S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: swaping out a 1.5L...need some advice (1.6td or 1.9L NA)  (Read 2637 times)

April 23, 2013, 08:34:06 am

brandnwname

swaping out a 1.5L...need some advice (1.6td or 1.9L NA)
« on: April 23, 2013, 08:34:06 am »
I have a '79 Rabbit diesel with a 1.5L that is not worth repairing after sitting with a blown head gasket (head is warped really bad and the block is rusted and pitted to the point where it isn't going to have very good compression).  Since I would like a little more power anyway, I have been looking at swapping out the engine.  I have a lead on a 1.6td and a few 1.9L NA within my budget.  Since they have roughly the same HP and torque I am trying to get some advice on what is the best option for me. 

What do you guys think is the best route to go?  Which one would be an easier swap?  How does my 4 speed transmission effect my decision? 

Thanks for any advice

Bryan

Reply #1April 23, 2013, 09:02:13 am

CRSMP5

Re: swaping out a 1.5L...need some advice (1.6td or 1.9L NA)
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 09:02:13 am »
4 speed vs 5 is just shift points.. the overall ratio is damb close..

me id say 1.6td as parts less/easy to find vs 1.9idi stuff in usa.. and i hear/read 1.9na got even more goofy items vs the 1.9td verson..

not knowing your location.. effects tdi value.. why not look into a tdi-e or m swap? does not sound like it was a daily before.. and sat long enough to do full bumper to bumper as if the bores that rotted the brakes will be too.. id just plan out a build to fufill your desires vs rush to drive..

Reply #2April 23, 2013, 09:20:41 am

brandnwname

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 09:20:41 am »
it wasn't a daily drive, but I drove it quite a bit when it was nice out.  It sat for about a year with water/coolant sitting in the block after the head gasket blew.  I was going to work on it right away but I broke my wrist shortly after it happened and timing with people who could help and finances fell through.

Breaks were done last year, really just needs a better paint job and few dings here and there fixed

Here are a couple links to the car
http://forums.dubkorps.com/showthread.php?t=7788&highlight=Diesel
http://www.kch2o.com/forum/eurotrash-profiles/1979-rabbit-diesel-c/

Reply #3April 23, 2013, 12:31:03 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 12:31:03 pm »
needs a tdi.. looks clean.. do a crunchy style tdi swap like he hadd on the 77 he finally sold... the baby blue one that was paired in a pvw mag think other baby blue one was a 1.8t swap..

his looked like stock 77 bunny till hood opened.. inside stock and out with a few +1 on wheels/bumpers..

id go td.. you can sort exhaust, ic down the road so on with ideas tdi one day and those parts can be reused.. :D plus here turbo = straight pipe.. imo sounds better the na.. 

S-PAutomotive.com