Author Topic: Weekend project..  (Read 2071 times)

March 24, 2013, 01:28:25 am

wolf_walker

• Veteran

Weekend project..
« on: March 24, 2013, 01:28:25 am »
No fun.  At all.

Stainless fender arch trim and plastic leading edge rear arch trim.
Interestingly on the 81 LX the leading arch trim was a stick on piece al-la Porsche 944 rocker trim.

The paint underneath held up fairly well, but was caked with damp dirt, not surprisingly.

Treatment consisted of washing both pieces of trim with purple power, polishing the stainless with a nice
metal polish, and treating the plastic with Mcguires non-reflective interior protectant(washed in hot water, dried, and let soak
in the sun for an hour.  Both pieces were quite sandblasted from 400K miles of use.  Also of note that while the trim was stainless, the screws were not.  I replaced them with stainless hardware, and used double sided 3M tape on the perimeter of the plastic.

The body was washed and scrubbed, the bottom edge was sanded and primed and given a coat of black, and the whole works
was waxed before reinstalling the trim.  Should hold up for awhile.

Also I undercoated the wheel wells, with special attention to the inner lip, toward the rear where I installed the muflaps it creates a pocket I wanted protected from accumulated crud between washings.

The 3M undercoating turned out pretty well for spraycan stuff, dried non-sticky, but if the factory stuff hadn't held up
pretty well I'd still not trust it.

All in all it took every morning for a week and part of a saturday.
Turned out pretty well.
Front's gonna suck, pass side I have to pull the fender and weld in a patch

Eventually, the entire lower part of the body from the lowest body line down is going to get
bedliner'd.  

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 06:00:40 pm by wolf_walker »

Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two