Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Suspension stiffener setup?  (Read 2894 times)

May 30, 2013, 03:41:12 pm

Turftech

• Junior

Suspension stiffener setup?
« on: May 30, 2013, 03:41:12 pm »
Hi guys. I just scooped a brand new front suspension stiffener bar but did not get any instructions with it and am hoping one of you guys that has one can answer me some questions. This one is a hardened steel tube with threaded ends and jam nuts for adjustment and round flange type "mounts" that bolt down around the strut caps. I get how to install the jack nuts etc and actually mount it to the strut towers but have no idea how much pressure or tension I should apply between the towers with the jam nuts. Is this something I want to do in cooperation with my friendly neighbourhood alignment professional? Or does one simply adjust the jam nuts until it is snugly in place? How do I know if it is set up right?

Cheers!

Oh, I should have said it is a 90 Jetta TD.

'90 Jetta GL TD  570'000 Kms and counting (Gave her to a friend)
'92 Passat G60 Syncro Wagon 180'000kms. TDI conversion project
'87 Jetta Coupe 325'000kms. MF IDI conversion project

Reply #1May 30, 2013, 08:47:00 pm

745 turbogreasel

Re: Suspension stiffener setup?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 08:47:00 pm »
Neutral, they just lock it in place, unless you are out of camber adjustment.

Reply #2May 30, 2013, 09:25:56 pm

Turftech

• Junior

Re: Suspension stiffener setup?
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 09:25:56 pm »
Cheers! So, I want it snug but dead neutral with neither inward nor outward pressure or tension? And I presume that is just the initial set, right? I am hoping to dial in a bit more camber to loosen it up a bit and reduce under-steer while on dirt. Then I will return it to neutral for street driving. This car should be a fine rail by the end of the weekend. All new struts, shocks, springs, control arms, ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar bushing kit and capped off with the tower brace. Do the rear tower braces do much with the type 2? (Axle beam type) I figured with the beam there ain't much point.

And I should say thanks for all the info at this site. I have found everything I needed to rebuild this little beaut. The tricked out engine goes in this fall then it's off to the paint shop.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 09:30:49 pm by Turftech »
'90 Jetta GL TD  570'000 Kms and counting (Gave her to a friend)
'92 Passat G60 Syncro Wagon 180'000kms. TDI conversion project
'87 Jetta Coupe 325'000kms. MF IDI conversion project

S-PAutomotive.com