Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: mtdi and low end tourqe  (Read 2091 times)

May 22, 2013, 10:24:43 am

nwcali6

• Junior

mtdi and low end tourqe
« on: May 22, 2013, 10:24:43 am »
  I'm replacing the 1.6 in my Jeep with a 1.9 1z.  The biggest reason is the 1.6 lacks tourqe to pull 5th gear on anything but flat land with no wind and you have to keep it below 55ish.  I also have a small trailer that I sometimes put behind it, and I've had it with 2,700 pounds..flat land, again is fine, but even a small hill would kill it (with no trailer) if you wanted more than 55..

So, will the Mtdi give me good tourqe on the 1.9 or would keeping the electronics be a big advantage over mtdi?  I'm also looking at keeping this many years and from what I understand Mtdi hurts MPG by about 4 Mpg, is that right?

Thanks

Reply #1May 22, 2013, 10:32:32 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

Re: mtdi and low end tourqe
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 10:32:32 am »
The electronic controls will not give any power advantage whatsoever over a properly built mTDI pump.  None.  The only advantages to the electronic controls are slightly reduced emissions and maybe slightly increased fuel economy due to the electronic control of the wastegate and on-the-fly timing adjustment.  I would guess the fuel economy difference to be closer to 1%.  Those advantages come at the expense of reduced reliability and more difficult/expensive tuning.  
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 10:37:10 am by libbydiesel »

Reply #2May 22, 2013, 11:15:40 am

nwcali6

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 11:15:40 am »
The electronic controls will not give any power advantage whatsoever over a properly built mTDI pump.  None.  The only advantages to the electronic controls are slightly reduced emissions and maybe slightly increased fuel economy due to the electronic control of the wastegate and on-the-fly timing adjustment.  I would guess the fuel economy difference to be closer to 1%.  Those advantages come at the expense of reduced reliability and more difficult/expensive tuning.  

I didn't think it would be that close.. Good to hear.

Reply #3May 22, 2013, 11:43:41 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 11:43:41 am »
My mTDI will thoroughly spank a stock e-TDI without any visible smoke whatsoever.

Reply #4May 22, 2013, 12:16:04 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 12:16:04 pm »

unloaded with my arss.. partial fuel.. weight this past juunkyard time was almost 2700lbs  i think their scale off.. but  years ago before rear cabenit, my major weight loss.. it was 2650 with full tank..

the item pulled ill say is 1000lbs ish..

what you do not see if the wooden bunkbeds.. 2 people other then driver.. their luggage.. all the pieces the car does not have on it.. are all tucked inside it too.. so add a good 1000-1500lbs more

i ran it to san fran from ne ohio.. thru denver.. vegas so on.. going west out of denver on way to vegas i beleive i blew the boost connector from the turbo to the ic pipe.. had a period of 1400*f egt i could not get lower.. and started a 250ish mile per qt of oil consumption.. still made it home and towed a car too..

turbo is toast.. lastweekend i finally ripped into it.. boost leak fix 600miles ago fixed milage concerns.. but oil usage nope.. but turbo is wobbly now :P the shaft perty black.. but never smoked!! but it was making 15psi with major boost leak... at manifold.. so overspun/overspooled who knows how many miles..

best milage of the 6400miles was cali where 55mph while towing law imposed.. was 36ish pulling car.. every 10mph more = about 4mpg less.. those 80mph states sucked at mid 20s... but its a windresistance thing... but 3 of us camping = cheaper then motel.. ive convinced myself it is a great car.. not perfect at any one thing.. but good at so many it is great..

in 5th gear.. has 98tdi 02a in it.. it will do 70mph to tripple digits with ease at not to the floor go pedal... and not a soot monster either

your losses are in the driveline.. 4x4.. wind resistance.. so keep that in mind... will effect the milage...

my 1.6td b3 wagon scores me 41mpg loaded down...

bbob's libby pumped tdi-m is getting 45ish... same body.. same weights..

my 1.6td is unmodded.. its out of a 83 jetta.. been running the set up for 11 years now.. never done anything to its pump.. but its one of the few stock run like snot engines.. ive seen good and bad running stock ones.. this one is silly stocker..

the torque differance between his b3 and mine is noticable.. a b4 tdi-e sedan has a tad more torque then my b3 set up.. when i drove bbob's last his had a tad more.. but i have not driven bbob's since he tuned it in.. next time he in town i plan to..

my m setup is close to same as bbob's except i have a rover pump on mine.. thats whats in the aluminum box..

hope this helps some.. reason o fpost.. easy.. to commpair 2 b3 passats with a 1.6td vs a 1.9 tdi-m... and then milage of the m in my box and how im abusing it..

Reply #5May 22, 2013, 01:08:34 pm

nwcali6

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 01:08:34 pm »

unloaded with my arss.. partial fuel.. weight this past juunkyard time was almost 2700lbs  i think their scale off.. but  years ago before rear cabenit, my major weight loss.. it was 2650 with full tank..

the item pulled ill say is 1000lbs ish..

what you do not see if the wooden bunkbeds.. 2 people other then driver.. their luggage.. all the pieces the car does not have on it.. are all tucked inside it too.. so add a good 1000-1500lbs more

i ran it to san fran from ne ohio.. thru denver.. vegas so on.. going west out of denver on way to vegas i beleive i blew the boost connector from the turbo to the ic pipe.. had a period of 1400*f egt i could not get lower.. and started a 250ish mile per qt of oil consumption.. still made it home and towed a car too..

turbo is toast.. lastweekend i finally ripped into it.. boost leak fix 600miles ago fixed milage concerns.. but oil usage nope.. but turbo is wobbly now :P the shaft perty black.. but never smoked!! but it was making 15psi with major boost leak... at manifold.. so overspun/overspooled who knows how many miles..

best milage of the 6400miles was cali where 55mph while towing law imposed.. was 36ish pulling car.. every 10mph more = about 4mpg less.. those 80mph states sucked at mid 20s... but its a windresistance thing... but 3 of us camping = cheaper then motel.. ive convinced myself it is a great car.. not perfect at any one thing.. but good at so many it is great..

in 5th gear.. has 98tdi 02a in it.. it will do 70mph to tripple digits with ease at not to the floor go pedal... and not a soot monster either

your losses are in the driveline.. 4x4.. wind resistance.. so keep that in mind... will effect the milage...

my 1.6td b3 wagon scores me 41mpg loaded down...

bbob's libby pumped tdi-m is getting 45ish... same body.. same weights..

my 1.6td is unmodded.. its out of a 83 jetta.. been running the set up for 11 years now.. never done anything to its pump.. but its one of the few stock run like snot engines.. ive seen good and bad running stock ones.. this one is silly stocker..

the torque differance between his b3 and mine is noticable.. a b4 tdi-e sedan has a tad more torque then my b3 set up.. when i drove bbob's last his had a tad more.. but i have not driven bbob's since he tuned it in.. next time he in town i plan to..

my m setup is close to same as bbob's except i have a rover pump on mine.. thats whats in the aluminum box..

hope this helps some.. reason o fpost.. easy.. to commpair 2 b3 passats with a 1.6td vs a 1.9 tdi-m... and then milage of the m in my box and how im abusing it..

Thanks for the information, I'll be going the Mtdi route.  My Jeep weighs 2600 pounds, its the wind that kills it.  gearing is 4:11's with a 5 speed AX15 (.76 od) so I'll be spinning 2,100 rpms at 60.  This should work out really well (for mpg).

While the 55 towing rule sucks, it is way safer.  But its funny as hell to see a big rv truck pull a little unloaded trailer and be limited to 55 here...

Reply #6May 22, 2013, 01:29:58 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 01:29:58 pm »
glad the insight helped.. my biggest issue with 55... all the idiots who run up on you not paying attention... the jackrabbit pulled so nice though the 80mph states felt like 55... the reflector set i zip tied to it were more effective then the lights on it... but at night i was worried abt getting it in the arss in la on a sat night.. those "parking lots" sucked...

interesting question i did not want to find out though... car pool lanes... can you tow in one? would have helped so much if i knew i could..

Reply #7May 22, 2013, 04:10:40 pm

nwcali6

• Junior

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 04:10:40 pm »
glad the insight helped.. my biggest issue with 55... all the idiots who run up on you not paying attention... the jackrabbit pulled so nice though the 80mph states felt like 55... the reflector set i zip tied to it were more effective then the lights on it... but at night i was worried abt getting it in the arss in la on a sat night.. those "parking lots" sucked...

interesting question i did not want to find out though... car pool lanes... can you tow in one? would have helped so much if i knew i could..

As far as I know as long as you have the needed number of people you can.  Cops look for violators in them though..big time.. Nothing like free BS money to them... Didn't we all pay for that road to be paved?

Reply #8May 22, 2013, 04:15:22 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 04:15:22 pm »
I beleive most of the ETDIs  run torque limiting in 1st gear to avoid  glass tranny warranty payouts.

Reply #9May 22, 2013, 04:27:25 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 04:27:25 pm »
I got 50mpg on a short fill up the other day with my b3 mTdi (pump built by libby). It has so much more power than my 1.6td its incredible.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent
Need a car transported a long distance? Pm me for details.

Reply #10May 22, 2013, 09:05:12 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 09:05:12 pm »
I run an 020 behind my 11mm rover pumped AHU with the k03.

The ACN, which has a 3.67 final and .75 5th gear and my tires (185/60/14) puts me right around 2500 at 100 km/h. It is boosting pretty hard at that point, seeing as how the e-tdi maxed torque at 1900.. I am really cruising right where shes making the top end of torque.. BUT, the 80-150 pull is incredible haa. The 1500-3500 rpm pull in any gear is WHOA WTF.

I am completely in love with the engine, so much so that I am on the hunt to swap out my bro's mk1 AAZ and my gf's mk2 1.6 TD LOL!

S-PAutomotive.com