General Information > Troubleshooting

Ecodiesel engine knock

<< < (2/13) > >>

wolf_walker:
The hydraulic lifters can and do crap out, and they are pretty cheap.

Did you notice if the noise was there both on and off throttle, as in coasting in gear?

I'm inclined to think it's a non-critical failure if it went 2K miles of interstate driving
and didn't blow or get worse.

bbob203:
like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC87gNemmUE

VTPSD:

--- Quote from: wolf_walker on June 12, 2013, 12:09:55 pm ---The hydraulic lifters can and do crap out, and they are pretty cheap.

Did you notice if the noise was there both on and off throttle, as in coasting in gear?

I'm inclined to think it's a non-critical failure if it went 2K miles of interstate driving
and didn't blow or get worse.

--- End quote ---
As far as i can tell the noise is there no matter what the RPM or throttle input. Does it in neutral the same as in gear and under load. Its not loud enough to hear when going fast, so its hard to do the fuel shutoff test, but I am quite sure it is mechanical and not fuel.
I would think a rod bearing would have gotten worse or spun after all that. Is it possible that a precup can drop just a little bit and be kissing the piston? I am inclined to think it would have changed in tone or sound level after all those miles at high rpm.

wolf_walker:

[/quote]
 I am inclined to think it would have changed in tone or sound level after all those miles at high rpm.
[/quote]

Agree.  Might cut open an oil filter and see if there's sadness inside. 
I'd put lifters in it.

VTPSD:
Well I spent some time tonight in the shop trying to find my noise. I couldnt really pinpoint the location, so i started by pulling the valve cover with the engine warm to check lifters. Several of them had a very small amount of play, but nothing outrageous. I am not ruling them out, but nothing looked or felt out of wack to me.  ???
Then I pulled the oil pan and wiggled all the rods, everything seemed copacetic, again nothing crazy. There was no evidence of glitter in the oil, but there was some debris in the pan. At first I thought it was metal but upon closer inspection I think it may be stuff that fell in when wiggling the pan off. I checked crank end play, there was some, but seemed to be within the .0147" that the bently says is allowable. The only thing that seemed a bit funny is the main bearing thrust tabs on the middle journal could be wiggled a bit with the tip of a screwdriver. When I slid the crank all the way to one side, you could wiggle the opposite side tab. I actually think this is ok and normal, but i thought it was worth mentioning.

Getting desperate I pulled each rod cap and inspected the bearings since I already ordered the parts in a fit of rage the other night. The pictures below show the bearings. The bearings that are more copper colored came out of the rod side and the non discolored ones came from the cap side.

any thoughts?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version