Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1985 Turbo Diesel cluster, with tach, upgraded.  (Read 6158 times)

March 08, 2013, 05:13:03 pm

Jettagli16v

• Veteran

1985 Turbo Diesel cluster, with tach, upgraded.
« on: March 08, 2013, 05:13:03 pm »
Hey guys,
Anyone want a good Mk2 cluster?

This was out of my 85 Turbo Diesel,
so it has a tach!

I have replaced the lamps with two of a slightly higher wattage, so you can actually see all of your gauges.
Also, the odo stopped working, so I took it to a guy in town who specializes in VDO gauges, and he replaced the gears for the odometer with better ones, so it won't break on you!
Everything works perfectly, but I cannot confirm operation of the upshift indicator as the little microswitches were missing from my engine, and I never saw the upshift light go on.

$220 Shipped to the US.

Also, I have everything in the picture except for the steering wheel and quick disconnect. If you need interior stuff, let me know.

Thanks!
-Brad

EDIT: Price was supposed to be shipped, not + shipping.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 07:55:48 pm by Jettagli16v »

Currently: 81 Caddy 1.9 AAZ, 1995 Audi S6, 78 ASI/Riviera camper bus 2.0, 74 THING 1.8 (resto, coming in 2020).

Reply #1March 08, 2013, 09:15:44 pm

Syncroincity

• Veteran

Re: 1985 Turbo Diesel cluster, with tach, upgraded.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 09:15:44 pm »
Advertise this on The Samba too, in the Vanagon section... the Vanagon TDI swap guys are always looking for these tachs, as they drop directly into the Vanagon gauge cluster.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/cat.php?id=57
JC McCavitt
'86 Syncro GL Camper AAZ
'98 Jetta Wolfie
'04 Passat Variant GLS 4Mo 5MT

Reply #2March 09, 2013, 11:46:17 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 11:46:17 am »
Hey guys,
Anyone want a good Mk2 cluster?

This was out of my 85 Turbo Diesel,
so it has a tach!

I have replaced the lamps with two of a slightly higher wattage, so you can actually see all of your gauges.
Also, the odo stopped working, so I took it to a guy in town who specializes in VDO gauges, and he replaced the gears for the odometer with better ones, so it won't break on you!
Everything works perfectly, but I cannot confirm operation of the upshift indicator as the little microswitches were missing from my engine, and I never saw the upshift light go on.

$220 + shipping.

Also, I have everything in the picture except for the steering wheel and quick disconnect. If you need interior stuff, let me know.

Thanks!
-Brad

Can you post a pic of the connector on the cluster? If it's a Mk2 cluster, it should have one connector, which I believe I have read somewhere started in 91.

Reply #3March 09, 2013, 01:05:05 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 01:05:05 pm »
CE1 uses 2 connectors, CE2 uses 1 connector. Both are MK2. I forget what year the change is.
Tyler

Reply #4March 09, 2013, 01:40:00 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 01:40:00 pm »
CE1 uses 2 connectors, CE2 uses 1 connector. Both are MK2. I forget what year the change is.

So MK2 used both CE1 or CE2? So it's more important to state whether the cluster is CE1 or CE2 than just MK2, in which case you don't really know what you have?

Reply #5March 09, 2013, 03:44:34 pm

JBG3

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 03:44:34 pm »
willing to sell that black plastic center console and/or the three gauge cluster you have installed in it?  I have the exact reverse, black dash and brown console
1986 1.6NA Jetta

Reply #6March 09, 2013, 05:53:12 pm

thegimpster

• Administrator
  • Junior

• VDubShirts.com Awesome VW themed shirts with attitude
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 05:53:12 pm »
Knowing the year is sufficient to knowing ce1 or 2. Plus only 85 Turbo diesels had tachs in mk2. I believe 84 td mk1 jettas had em too. Ce2 started in 89.
Check out www.vdubshirts.com for cool VW themed shirts with attitude.

Reply #7March 09, 2013, 06:30:06 pm

Jettagli16v

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 06:30:06 pm »
"So MK2 used both CE1 or CE2? So it's more important to state whether the cluster is CE1 or CE2 than just MK2, in which case you don't really know what you have?"
That reads a little bit not-so-nice, but I'll just assume it is lack of context in typed word.
I told you it was an 85 Jetta Turbo Diesel. (to my knowledge, that is the only diesel cluster with a tach you can find for the Mk2 range) That inherently means CE1.

Thanks, Burn and Gimpster for answering my questions before I could!

It's true, CE2 started (I thought with big bumpers, 1990) but it could be 89.
That's why this cluster is double what a regular Mk2 cluster is worth. To have a diesel cluster with GP light, and the tach (4500 RPM redline!!) is a bit unique, and only found on true Turbo Diesel Jettas (in the US). Also, I would sell it for a bit less if I did not already do the work of shoring up the weak spots on a mk2 cluster (uprated lights & odo gear)

This has 2 wiring connectors, on the bottom of the cluster. One is white, one black.

If you would like, I can add in the wiring connectors that connect to the harness, if you wanted to splice in. (I am not sure of how involved that job is, have never done it myself). No additional charge for wiring pigtails, if you pay the stated price.

Thanks!
-Brad
Currently: 81 Caddy 1.9 AAZ, 1995 Audi S6, 78 ASI/Riviera camper bus 2.0, 74 THING 1.8 (resto, coming in 2020).

Reply #8March 09, 2013, 06:54:14 pm

Jettagli16v

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 06:54:14 pm »
willing to sell that black plastic center console and/or the three gauge cluster you have installed in it?  I have the exact reverse, black dash and brown console

Well, everything from the Jetta is for sale, except for parts that fit my 81 Caddy.
I was hoping to use the center console in the truck, maybe, some day, but.... I am here to turn trash into cash!

The 3 gauge panel can easily be bought from 42 Draft Designs. $40-50, IIRC.
I spent $200 for gauges. All VDO Cockpit w/ green.
-EGT (0-1650F) Trashed the VDO thermocouple and used an Aircraft Spruce thermocouple. Spruce thermocouple included. ($25?)
-Boost (-35 to 25psi)
-Oil pressure to 80psi

Also, I made a nice wiring harness which plugs in to the factory connector for the cig lighter / ashtray, and used the wires that used to turn on the ashtray light (works with parking lights) and used that to power the lights on my gauges. It is nice work, if I do say so myself. But, I cannot guarantee fitment with later Mk2s. Easy enough to splice on the pigtail that used to go to the ashtray light...

I would say the center console is in 7/10 shape...

$250 shipped takes it. Sorry for the high price, but I really would rather keep it and help you make one of your own! Also, not interested in parting out the console it is too perfect for a diesel. The gauges and lights match the dash perfectly.
I also have a few spare center consoles, if you want a black one, I could do $30 + Shipping ($20?), which is fair. OR, I could make you a good deal on a brown dash, and brown door panels!!!

Thanks!
-Brad

Reply #9March 09, 2013, 07:12:05 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 07:12:05 pm »
"So MK2 used both CE1 or CE2? So it's more important to state whether the cluster is CE1 or CE2 than just MK2, in which case you don't really know what you have?"
That reads a little bit not-so-nice, but I'll just assume it is lack of context in typed word.
I told you it was an 85 Jetta Turbo Diesel. (to my knowledge, that is the only diesel cluster with a tach you can find for the Mk2 range) That inherently means CE1.

Thanks, Burn and Gimpster for answering my questions before I could!

It's true, CE2 started (I thought with big bumpers, 1990) but it could be 89.
That's why this cluster is double what a regular Mk2 cluster is worth. To have a diesel cluster with GP light, and the tach (4500 RPM redline!!) is a bit unique, and only found on true Turbo Diesel Jettas (in the US). Also, I would sell it for a bit less if I did not already do the work of shoring up the weak spots on a mk2 cluster (uprated lights & odo gear)

This has 2 wiring connectors, on the bottom of the cluster. One is white, one black.

If you would like, I can add in the wiring connectors that connect to the harness, if you wanted to splice in. (I am not sure of how involved that job is, have never done it myself). No additional charge for wiring pigtails, if you pay the stated price.

Thanks!
-Brad

Sorry if you thought that read a little bit not-so-nice. Would it have been better if I did not use "you"? I didn't mean you personally.

How about if it's rephrased to:
""So MK2 used both CE1 or CE2? So it's more important to state whether the cluster is CE1 or CE2 than just MK2, in which case one does not really know what one has?""

I apologize again since I just didn't know. I bought a factory MK2 diesel cluster with a tach not long ago and expected a single connector but it came with 2 connectors. I was bummed because it does not fit my 92 EcoDiesel. So it is worth double? Cool! I'll put mine up for sale.

Reply #10March 09, 2013, 07:54:18 pm

Jettagli16v

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 07:54:18 pm »

Sorry if you thought that read a little bit not-so-nice. Would it have been better if I did not use "you"? I didn't mean you personally.

""So MK2 used both CE1 or CE2? So it's more important to state whether the cluster is CE1 or CE2 than just MK2, in which case one does not really know what one has?""

I apologize again since I just didn't know. I bought a factory MK2 diesel cluster with a tach not long ago and expected a single connector but it came with 2 connectors. I was bummed because it does not fit my 92 EcoDiesel. So it is worth double? Cool! I'll put mine up for sale.

I was nice, and you responded with ------- attitude. That wasn't cool.
Please go away. I know what I have, it is in my hands. Apparently other people (Burn, etc..) also know what I have. You seem to be the single person in this thread who is figuring out the cluster differences across the VW mk2 run.

The part at the end about "2x price?? Cool, ill put mine up for sale!!" was a silly thing to tack on the end, because it is just a snarky little way to get the last word in, while insinuating that this is priced too highly for you. I think given the price of other clusters on this board *wink, wink* I am quite fairly valued.

I know what I have and I know what stuff is worth. I have been driving to work in a Mk2 for MOST of my 17 driving years (aside from one Mk3, but it was a 4 cyl).
This is a really nice piece that somebody other than you might want.
Please leave us alone so we can talk.

Thanks,
-Brad

EDIT: OK, So I just found your other threads: "Clusterphobia", and the one where you are selling the service of converting gas clusters to run on a w terminal, and I guess you are asking genuine questions, but you are doing it in the wrong place. You have enough threads about clusters that there is no need to use my FS thread for discovery / clarification.  Today you learned that the CE1 / CE2 change is not a nebulous thing across all of MK2s, but that they switched in the middle. Glad I could help.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 06:24:57 pm by theman53 »

Reply #11March 10, 2013, 04:17:01 pm

alexgingles

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 04:17:01 pm »

I was nice, and you responded with dickish attitude. That wasn't cool.
Please go away. I know what I have, it is in my hands. Apparently other people (Burn, etc..) also know what I have. You seem to be the single person in this thread who is figuring out the cluster differences across the VW mk2 run.

The part at the end about "2x price?? Cool, ill put mine up for sale!!" was a silly thing to tack on the end, because it is just a snarky little way to get the last word in, while insinuating that this is priced too highly for you. I think given the price of other clusters on this board *wink, wink* I am quite fairly valued.

I know what I have and I know what stuff is worth. I have been driving to work in a Mk2 for MOST of my 17 driving years (aside from one Mk3, but it was a 4 cyl).
This is a really nice piece that somebody other than you might want.
Please leave us alone so we can talk.

Thanks,
-Brad

EDIT: OK, So I just found your other threads: "Clusterphobia", and the one where you are selling the service of converting gas clusters to run on a w terminal, and I guess you are asking genuine questions, but you are doing it in the wrong place. You have enough threads about clusters that there is no need to use my FS thread for discovery / clarification.  Today you learned that the CE1 / CE2 change is not a nebulous thing across all of MK2s, but that they switched in the middle. Glad I could help.

This thread confirms my thoughts... if you argue with an idiot, eventually it's hard to tell who the idiot actually is.  just my .02

Good luck selling a ce1 cluster for $220

Reply #12March 10, 2013, 06:20:05 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 06:20:05 pm »
How about I lock this  :)

Try again and be nicer in replies and it will not get locked.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 06:25:48 pm by theman53 »

Reply #13March 10, 2013, 07:41:16 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 07:41:16 pm »
 its ce1 due to shiftlight... ce2 = no shiftlight

Reply #14March 10, 2013, 08:28:30 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 08:28:30 pm »
When did this place turn in to cry-babies getting butt-hurt??

Don't like what someone says? Don't 1-up them with something else to lower yourself to that level.. Be the bigger man/woman and keep it cool as a cucumber.