Author Topic: Oil cooler questions. Looking at universal setup.  (Read 9103 times)

Reply #30April 29, 2013, 10:02:52 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

Re: Oil cooler questions. Looking at universal setup.
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2013, 10:02:52 pm »
Find a Volvo 240 or 740 turbo in junkyard if you are looking for cheap.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh136/redwoodchair/240%20Turbo%20Parts/240TurboOilCoolerKit1.jpg

Everyone in Europe that had them factory used that setup.  Except cheap-ass VW. :)
And Porsche since there junk is in the wrong end of the car.
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #31April 29, 2013, 10:12:04 pm

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    AAZ 1.9, HE 200 Turbo, 82 Vanagon, AAP 5 speed
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2013, 10:12:04 pm »

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh136/redwoodchair/240%20Turbo%20Parts/240TurboOilCoolerKit1.jpg

Everyone in Europe that had them factory used that setup.  Except cheap-ass VW. :)
Thanks for the pointer - I'll check the local wreckers.
I already bought the cooler and fan though - just need a way to hold the oil back from the cooler till it warms up.
Jim W - 82 Vanagon Westy - AAZ 1.9, Mild head port, Cummins Holset HE200WE turbo, Frozen Boost WAIC, 10" Charge-pipe intake, Ball bearing IM shaft, Giles Pump, 215/70R16, AAP 5 speed Trans. 22 lbs max boost

Reply #32April 30, 2013, 12:36:31 am

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2013, 12:36:31 am »
That Volvo piece will do it if you can rummage one up, should be cheap, the remote filter adapter will go on after it.  Snag the threaded tube off the Volvo too if you find one.  The guys on turbobricks.com forum probably have one pretty cheap too.
The other one like aircraftspruce has is pretty common if you want to remote mount it for some reason.
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #33April 30, 2013, 08:53:14 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2013, 08:53:14 am »

Thanks for the pointer - I'll check the local wreckers.
I already bought the cooler and fan though - just need a way to hold the oil back from the cooler till it warms up.

Did you read my post on the last of page 2?

Reply #34April 30, 2013, 09:35:26 am

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2013, 09:35:26 am »

Did you read my post on the last of page 2?
I did. I ordered one last night along with a set of ARP studs from Summit - it made the adapter seem super inexpensive that way ;D

Not sure how I will plumb it but once I have it in my hands, I'll figure it out.

I'll want the oil to go to the dual filter unit first, then back to the by-pass. If it's cold it will keep doing the loop. Once it warms up, the by-pass will send it off to the oil cooler. That's the part I don't get yet - how that's all going to happen.

In my head, I can only see having the by-pass somewhere after the remote dual filter unit - creating the split based on temp.

Thanks guys. I'll keep you posted on how it works out. Hopefully, there won't be a snarl of hoses where my filter used to be, It's nice and clean with that simple two port adapter there now - no more dumping oil on the block when I change filters.
Jim W - 82 Vanagon Westy - AAZ 1.9, Mild head port, Cummins Holset HE200WE turbo, Frozen Boost WAIC, 10" Charge-pipe intake, Ball bearing IM shaft, Giles Pump, 215/70R16, AAP 5 speed Trans. 22 lbs max boost

Reply #35April 30, 2013, 11:52:02 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2013, 11:52:02 am »
The bypass will send all the oil to the filters. The separat lines will take the oil to the cooler.

Reply #36April 30, 2013, 03:48:09 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2013, 03:48:09 pm »
Going the Volvo route, you'd want the Volvo  block nipple.  I didn't think of that, and had to buy an expensive die  to shorten  the air/water one.

you NEED to have custom lines built too, BTW..

there is no way to easily use the OEM volvo 240 turbo cooler lines..

i bent them in many different shapes trying to make them work, but no dice.. you need to have custom oil lines made up, preferably out of some flexible line..

you need the 240T block nipple that the filter screws to, the sandwich, the lines, and the cooler..

the nipple from the 240 block needs even further shortening to fit the VW setup..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #37April 30, 2013, 08:40:51 pm

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2013, 08:40:51 pm »
Going the Volvo route, you'd want the Volvo  block nipple.  I didn't think of that, and had to buy an expensive die  to shorten  the air/water one.

i bent them in many different shapes trying to make them work, but no dice.. you need to have custom oil lines made up, preferably out of some flexible line..

you need the 240T block nipple that the filter screws to, the sandwich, the lines, and the cooler..

the nipple from the 240 block needs even further shortening to fit the VW setup..

Turbo, I am going to make custom lines anyhoo. I'd never run lines from a used engine even if I was going to use the Volvo cooler.
I think using the added kit mentioned by theman and routing the new hoses properly, all will work out.

Thanks for the feedback.

Reply #38May 01, 2013, 10:35:20 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2013, 10:35:20 pm »

Cutting the metal lines and using new 12mm ferrels solves the
"lines are too long" and
 "can't bend them into shape"
 problems, both at the same time.

I did reuse parts of the volvo metal lines and both the rubber ones.
 One did eventually leak after about 3 years.

Some of the hose fittings for the volvo stuff, like 1/2 BSP fittings, is more expensive than AN fittings or similar flares.
and more difficult to find around here.

On custom Rabbits oil cooler lines; I have to use a 45degree adapters right from the sandwich to jump around the alternator.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #39May 02, 2013, 02:32:59 am

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2013, 02:32:59 am »
Fittings from 80s-90s Saab work on the Volvo stuff too, and Saab uses a rubber hose which is usually leaking, but  you can have the Hydraulic shop put  any length of new hose on those ends.

Reply #40May 03, 2013, 12:25:58 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2013, 12:25:58 am »
I have the ends from the volvo hose that broke and can't find a local hydrolic shop that will crimp a new hose on the old ends.
 Most of the new ends have a metal piece that crimps on the hose,
 that got cut off when I removed it.

Reply #41May 03, 2013, 08:21:16 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2013, 08:21:16 am »
Yeah, I don't imagine many shops would do that unless the parts were in great condition. I think what is being said is that a new hose can be made by bringing your old hose in. I have one hose shop that will pretty much make up anything if you want it. Most want to sell you all new stuff so they can stand behind it and make more money.

Reply #42May 03, 2013, 09:19:38 am

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2013, 09:19:38 am »
Does it need to be hydraulic hose and crimped fittings? I mean were only talking max 100 psi. No doubt I'd never want it to fail but wouldn't thermo-plastic hose and AN fittings work, Then you could make them up yourself.

Thermo-plastic hose is rated to 2000 psi at 250 F for #8. I can get the hose for 3 bucks a foot and Summit has #8 straights for less than 7 bucks each. I'm just not sure if these fitting will fit that hose. The stainless braid cover stuff runs nearly 9 bucks a foot and while it looks cool, I doubt it's necessary.

Reply #43May 03, 2013, 12:51:13 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
Re: Re: Oil cooler questions. Looking at universal setup.
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2013, 12:51:13 pm »
I personally hate the aluminum an fittings. It doesn't have to be hyd. Hose just oil rated and pressure rated enough for our engines

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reply #44May 03, 2013, 03:37:13 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2013, 03:37:13 pm »
So I'm concidering reusing the volvo compression fitting ends and double hose-clamping new hose over the barbed fittings.

I think the rubber hose I used is referred to as power steering line.
 So much of the hydrolic hose has metal strands running through it and is very stiff but
 the power steering stuff can handle some pressure and hot oil while still being flexible.