Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Turbo info needed, Renault J8S-234 engine, trying to replace turbo!  (Read 5750 times)

April 30, 2013, 09:24:51 am

houseofdiesel

• Junior

Hi, if anyone can point me in the right direction...trying to replace the turbo on my Winnebago Lesharo's (have two, yes both need turbos due to rust/wastegates). I have sourced a Mercedes 300D/SD turbo for one brand new (1985 model year) it is slightly bigger then what came on the Lesharo. The turbos have no id tags on them, 0.36 A/R exhaust side vs 0.42 on the Mercedes replacement, they are not really rebuildable as the rust is really bad on the exhaust side and the cost to fix them is as much as a modern turbo. Old school T3 style turbos apparently are not available anymore in small frame housings...so what else could I find to replace the second one? It has a T3 flange on the exhaust manifold, lots of space around it/easy downpipe to deal with so I don't mind if its different flanges on the exit side or intake side. I would happily upgrade to a watercooled turbo even variable nozzle turbine if it can be done without electronics (since non exist on this engine), but want something that will fit the manifold easily. Parts are not exactly easy to find for these units...
The smallest modern GT series that will work is a GT28 modified for T3 (what my local turbo builder is advising) either in journal bearing or ball bearing, but I think it is a bit too big for what I want (boost at low rpm as this is where is needs the most help, but also free flowing enough at cruising speed ~3000rpm to avoid heat). I don't really care about the cost, just so long as it will provide low end boost and is not a rusty old housing core rebuilt.
Any web sites that focus on older turbo upgrades for small frame turbos?

Reply #1April 30, 2013, 04:02:09 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: Turbo info needed, Renault J8S-234 engine, trying to replace turbo!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 04:02:09 pm »
GT28 is WAY TOO BIG..

might as well not even run a turbo with something that big, because by the time it spools, you will be out of RPM..

why cant you get a welder to build your wastegate valve seats back up, so they seal again?

there should be no rust BTW.. most turbo housings are CAST STAINLESS STEEL..

or find a Jeep w/ renault TD, and use that turbo..

can you post pics of the original turbo? you have asked for help many times now, but i dont remember ever seeing pics?
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Fixmyvw.com