Author Topic: Michigan state police don't like black smoke  (Read 18341 times)

Reply #15October 31, 2013, 11:44:37 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

Re: Michigan state police don't like black smoke
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2013, 11:44:37 pm »
I have only been pulled over once in the last decade and that was because the DMV messed up and gave me a plate that was one digit different from my registration.  I just turn on my cloaking device (drive intelligently within the boundary of the law) and police ignore me entirely.

Reply #16November 01, 2013, 08:15:48 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 08:15:48 am »
i haven't been pulled over much since i hit the age of 20, i did drive nicer looking cars after that.  not that i havent gotten a few tickets, one was a speeding ticket when i was passing someone in a 55 mph area, and another was 40 in a 25... but its a long straight road, the limit really should be 40 anyway... haha
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #17November 26, 2013, 01:13:20 pm

air-cooled or diesel

Re: Re: Michigan state police don't like black smoke
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 01:13:20 pm »
Yeah, I got one too..
I pulled out of this intersection quite "spirited" not seeing the the officer sitting in the parking lot maybe 200 ft down the road. Well I pored some serious smoke at that time, I never exceeded the speed limit just got there quick with a cloud of death behind me. When I actually noticed him it was too late and I ended up just laughing really hard as I strolled by making eye contact. Needless to say he came out..with his lights on. When I pulled over he came up and did the whole "licence and registration", while I was getting them out he continued with why doesn't this car have an emission sticker, well officer it's a diesel... So? Son you still need one.. no officer, I'm sorry I don't. I live in Berks county and I'm emissions exempt.... Kinda just stared at me and said he would be right back... 20 mins later came back eyeing up the car, looking for something get me for. Well he noticed that my passenger windshield wiper was missing because it broke, well I pulled you over because I seen that your missing a wiper blade... Well officer it broke and I still have the drivers side and does the job, I meant to fix it just haven't got the time to purchase one and install it. Well I'm gonna have to give you a situation for that and that your exhaust doesn't completely exit from under the car. (It was a side exit and was maybe 2inch still under the car. Whatever)
So I ended up getting a 70 dollar fine. He said something about how he didn't think my car was running good because I had left a big cloud of smoke. No officer it runs good it's a diesel. And it was left at that.
you know punch,, your too cocky with the police, pretty much just asking for a ticket, while a broken wiper blade isn't really much of a violation, it can be fixed the same day, so that's an easy out of any ticket, pouring all that smoke on the officers road, while not illegal, the officer doesn't know that, most are unaware of what a diesel even is. I d just say be a little humble, and also say its emissions exempt and passes emissions too. id get out of the fine by fixing wiper.

Reply #18November 27, 2013, 03:15:45 pm

Blocksmith

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Wrench Lurker
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 03:15:45 pm »
you know punch,, your too cocky with the police, pretty much just asking for a ticket, while a broken wiper blade isn't really much of a violation, it can be fixed the same day, so that's an easy out of any ticket, pouring all that smoke on the officers road, while not illegal, the officer doesn't know that, most are unaware of what a diesel even is. I d just say be a little humble, and also say its emissions exempt and passes emissions too. id get out of the fine by fixing wiper.

I think you misunderstood his post--he was ticketed because the cop was specifically looking for something to nail him for. One wiper wasn't working (not there), and nothing more; there was nothing else the cop could get him for. He poured smoke before he realized there was a cop watching, so there's not much he could do in regards to that once the cop pulled him over--and when questioned, he was just stating that his car is a diesel, and emissions exempt, given the year. While such an exchange could indeed be conducted in a cocky manner, I'm not sure that he indicated that his attitude was out of line. It seems to me that the cop was simply, at that point, in a bit of a pissing contest due to being called out on his assessment of the vehicle needing an emissions sticker, and being wrong, at that point simply looking for anything to save face with. 
Green 83 Rabbit 4dr, 5 speed ACH trans swap, ported 1.6D mech lifter w/ vnt15, na pump w/ gov mod, gasser intake mani, 2.5" exhaust, bilstein sports and cut mk2 springs, ss brake lines, 14" vw bottlecaps

Reply #19November 27, 2013, 03:21:07 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 03:21:07 pm »
Yep, once over to the side of the road the pen must roll.

Reply #20November 29, 2013, 12:19:13 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2013, 12:19:13 pm »
Well I pored some serious smoke at that time, I never exceeded the speed limit just got there quick with a cloud of death behind me. When I actually noticed him it was too late and I ended up just laughing really hard as I strolled by making eye contact. Needless to say he came out..with his lights on.

I see what air-cooled is saying.  Punch even states fairly openly that getting pulled over and getting a ticket was entirely expected given his behavior.

Personally I find life to be easier, more enjoyable, less embarrassing and less expensive by tuning my max fuel fairly conservatively or running more boost to minimize smoke and by taking a respectful attitude toward those individuals who have the power to be irritating.

Reply #21December 29, 2013, 10:23:16 pm

monomer

• Veteran

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2013, 10:23:16 pm »
So my wife took the Rabbit truck to town for groceries, When she pulled out on old us 131 she was getting after the truck to get it going. That equals black smoke. Well there was a Michigan state troper coming up from behind her and didn't like the black smoke coming from the truck, he said he couldn't see the tailgate. He came up and said all that smokes not normal and she should have it looked at. lol. It's not all that bad they just aren't use to seeing an old diesel rabbit runing around here. He did give her a fix it ticket for the small crack in the windshield.

Dean,

You in the Southeast at all? Your caddy looks all to familiar.
-1983 Rabbit LX 1.6/1.9 VNT build

Michigan Volkswagen Enthusiasts
www.michiganvw.org

Reply #22June 09, 2014, 10:14:20 pm

Toby

• Veteran

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2014, 10:14:20 pm »
When I actually noticed him it was too late and I ended up just laughing really hard as I strolled by making eye contact. Needless to say he came out..with his lights on.

I see what air-cooled is saying.  Punch even states fairly openly that getting pulled over and getting a ticket was entirely expected given his behavior.

Personally I find life to be easier, more enjoyable, less embarrassing and less expensive by tuning my max fuel fairly conservatively or running more boost to minimize smoke and by taking a respectful attitude toward those individuals who have the power to be irritating.

His first mistake was laughing at the cop. His second was making eye contact. NEVER do either. Back out of it and drive normally. Do not pull over until it is clear that he wants you specifically to pull over. Taking a "gosh golly officer, I did not know that I was doing anything wrong" attitude seems to work best. Whether he is Einstein or a half wit, he takes his job seriously. If you let him know that you don't, you are in for a pencil whipping. When pulled over always remember Toby's 4 Rules: 1) Admit NOTHING, 2) Deny EVERYTHING, 3) Demand proof, and then, 4) don't believe it.

I would have said something like "Sorry officer, this is a diesel and I think I got a load of bad fuel or something. My car has been smoking way more than normal since I fueled up in (some place outside his jurisdiction). I am just trying to use up this crappy fuel so I can get a load of the good stuff and make it stop. I sure hope that stuff does not screw up my car."

I have beaten over 100 traffic tickets, so I have a pretty good idea what works and what does not.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 10:26:59 pm by Toby »

Reply #23June 09, 2014, 10:26:27 pm

One_punchmachinegun

• Veteran

Re:
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2014, 10:26:27 pm »
Yup. Its alright, I'm sure I could have done it differently and got out of it. Not that I feel like I was giving little to much attitude, last thing I wanted was a ticket. I feel like the two key points that got me the ticket were
1: the large quantity of black smoke( can be very offensive to some)
2: the smile/laughter, not sure if he completely seen it but if he did that didn't help.
But regardless it's in the past and paid for. Good times

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
“If anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world." Jesus Christ

Reply #24October 03, 2016, 12:58:25 am

anhtran

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2016, 12:58:25 am »
He did give her a fix it ticket for the small crack

S-PAutomotive.com