke valve played with and it's a gtd pump, so there should be more fuel to begin with. (I just installed it and ran it as is.)

Reply #8June 23, 2013, 04:41:33 pm

audilvr

I think the turbo is a t3. there is some oil near the intake( small amount ) and there is a bit of movement in the shaft. usable or not worth the chance?

Reply #9June 23, 2013, 04:43:01 pm

8v-of-fury

Always oil near the intake.. and shaft play is normal. So.. yeah I'd run it if she turns freely and isn't PUKING oil.

Reply #10June 23, 2013, 04:45:29 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
If the movement is up and down then it is OK unless it is hitting the compressor housing.

If it is in/out or lateral play I would say not usable. I would send it off to have it rebuilt. xsboostturbochargers.com is a great place. He will go through it for 75.00 and tell you what is wrong or for 325. completely rebuild it.

Reply #11June 23, 2013, 04:46:47 pm

audilvr

good to hear. thanks.