Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Help troubleshoot a Yanmar 4TN82E-AS diesel in a Mustang 940 Skidsteer  (Read 9493 times)

March 25, 2013, 12:40:53 am

rabin505

• www.505turbo.com
Hi guys,

A friend of mine is having issues with his Mustang skidsteer not wanting to start.  I figured this might be a good place to see if anyone can offer suggestions on what could possibly be the issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlAL_6KD5z0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

What I know so far:
Started and ran for 30sec.. idled down and stalled. Then this...  (see video)
Thought it was out of fuel (it was low)
Fuelled and bled system
A shot of ether almost makes it stop turning over (which I find odd). 

I'm just getting into diesels myself, and suggested a tiny shot of ether to see what it did - IE if it roared to life a little more.  It causing the cranking to almost stall out makes me think something else is wrong rather than it just being a fueling / air in the fuel system issue.

Hoping those of you with much more experience can maybe tell from the video what some possible causes could be so that we can get this thing going again.  Saskatchewan is getting some CRAZY snow fall and he needs to dig out!

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Rabin

1986 505 TD wagon (2.5L XD3T w/ 4sp automatic)

Reply #1March 25, 2013, 12:52:18 am

8v-of-fury

The ether will goo boom before the piston gets to TDC. It does this because it is EXTREMELY volatile as that is what its purpose is right? ;). So the ether goes bang when the piston is half way up and already at gasoline engine compression.. this massive explosion is fighting the piston up to TDC, which is the slowing or even stopping of the starter that you are experiencing.

No more ETHER, BAD BAD BAD. lol.

If it ran and then stopped for some unknown reason.. They usually have some pretty stubborn fuel systems on those to bleed properly especially if they are older and un-cared for.

Are you sure the system is bled 100%?

Reply #2March 25, 2013, 01:02:17 am

rabin505

• www.505turbo.com
Terry cracked the lines as per the instructions he had and no luck.  I told him to try the trick of using a fluid suction pump on the pump return line to pull fuel through the pump to ensure it bled out nice.  (Worked great on my Peugeot) but still no luck.

Ether firing before TDC makes total sense.  And yes I know Ether is bad bad, but sometimes in desperation I'll use a tiny shot to see verify / confirm it's fuel or something else.  If there's no change I search from something not fuel related, if it fires then I know it is fuel related and I chase that down.

Is there something better than could be used to fire a diesel a little safer as a test that could be sprayed in like ether just to confirm the engine will fire?

Another possibility was to have him check the fuel solenoid - but he was getting some spray out of the injector lines so not really hopeful on it being that simple.

Rabin
1986 505 TD wagon (2.5L XD3T w/ 4sp automatic)

Reply #3March 25, 2013, 05:45:04 am

745 turbogreasel

That is just way too much ether.   We have a 7.3 dump truck been starting on the stuff 4-6 years now.
With one hand, you use a screwdriver to jump the start solenoid.
While the engine is cranking,  the other, hand sprays 2 tiny puffs of ether across(not into) the snorkel, about 6 " from the snorkel.
Damn thing starts by the 3rd  try every time.

S-PAutomotive.com