S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Michigan state police don't like black smoke  (Read 18345 times)

June 02, 2013, 08:52:35 pm

Dean Erickson

• Junior

Michigan state police don't like black smoke
« on: June 02, 2013, 08:52:35 pm »
So my wife took the Rabbit truck to town for groceries, When she pulled out on old us 131 she was getting after the truck to get it going. That equals black smoke. Well there was a Michigan state troper coming up from behind her and didn't like the black smoke coming from the truck, he said he couldn't see the tailgate. He came up and said all that smokes not normal and she should have it looked at. lol. It's not all that bad they just aren't use to seeing an old diesel rabbit runing around here. He did give her a fix it ticket for the small crack in the windshield.

Reply #1June 02, 2013, 10:29:10 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: Michigan state police don't like black smoke
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 10:29:10 pm »
And I don't expect that trying to explain it is a diesel officer would have helped in the least.  WHY NOT.  They are MSP and that is all you need to know.

Reply #2June 02, 2013, 10:41:30 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 10:41:30 pm »
Had a policeman pull me over because my "turbo" diesel sounded too "tinny" (boost opening the wastegate) and the exhaust must be broken in some way or form..

I was like sir, it is turbocharged and diesel.. its going to be loud no matter what.

He replied with, I know diesel engines (yeah right) and this does not sound like your average diesel engine..

Reply #3June 02, 2013, 10:57:25 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 10:57:25 pm »
 ;D

Reply #4June 03, 2013, 02:52:36 am

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 02:52:36 am »
I guess it's the same here, CHP saw me in the Volvo TD hot dogging int at a light, stopped me and told me I was smoking, and should  stop by an emission station.
I'm not too proud  to keep my mouth shut...

Reply #5June 04, 2013, 12:13:29 am

Smoker

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 12:13:29 am »
Bastards. Sorry.

Reply #6June 04, 2013, 06:09:06 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 06:09:06 pm »
I unintentionally smoked out a commercial vehicle inspection officer the day after I got Jezzie.  She was running REALLY smoky at the time.  The officer (a real legit RCMP officer) gave me an inspection ticket which resulted in about $500 worth of repairs - nothing engine related, but tie rods, backup lights, a few other things.  All stuff that needed to be done but still a bunch of cash I would rather not have spent at the time.
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #7October 14, 2013, 09:14:52 pm

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 09:14:52 pm »
He did give her a fix it ticket for the small crack in the windshield.

leave it to the cops to waste your time; and taxpayers (time&$) too.

Reply #8October 14, 2013, 09:18:47 pm

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 09:18:47 pm »
I get pulled over all the time as I don't have an inspection sticker, and am usually loaded too. I had to wait for the judge in court one time , he was like bye. I have to carry an exempt paper now just so I don't have to do much explaining, or get a ticket. man I hate waiting for judge to call me up After getting cleared, it was never this way before.

Reply #9October 27, 2013, 11:17:30 pm

One_punchmachinegun

• Veteran

Re: Re: Michigan state police don't like black smoke
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 11:17:30 pm »
Yeah, I got one too..
I pulled out of this intersection quite "spirited" not seeing the the officer sitting in the parking lot maybe 200 ft down the road. Well I pored some serious smoke at that time, I never exceeded the speed limit just got there quick with a cloud of death behind me. When I actually noticed him it was too late and I ended up just laughing really hard as I strolled by making eye contact. Needless to say he came out..with his lights on. When I pulled over he came up and did the whole "licence and registration", while I was getting them out he continued with why doesn't this car have an emission sticker, well officer it's a diesel... So? Son you still need one.. no officer, I'm sorry I don't. I live in Berks county and I'm emissions exempt.... Kinda just stared at me and said he would be right back... 20 mins later came back eyeing up the car, looking for something get me for. Well he noticed that my passenger windshield wiper was missing because it broke, well I pulled you over because I seen that your missing a wiper blade... Well officer it broke and I still have the drivers side and does the job, I meant to fix it just haven't got the time to purchase one and install it. Well I'm gonna have to give you a situation for that and that your exhaust doesn't completely exit from under the car. (It was a side exit and was maybe 2inch still under the car. Whatever)
So I ended up getting a 70 dollar fine. He said something about how he didn't think my car was running good because I had left a big cloud of smoke. No officer it runs good it's a diesel. And it was left at that.
“If anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world." Jesus Christ

Reply #10October 28, 2013, 11:22:51 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 11:22:51 pm »
Officer once asked me why my "turbo diesel" sounded so tinny. I am like sir, that is the turbo you heard when I accelerated past you. Tried to get me for the same not exited tail pipe.. I told him it exits under the car.. and he's like well im not getting down on my hands and knees to check, so im like your not giving me a ticket for that then right?

The majority of law officers are complete douchebags on power trips, and honestly? It scares the hell out of me.. what happens one day they go to far?

Reply #11October 29, 2013, 12:45:32 am

One_punchmachinegun

• Veteran

Re: Re: Michigan state police don't like black smoke
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 12:45:32 am »
And that seems to be getting more common....i worry the same thing. Ive seem many accounts where a officer steps out of line and does something that goes against why he serves and gets away with it... corruptions of the human moral code will only get worse... This is just the beginning.
“If anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world." Jesus Christ

Reply #12October 29, 2013, 09:23:45 am

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 09:23:45 am »
Here is the trick. When you pull over for a cop you're admitting you're guilty of something right then and there unless you ask if he is holding you or if you are free to go. You have much more room to fight a ticket if you never admit you did anything wrong and you are being held against your will under duress. What are we conditioned to do when we see "emergency lights" Pull over... Well sometimes we pull over and they don't keep going.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent
Need a car transported a long distance? Pm me for details.

Reply #13October 29, 2013, 09:58:20 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 09:58:20 am »
Yeah well... what are you gonna do when he pit maneuvers you off the road?! Haha.

I dunno. Usually I have done nothing wrong.. but who an I to judge what is wrong or right in law?

Reply #14October 29, 2013, 10:34:19 am

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 10:34:19 am »
Who am I to judge what is wrong or right in law?

That's precisely it though. You aren't a lawyer nor is a cop. A traffic ticket is a summons and complaint basically that you infringed on someone else rights. They tell you though if you just pay them then they will go away and give you points. The cop isn't a lawyer so he cannot define wether or not you broke any laws.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent
Need a car transported a long distance? Pm me for details.