S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: 1991 ECOdiesel my first vw  (Read 4086 times)

Reply #15May 11, 2013, 02:44:25 pm

quickrip

• User+

Re: 1991 ECOdiesel my first vw
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2013, 02:44:25 pm »
  Holy s^!7  I just turned my fuel screw up a half turn more and my boost shot up to 30 + psi. Im gonna have to put on the boost controller to calm this down a bit. I blew thebboost line off the manifold too. What do you guys hold these on with. I used a ziptie for now.
  I also had a question. When I was working on the jetta I must have messed up something with the brakes. Now when I step on them at slow speed or stopped they feel very weak and almost not there at all. When Im at speed driving around they feel normal. I also hear a whine or maybe a kind of squeak like air passing through a leak when I apply the brakes at slow speed. Is there some kind of vaccum assist or something I can check. This makes me nervous. ???
1991 ecodiesel
M&H modded td pump
M&H boost pin
arp head studs
saab intercooler
2.5" from the turbo back

Reply #16May 11, 2013, 05:29:28 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2013, 05:29:28 pm »
weak as in  soft pedal, or  hard pedal but no assist? 
the car has  a regualr vacuum booster like a gas car, and it needs to be hooked to the pump without leaks.  check valve at teh booster shoold hold vac.

Reply #17May 11, 2013, 08:13:21 pm

quickrip

• User+

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2013, 08:13:21 pm »
weak as in  soft pedal, or  hard pedal but no assist? 
the car has  a regualr vacuum booster like a gas car, and it needs to be hooked to the pump without leaks.  check valve at teh booster shoold hold vac.
  Thanks for the quick reply. I went and checked the check valve and i realized that I had broken one of the little plastic tits off when I removed the turbo oil feed line. There were two tits coming off of the valve and one was leading to the air box which seemed to do nothing. The one I broke was for the ac so i removed the air box line and hooked the ac line here. Was this a bad choice? What does the other air box line do? I blew through it and nothing, then I sucked and still nothing. Is it not needed or should I purchase a new check valve so I can hook both back up?
1991 ecodiesel
M&H modded td pump
M&H boost pin
arp head studs
saab intercooler
2.5" from the turbo back

Reply #18May 11, 2013, 09:20:39 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 09:20:39 pm »
Probably grab one at any junkyard, but in the meantime, I'd tape/goop off the broken one and add a T tot he remaining one to have everything,.

Reply #19May 17, 2013, 12:34:40 am

quickrip

• User+

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2013, 12:34:40 am »
  I'm really starting to love this little engine. What a fun new project! My cummins has a new little sister. I really love how well it responds to all the upgrades. Since my last post I hooked up the boost controller and I feel much safer at wot. I'm just under 20 psi at full boost. It pulls pretty well but I think this 8 mm pump has got to go. I've got no smoke any place in the rpm range and I'm a half turn before runaway.
  I'm working on getting a td pump, but I received my saab 900 inter cooler in the mail this week so I need to get it in now. I'm looking for recommendations on where to install this on my eco if I want to keep my ac running. AS of now I'm thinking of doing a trunk mounted battery and placing it there. Either that or remove the airbox and try to mount it on that side with a cone filter. All opinions and suggestions are welcome for my placement on this.
1991 ecodiesel
M&H modded td pump
M&H boost pin
arp head studs
saab intercooler
2.5" from the turbo back

Reply #20May 18, 2013, 12:39:38 am

quickrip

• User+

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2013, 12:39:38 am »
  Today I was playing with my injector pump and realized that I wasn't even getting full throttle. I was hitting the high idle screw and needed to move it out. So I just removed it all together and it made a huge difference in top end power. The torque feels the same , but now I can cloud out the sun at wot and I might need to turn down the fuel screw a bit. Also my egt's are out of control they climb until I let off and don't stop. I'll play around a little more tomorrow. maybe I can get a video of the ECOdiesel rippin' up the street. Fun stuff! At this point Im not so sure that the td pump is the next step for performance gains. I may need to get exhaust and the intercooler installed to drop egt's first. Time will tell.
1991 ecodiesel
M&H modded td pump
M&H boost pin
arp head studs
saab intercooler
2.5" from the turbo back

Reply #21May 18, 2013, 03:23:53 am

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2013, 03:23:53 am »
Nah, just need more air ;D

Reply #22May 18, 2013, 08:25:32 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2013, 08:25:32 pm »
And the smart rely is:

Either that or remove the airbox and try to mount it on that side with a cone filter. All opinions and suggestions are welcome for my placement on this.

Hood mount?

Fixmyvw.com