S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Jezebel Jetta  (Read 5330 times)

Reply #15April 19, 2013, 10:40:48 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re: Jezebel Jetta
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 10:40:48 am »
Good question... I know I had that around somewhere... <digging through the internet>

It should be flowing about 35 lpm / 9 gpm, so that would be quite a lot to flow through the small tubing of a condenser.  Someone suggested splitting the condenser into 2 or 3 separate loops by unsoldering some of the 'U' fittings on one side and then flowing through the loops in parallel - that might be a workable way to handle it though the tubing is definitely quite small.
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #16April 23, 2013, 04:25:12 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

Re: Re: Jezebel Jetta
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 04:25:12 pm »
What's the seat of the pants difference and MPG w and w/o the AWIC?

The turbo adds a lot of heat when it compresses air. The more boost, the more heat. Factory boost levels are fairly benign but past about 15 psi the amount of heat being added causes so much expansion that it negates the benefits of the higher pressure.

An intercooler chills the air post turbo back as close to ambient as possible. By cooling the air down it becomes denser, allowing more of it to fit in the engine. The more air you can fit, the more fuel you can burn.

After I added the intercooler I was able to increase my boost up to about 25 psi. Colder denser air will cause the fuel to be burned more completely, which also will result in improved mileage.

So what you get is a potential for more power and better mileage!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Reply #17April 23, 2013, 08:06:43 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re: Re: Jezebel Jetta
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 08:06:43 pm »
The AWIC gained me about 15% mileage wise. I turned my turbo and pump up quite a lot when I added it so it probably could be even more. I have my boost controller set to open at about 22 PSI.

Seat of the pants was quite noticeable, although that was most definitely related to the increased boost and fueling too. Jezzie is pretty quick once she's spooled up, I can pull away from most economy cars no problem.  Hill climbing especially.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Bryn

Reply #18May 22, 2013, 12:17:43 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 12:17:43 pm »
So like I mentioned in my build thread, Jezebel's gasser sister got run nearly out of oil.  Filled her up with some 20W50 and got rid of her.  But we've got a new "relative" now to keep Jezebel company in the driveway:

2004 1.8T with the 09A 5-speed automatic.  Man that car is FAST!  Definitely can't hold a candle to Jezebel in terms of fuel mileage though.

I did grab a couple more good parts of the "bad" Mk3 before getting rid of it.  Did a hood swap - Jezzie's hood had a bunch of stone chips, one good scratch, a quarter-sized spot of rust and some stains in the paint.  The other hood was way better.  In the end Jezzie got the interior panels, seats, rear doors, rear bumper cover, center mount brake light, sunroof motor and hood from the other one.
Bryn

Reply #19May 23, 2013, 07:59:55 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 07:59:55 am »
So like I mentioned in my build thread, Jezebel's gasser sister got run nearly out of oil.  Filled her up with some 20W50 and got rid of her.  But we've got a new "relative" now to keep Jezebel company in the driveway:

2004 1.8T with the 09A 5-speed automatic.  Man that car is FAST!  Definitely can't hold a candle to Jezebel in terms of fuel mileage though.

I did grab a couple more good parts of the "bad" Mk3 before getting rid of it.  Did a hood swap - Jezzie's hood had a bunch of stone chips, one good scratch, a quarter-sized spot of rust and some stains in the paint.  The other hood was way better.  In the end Jezzie got the interior panels, seats, rear doors, rear bumper cover, center mount brake light, sunroof motor and hood from the other one.

yes those later 1.8t's really run, i don't want to exaggerate it and make it sound like i think they're 10 second cars from the factory, but i've driven plenty of cars that were faster and for 180hp and being stock they really do go along.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Fixmyvw.com