Engine Specific Info and Questions > TDI Engine -General Info

Retaining ac but running water pump off serpentine on 1z

(1/7) > >>

bbob203:
Is this possible? I hate The idea that if my ps pump locks up and I have to remove the belt i lose coolant flow.

CRSMP5:
not easily.. the wp pully needs to be 2 pieces with shims to adjust the belt.. i still think 83-86 quantium td had that.. but never confirmed

libbydiesel:
There is a mythical CCW rotating water pump that would allow alt, A/C and water pump to all be run by the serp belt, but it was never offered on anything in North America.  I wouldn't want to rely on an unavailable water pump either.  You can run alt and A/C with the serp belt and then run just the water pump with the 1.6TD Quantum/Audi water pump pulley.  Flipped backwards it gives the correct offset, correct diameter and is the split pulley type that allows adjustment by removal or replacement of shims between the two halves.  I've been running that way for several years.  I think you could also run that pulley rather than the solid one with the PS pump although by mTDI doesn't have PS so I haven't done so.  That way, all you'd need to tote is the smaller belt to eliminate the PS pump on the side of the road.  

bbob203:
I'm trying to envision this .. any pics?

CRSMP5:
alt pully you took apart with 2 halves.. same thing but with 3 holes.. then they have big round shims to make the groove wider/thinner which is how you adjust tenson on the belt..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version