Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Growl when lifting off the accelerator pedal - whatzit?  (Read 3552 times)

June 08, 2013, 05:46:09 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
Growl when lifting off the accelerator pedal - whatzit?
« on: June 08, 2013, 05:46:09 pm »
Sounds a bit like a wheel bearing, but it only happens when there is no load on the drivetrain - it goes away under acceleration or with engine drag.

Does not change when loading one side or the other, so it ain't likely a wheel bearing.

Much louder when going >75mph and gently letting up on the pedal, barely noticeable <50mph.

I have more info, but would like initial reactions & thoughts.

Reply #1June 08, 2013, 11:24:09 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: Growl when lifting off the accelerator pedal - whatzit?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 11:24:09 pm »
Axles tight to the flanges?  Loose timing belt cover?  Loose IP pump from stripped out bolt?  Sounds like a bracket or holder loose.  Engine mount on one side loose?  Fan Shroud?

That's all the brain can produce right now.

Reply #2June 08, 2013, 11:29:44 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 11:29:44 pm »
what trans?? on/off power like that is like a pinion/diff bearing.. the diff load changes and the mesh in the ring/pinion makes the hum..

Reply #3June 08, 2013, 11:43:47 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 11:43:47 pm »
AGS, (5 speed).

There seems to be a fair amount of R&P lash - I get under and turn both axles forward/backward ~10 degrees between engagement.

Reply #4June 09, 2013, 12:34:39 am

CRSMP5

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 12:34:39 am »
well time to open it up..

main shaft, would have same growel in same rpm.. even netural as the clutch is connected..

pinion shaft is the one speedo runs off of.. they like a wheel bearing as noise comes in and may get more quiet with speed.. but no noise change when left/right like wheel bearing...

diff bearings are the ones your hearing... if you have that much slop.. id worry the diff rivit abt to poke a hole... but holding both wheels you have to figure in the diff spyder gears..

what your looking for is up/down/side-side flange wobble... basically the diff is twisting in the trans case... then you hear the whirl of on/off power in the ring/pinion teeth

Reply #5June 12, 2013, 09:38:55 am

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 09:38:55 am »
Yeah, I was afraid that might be the case.

I pulled the inner CVs to inspect and one was pretty galled, with flakes of the inner race floating in the grease. Maybe unrelated. Replaced it, noise was still there (not as loud).

Reply #6June 12, 2013, 12:25:35 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 12:25:35 pm »
Yeah, I was afraid that might be the case.

Quite the pun!  :D
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent
Need a car transported a long distance? Pm me for details.

Reply #7June 12, 2013, 12:26:42 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 12:26:42 pm »
This sounds like same problem im having with my asf trans in my eco.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent
Need a car transported a long distance? Pm me for details.

Reply #8June 12, 2013, 01:50:48 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 01:50:48 pm »
nope bbob.. if you look at my other post w/descriptions.. your pinion shaft brng.. aka speedo gear one...

if yours is doing his noise now bbob.. stop driving it as your bout to have 100% non able to be fixed.. when you bbob get the on off whine noise.. and it started as a 20s ford noise.. the whole shaft is moving so muuch the gear sets, especially 5th bout to be done bbob...

Reply #9July 12, 2013, 09:59:27 am

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 09:59:27 am »
make sure trans fluid is topped off or change. all cv joints are greased, boots are good, and all bolts on inner are some over-tight(I think the book calls for 25lbft., i put them at 33-35lbsft.), outer axle nut is over 200ftlbs.
you should also lift or put front end on stands and i check all suspension bolts/nuts. stay at book torque for bigger bolts, and add some tightness to smaller nuts/bolts. snug calipers.
the axles are the main concern, and trans fluid level. suspension is secondary, but can be a problem, but not as likely.
if all else or you just want to do anyway; you can tighten all points on trans (not too tight its aluminum), and trans engine bell housing. you also will want to torque engine mounts, including small nuts/or bolts that hold in trans mount. maybe its time to replace mounts?.
it could be your clutch assembly, also.
swapping out both axles or all 4 cv joints sounds like a good bet too. the complete axles aren't too expensive, i found them a good investment and about the same price as all 4 cv joints.
your lash is not a good sign, and an easy cause of such noise, its probable you have/are wearing the gears, possibly the rear (unhardened side) of the gears. it doesn't matter which side, cause after a while the gap/lash can become too great and trans will wear on its self. one thing you can do is to get something magnetic, like a drain plug, something bigger will be better and use it to catch metal particles. clean every so often. the trans can last for sometime like this, i'd say change fluid, and use a magnetic piece that you can access to clean off(installed in bottom of trans).
you lose some fuel mileage, trans gears will drag some.

Reply #10July 13, 2013, 12:44:34 pm

the caveman

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 12:44:34 pm »
Over a few years, even if you try not to, chunks of the reverse gear break off and get lodged between the differential housing and ring gear. Possible that your diff is on it's way.
" I'm a vegetarian,not because i love animals, it's because i hate plants"
1970 Type 3 fastback
1972 Renault 12
1971 Super Beetle 140 HP 159 ft lbs
1987 Fox
1989 TD Jetta
1990 Fox
1989 Fox
1998 TDI Jetta
1990 T3 German MIL Transporter 1.9 na Giles super pump
1997 Jetta GLX TDI

Fixmyvw.com