Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1982 5 cyl 2.0 Audi 5000 Turbo Diesel Head Gasket, Studs. and other questions.  (Read 1875 times)

March 31, 2013, 03:33:58 pm

VW

• Junior

I have an 82 Audi 5000 that I got many years ago in a trade. It supposedly just had a blown head gasket. So I had the head popped off recently only to discover the head was cracked between the valves as well as the number 2 cyl was cracked from the pre-chamber to one of the valves.

I found and bought me a rebuilt 5 cyl N/A diesel head from a 1979 engine. I think it was surfaced too from the way it looks and I know my engine was using a 2 notch head gasket.

Is it wise to use a 3 notch with the rebuilt head or would it be safe to use the 2 notch? How might I find out which one to go with?

The person I got the head from didn't remember much about what was done to the head as it had been several years ago when it was rebuilt. So I am completely on my own here.

Also will I have any issues with it being a N/A head going on a Turbo Motor? I am wondering about using Head Studs as well? I am not sure but I believe the 79 Head used 11mm head bolts and the 82 Turbo head used 12mm or something like that?? I want to use Studs to give it that extra strength.

Any recommendations on a brand of studs? Also any recommendation on a brand head gasket? Are eBay gaskets and studs any good or??

Thanks in advance, VW

Reply #1March 31, 2013, 04:29:23 pm

745 turbogreasel

Measure the stickup of all 5 pistons to determine HG thickness.  You never  know if it was previously replaced with a wrong one, and if yo have a bent rod, it will show as a low piston.

If you are in europe, you can probably  get  a Viton coated MLS gasket which holds better, but requires a smoother surface to work properly.  Goetz, Reinz, and Ajusa all  sell them.

Your head will have to be drilled for 12MM bolts and washers, unless maybe you are feeling frisky with  heliCoils.

Reply #2April 06, 2013, 01:23:09 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Measure the stickup of all 5 pistons to determine HG thickness.  You never  know if it was previously replaced with a wrong one, and if yo have a bent rod, it will show as a low piston.

If you are in europe, you can probably  get  a Viton coated MLS gasket which holds better, but requires a smoother surface to work properly.  Goetz, Reinz, and Ajusa all  sell them.

Your head will have to be drilled for 12MM bolts and washers, unless maybe you are feeling frisky with  heliCoils.

yup.. 11mm head bolts on the n/a engine..

12mm bolts dont fit in an 11mm head...
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.