General Information > Troubleshooting

Ecodiesel engine knock

(1/13) > >>

VTPSD:
Hi All,
I just got back from an epic 3000 mile trip with my 91 ecodiesel. It ran great the whole way, but about 1000 miles into the trip it developed a tapping or knocking that is new. The engine has about 240k on it and i dont think has ever been apart. It runs sweet, and has been very quiet for an idi diesel. This new knock is not horribly loud, can barely hear it with the windows up. Almost sounds like a sticky lifter but it does not seem to be coming from the head.
My instinct says it is coming from the bottom end. It starts after the car has been running about 30 seconds and stays there at all engine speeds. I was forced to drive it another 2000 miles to get back home with it in this state and it never got worse or beter. Still there. Running normally and has all of its power. I almost think it is rod knock, and i might just order some new rod bearing and pull the pan and replace them. I am looking for some other suggestions of things I should check.
I am not sure of when it started for sure, but somewhere out in the flats in indiana i decided (for unknown reasons) to see how fast the old girl could do on the flats. I held it wide open in 5th for maybe 30 seconds or less until it topped out and then coasted back down to 70. I drove basically 70 the entire trip. I am not sure this is when the trouble started but when i stopped for fuel in about 100 miles i noticed the ticking or knocking.
Can i re-use the rod bolts in this engine, or do i need to figure out a way to remove the rod bolts from the rods and replace with the oil pan dropped.
Thanks in advance. I feel bad that I hurt the old girl, and want to get it back into shape again.

VTPSD:
i found this video on youtube, mine has a similar sound. Not sure if it helps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63p-kuHxBEE

VTPSD:
this one is also a similar noise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFBKHE9rUpc

TylerDurden:
The first vid has a "clinking" timbre that makes me think piston contact with a pre-cup or valve. I have a similar sound in my 89NA that makes me nervous.

The second vid sounds like a lifter .

VTPSD:
hmmm, i would say mine sounds more like the second than the first. Do lifters ever go bad suddenly and clatter at all RPMs? What is the way to test them. I was thinking maybe get the engine warm, pull the valve cover and try pushing down and see if i have any play in the lifters?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version