Author Topic: Time for a rebuild?  (Read 1991 times)

March 26, 2013, 02:58:41 pm

-Alex-

Time for a rebuild?
« on: March 26, 2013, 02:58:41 pm »
Hey guys, new to here :D usually post on ed38 / vwvortex. But since the GTD is a fairly rare model no one seems to know much about them. I don't really have a clue about diesels, more of a petrol head. My other mk2 golf is a 20vt with forged internals and a hx35w turbo, currently a bit of a work in progress lol, but aiming for about 400bhp ;D

I have a 91 mk2 gtd, came to me with t3 turbo and 1.9 head and a hybrid pump??? Supposedly alot of the works was done at Brickwerks has stickers and plate holders so makes sense. I've seen Brickwerks post here so just for reference the plate is J882SJW the last owners surname was mclaren, if you recall :)

Now the problem is I'm loosing coolant at a rapid rate, from full to empty in roughly two weeks. No visable leaks, no white sludge on the oil cap, no oil in res bottle, no white smoke, so I can only assume its burning through the headgasket? If so I believe the best method is to upgrade to a AAZ headgasket? Are the headbolts torque to yeild? Also are there any precautions to be taken while swapping the headgaskets on these?

Cheers guys and apologies for all the questions.

Reply #1March 26, 2013, 05:41:00 pm

damac

• Veteran

Re: Time for a rebuild?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 05:41:00 pm »
before any of that, if you can't find the residue on the outside of the car to show external leaks, have you ruled out the heater core?

over a couple weeks a while back my 85 jetta went from no consumption, to needing to top reservoir off after 180 miles.

i used that opportunity to tune the car up and replaced every hose, reservoir/cap and clamps, etc.

still didn't stop the level from dropping after a drive.

until one day with the car in the garage for whatever reason, i jumped into the car and noticed a river on the drivers side floor.

i had to rip out the interior and was everything down because of molding.

all that vw matting didn't like sitting water too much and it stunk like hell under there.
1985 turbo diesel jetta

Reply #2March 26, 2013, 05:53:07 pm

-Alex-

Re: Time for a rebuild?
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 05:53:07 pm »
Cheers for the reply :) I've felt down in the passenger footwell and it doesn't appear to feel damp at all, and it still has the bypass valves fitted, so I kinda put my mind at ease with that. But I may pull back the carpets and feel for damp. My other mk2 had this though - felt dry but underneath it was wet and smelt of eggs  :-X