Author Topic: 1.6td swap  (Read 6825 times)

May 10, 2004, 10:36:37 pm

Anonymous

1.6td swap
« on: May 10, 2004, 10:36:37 pm »
hey guys!
I just finished up my swap onto my 81 pickup/caddy. Can't wait to take her out for a couple of rips.
The motor and tranny came off an 85 td jetta.

I didn't have much problems: i had to have a custom downpipe made.... and had to swap all the timing belt covers and a1/rabbit side motor mount onto the turbo diesel motor.

The only problems i seem to be having now are:
1) it takes a very long time for the glow plug light to go away after turning the ignition on for the 1st time????   anyone  else experience this?
2) the damn transmission is way too close ratio....  i'm thinking already to swap it out for a normal 8v a2/a3 tranny
3) the damn injection pump needs to be dialed in.... i get excessive smoking on a cold start????  is this normal? after the motor warms up.... it's gone!
4) i also noticed that the motor runs quite hotter than the original n/a  1.6 diesel

hopefully, i'll have some pics soon
david

Reply #1May 11, 2004, 08:34:40 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

1.6td swap
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 08:34:40 am »
1) is it a slow glow plug relay?

2) dr. diesel has the same problem with his jetta. when we put the TD in the rabbit i chose to stay with the transmission that was in the car when i bought it... it is very long, and i'm happy with the decision. i'd look for transmission codes with a longer final and 5th and see what you can turn up.

3) if the injection timing is off, yes, it can cause quite a bit of smoke. time the pump and see where you stand.

4) shouldn't really.. mine runs cooler than the 1.5 diesel i had in there. with the 1.6TD i rarely see the coolant temp go a notch over halfway on the gauge. try flushing your coolant system... i flushed everything when we did the swap, maybe that helped the temps in my car... dunno.

have fun  :)

Reply #2May 11, 2004, 10:54:02 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
1.6td swap
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 10:54:02 am »
Anyone have a good source of slow glow plugs?

I am getting some really weird things happening with my quick glows.  have been for a while and I'm sick of living with them.  Relay cycling over again when engine is on after it's already cycled once, etc.  Weird stuff makes me question maybe a defective relay.  I just want my slow glows back.   :?
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #3May 11, 2004, 11:30:13 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

1.6td swap
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 11:30:13 am »
ive had nothing but success with the glow plugs in my TD... i just assumed they were fast glows... came from a 1990 TD and the slow glow relay from the 1982 diesel didn't work.. i had to switch to the relay from the 1990 to get the glows to work...

i thought that at a certain point, VW used nothing but fast glow plugs, so i assume mine are fast ones. the yellow light definitely shuts off sooner, but its also warmer out now...

Reply #4May 11, 2004, 11:41:53 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

1.6td swap
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 11:41:53 am »
Maybe I'll try just swapping the relay.  I might have a spare in the garage I could try.  I don't want it cycling more than once, like it's supposed to!

I also don't like the current relay because sometimes it won't come on at all when the engine is warmer.  I think my old slow glow relay would come on any time.  Wouldn't light up the glow plug light, but would give a little juice to the plugs.  Because of this, I often had HOT START problems last racing season.  I ended up leaving my engine idling constantly in between my runs!

I actually may have found my slow-starter problem.  I used to have a serrated washer in between the ground cable and the the tranny bracket, and I think I lost that washer one time I removed it.  Well I put one back in there, and now the starter seems more "willing" now.  :)
Jake Russell

Reply #5May 11, 2004, 01:33:55 pm

DieselsRcool

• Junior

1.6td swap
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 01:33:55 pm »
Check to make sure the wires for the gloplug temp sensor and the gauge sensor are not switched.

Reply #6May 11, 2004, 02:20:08 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

1.6td swap
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2004, 02:20:08 pm »
Aren't both temp senders the same part, with a black plastic identifier?  ETKA shows they are the same.  I could check the resistance values of mine with a multimeter...
Jake Russell

Reply #7May 11, 2004, 03:00:17 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

1.6td swap
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2004, 03:00:17 pm »
Hey that's a great idea - I might just end up doing that if needbe.

Any ideas as to why the relay would click on after it's already cycled once and the engine has started?  Once everything is warmed up, it stops doing it, but until the engine warms up and it stops doing it, it still annoys the heck out of me.

Here is also some additional information: I usually wait until the first cycle has completely finished before I start the engine.  Do you think this might be what is confusing the relay into triggering a second cycle later when the engine is already running?  The second cycle usually gets triggered when I press or release (can't remember which) the brake pedal or do something which causes a voltage spike/drop.  Not sure if it ever does more than 1 additional cycle... I'll have to pay more attention to that!
Jake Russell

Reply #8May 12, 2004, 10:58:14 pm

dieseltech

• Junior

• http://www.geocities.com/dean16v/Page_One.html
1.6td swap
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2004, 10:58:14 pm »
i had a faulty (intermittent) ignition switch, the car would crank and start fine 98% of the time, but the accesories part of the switch was funny and would cause the relay to cycle again when i released the key to run position.

best of luck
86 td jetta power everything dd (update off the road for major resto).  97tdi bare bones, DD
and a private junkyard of various other vw/audi/bmw/peugeot/volvo/toyota diesels!!!
Cummins has the worlds record for being the most efficient engine ever!!!!!
for converting fuel into noise!

Reply #9May 12, 2004, 11:41:06 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

1.6td swap
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2004, 11:41:06 pm »
Quote from: "dieseltech"
i had a faulty (intermittent) ignition switch, the car would crank and start fine 98% of the time, but the accesories part of the switch was funny and would cause the relay to cycle again when i released the key to run position.

best of luck

That sounds like maybe what I have!  I paid close attention when I drove it today.  It seemed like the glowplug started it's second cycle right after starting.  Maybe I'll have to do some more diagnosis with a multimeter...
Jake Russell

S-PAutomotive.com