S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Grandpa's Dasher  (Read 5370 times)

Reply #15June 06, 2013, 01:51:34 pm

CRSMP5

Re: Grandpa's Dasher
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2013, 01:51:34 pm »
http://www.crsmp5.com/other_kubs/rearbushings.htm

is my copy of guy's reserch.. pics/numbers... just incase poly too much/stiff..

why i menton.. guy turning rub is due to them.. 6" snowflakes rub when they get soft..

Reply #16June 07, 2013, 02:19:22 am

Smoker

• Veteran

Re: Grandpa's Dasher
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2013, 02:19:22 am »
It took me a solid five years to pry it out of his hands, and I'm family! Plans are tdi swap, and I'm still doing trans research but there's a gasser 5-sp quantum at my local pick n save... if I understand it right, the gassers had a taller fifth than the diesel trannies in those cars?? Since the pics it's been lowered just a touch, but the rear shocks are shot and NLA, so I guess the next plan is to fab some coilovers. I drive my cars and have no interest in being super-low, but it would be nice to have some adjustability.

Your wagon looks like a beauty. Might want to check out the Dasher Owners Group website at  http://dog.mp3equipped.com/dog/

1) Yes, the Passat 4-cyl gasser trans would be a nice match for most any 1.9td/TDi, but it's a bit high for a 1.6na , and pure hell for a 1.5na. (BTDT2)  Be sure to get ALL linkage , mounts, shifter, gaskets, seal, etc. The tunnel will take some massaging, but it's not a major deal to get the 5-speed in & running. My gasser 5-speeds's 4th is actually higher than the 4th on my Dasher's oem 4-speed. 5th gear has the engine turning only 3000rpm @ 83mph.

2) Rear shocks on the wagon are tough to find, but a suspension warehouse would probably have something very workable if you took an oem sample with you. Coilovers for the rear seem a bit extreme/expensive/unnecessary, but... it's your beautiful car. I have air bladders in the rear coils of my '80 Dasher wagon; very small amount of air needed to offset any loads or give more clearance to the rear tires (195/60-14s on 6" GTI rims). Haven't satisfactorily worked out the fronts yet; currently KYBs with Passat td wagon front springs & new hardware. Slight bit of rub on some dippy corners when taken at speed.

Enjoy your ride, and love your Grandpa!

J.R.
SoCal

Best post ever. Thanks for the compliment, I'll show this to my grandpa, and 83 @ 3k sounds like heaven!!