Author Topic: Think this will buff out?  (Read 11501 times)

Reply #30May 21, 2013, 10:47:29 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: Think this will buff out?
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2013, 10:47:29 pm »
IIRC I read somewhere injectors were 60,000 mile service interval.

Reply #31May 21, 2013, 10:58:37 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

Re: Re: Re: Re: Think this will buff out?
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2013, 10:58:37 pm »
Service em when the t belt is changed and other than bad luck all is usually well.  I don't remember if VW gave a service interval on injectors.  I bet Mercedes did.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I'm sure they did I think it's 100k miles tho. But I agree they should at least be tested during a timing belt change.

Andrew. Glow plugs are definitely a good indicator haha.  When my old rabbit used to run away it would eat the whole tip off of each glow plug

Course a Merc isn't a converted gasser..
;D

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #32May 22, 2013, 07:34:28 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2013, 07:34:28 am »
IIRC I read somewhere injectors were 60,000 mile service interval.

no you're wrong im right.

just kidding, there is definitely a number in the bentley or something
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #33May 22, 2013, 03:48:45 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2013, 03:48:45 pm »
If the stated miles for service are on this forum you can be assured it is the Gospel truth.  No lie. 

Reply #34May 22, 2013, 05:38:31 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2013, 05:38:31 pm »
10-4 on the last post.
Lets face it, the "newest " idi engine is what from the early 90s for most of us?
Thats some time. Time for it to sit, be under maintained, be hacked on by some fool.
So theres alot of tired engines out there that like to runaway, or leak oil funny, or some other quirk.
Ya gotta be a little careful resurrecting somethin thats been sitting a while. Expect leaks and breakage. Listen for any wierd noise and attend to it now. Not at the next convienent time.
And ya gotta ask yourself why or the reason it was sitting. It was proba ly more than one thing goin on...
Thats a sucky thing that happened but i think you will dig a mech. Tdi
Even a mild one pulls strong.
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #35May 22, 2013, 06:20:24 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2013, 06:20:24 pm »
10-4 on the last post.
Lets face it, the "newest " idi engine is what from the early 90s for most of us?

Mine has about 140K on it and is from 03 or so near as I can remember. :)
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #36May 22, 2013, 07:55:08 pm

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    AAZ 1.9, HE 200 Turbo, 82 Vanagon, AAP 5 speed
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2013, 07:55:08 pm »
I went through my Bentley (Stock number VG99) and found no service/replacement intervals (so your both wrong ;D).
What it does say is. . .
"The signs of injector trouble usually appears as misfiring and knocking noises from one or more of the injectors or cylinders, engine overheating, loss of power, smokey black exhaust, increased fuel consumption, engine misfire, or excessive blue smoke during start up."

Most of these issues I had before my melt-down and I didn't take the warning signs seriously. I will carry spare (tested) injectors in the future and never just wait till "it's convenient" to address the issue.
Jim W - 82 Vanagon Westy - AAZ 1.9, Mild head port, Cummins Holset HE200WE turbo, Frozen Boost WAIC, 10" Charge-pipe intake, Ball bearing IM shaft, Giles Pump, 215/70R16, AAP 5 speed Trans. 22 lbs max boost

Reply #37May 22, 2013, 07:58:34 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2013, 07:58:34 pm »
I went through my Bentley (Stock number VG99) and found no service/replacement intervals (so your both wrong ;D).
What it does say is. . .
"The signs of injector trouble usually appears as misfiring and knocking noises from one or more of the injectors or cylinders, engine overheating, loss of power, smokey black exhaust, increased fuel consumption, engine misfire, or excessive blue smoke during start up."

Most of these issues I had before my melt-down and I didn't take the warning signs seriously. I will carry spare (tested) injectors in the future and never just wait till "it's convenient" to address the issue.

Funny/sad part is all those symptoms are what most folks that even remember pre-TDI VW diesels, in the US anyway, think are normal modes of operation.
Just goes to show.. 
Mentat Text Two

Reply #38May 22, 2013, 08:32:43 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2013, 08:32:43 pm »
Yea man a crappy spray pattern will cause a screwed piston eventually. They erode over time. Its like changing shocks in your car, you don't realize how bad they were till you have the new ones in.
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #39May 22, 2013, 10:50:24 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2013, 10:50:24 pm »
I was lucky with my bad injector I ran my old 1.6td hard 25-30psi and lots of smoke no intercollegiate and not egt gauge.  The head cracked from swirl chamber to a valve.  I was lucky that nothing fell in and ruined the bore/piston. But it was obvious the injector was the problem I'll post pics tomorrow
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #40May 23, 2013, 12:24:02 am

monomer

• Veteran

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2013, 12:24:02 am »
It looks worse in person.

Save the injector. I wanna pop test it and see the spray pattern.

Whats the best source for nozzles these days? I'm just gonna go ahead and replace all mine, and pop/spray test'm.
-1983 Rabbit LX 1.6/1.9 VNT build

Michigan Volkswagen Enthusiasts
www.michiganvw.org

Reply #41May 23, 2013, 12:59:57 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2013, 12:59:57 am »
While I'm sure injectors can be a contributing factor, I had a precup fail with perfect spraying freshly rebuilt injectors and very moderate boost and fuel levels.  IDIs are fine engines, but the AHU and ALH are progressively better engines.  The elimination of the precups, the added efficiency and increased low end torque are all nice changes.  I also really admire all the changes they made with the ALH like the coolant bypass circuit integral to the block, no intermediate shaft, oil pump chain driven off the crank, stronger block, etc...

Reply #42May 23, 2013, 07:53:24 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2013, 07:53:24 am »
While I'm sure injectors can be a contributing factor, I had a precup fail with perfect spraying freshly rebuilt injectors and very moderate boost and fuel levels.  IDIs are fine engines, but the AHU and ALH are progressively better engines.  The elimination of the precups, the added efficiency and increased low end torque are all nice changes.  I also really admire all the changes they made with the ALH like the coolant bypass circuit integral to the block, no intermediate shaft, oil pump chain driven off the crank, stronger block, etc...

since working on my gf's 1.8t i also like the later internal waterpump blocks.

here are my pistons after cleaning, the one on the left was cyl 3 that had the bad injector and cracked head, see how much wider and darker the spray pattern on the piston is???  its much more obvious in person

Reply #43May 23, 2013, 09:31:29 pm

monomer

• Veteran

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2013, 09:31:29 pm »
Cylinder washdown doesn't make sense.

In a gasser, yes. It happens. You're spraying solvent into the cylinder. Diesel isn't a solvent,  it's an oil itself. Not saying it has the lubricity of motor oil, but I'm thinking it's not the cause. I wanna say a ring is flipped, and the cylinder wear itself wasn't helping (piston-wall was what, .004?) Could also be a non-working squirter down below (from what I heard.)

I'm going to grab the injector nexttime I'm up and test it when I do my set.
-1983 Rabbit LX 1.6/1.9 VNT build

Michigan Volkswagen Enthusiasts
www.michiganvw.org

Reply #44May 23, 2013, 10:06:18 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2013, 10:06:18 pm »
Wouldn't a bad injector cause problems by erosion?  Instead of finely atomized fuel combusting, a peeing injector could knock a glow plug tip off and wreck the cyl, or hammer the pre chamber with high pressure fuel.

Fixmyvw.com