Author Topic: Finding the limit of my turbo and ended up cleaning whole engine and bay!  (Read 2755 times)

June 22, 2012, 07:13:02 pm

james277553

• User+

So after 187,000 miles my turbo decided that it didn't like 20psi pushing though it and started to whistle like a pig. This wasn't what I wanted after spending all last summer doing up rest of the car.
I managed to locate a good second hand turbo and started to try and remove old turbo with engine in the car. No chance that was happening so out the engine came. I've never done this before so was a big learning curve. I figured i'd rebuilt rest of car so how hard can engine be lol. He some picture of what I got up to. And yes once you start its hard to know when to stop. Sorry for mass of pictures.

20 years of driving on wet and muddy roads had taken it toll.

I decided to fit a splash guard in the sump and also knock a dent out of the sump from a large stone hitting it at 60mph!

Lots of De-greaser later and alot of scrubbing:

I found out why my gear selection was so bad. I really recommend replacing these if you get gearbox selection problems only cost £10

If your not bored yet more pics to come:

Mk2 Golf sb 1.6 GTD. Gov mod, Uprated intercooler. Loads more.

Reply #1June 22, 2012, 08:05:24 pm

james277553

• User+

I couldn't believe how much wax was still in the engine bay. It took me hours to clean it all off. I kept finding bits. Then I attacked it with the pressure washer and more de-greaser.

While the paint was drying I started to rebuild engine, there's not many pictures of this. I got into bolting bits on too much and forgot to take pics.
Ended up with new oil cooler as the old one has corroded badly wasn't happy to find but glad I did while it was apart.

I also changed the gearbox oil man it was black, I kept flsuhing it till all the black burnt oil was gone.

Weighted shifter is a must have

The wiring was fun to put back. I'm glad I took pictures.
My wife had our baby boy in between times and so didn't touch the car for about a month.

I couldn't resist and ended up with a new power steering bottle and expansion tank. 

The first run went really well and all seemed to be fine with only a problem with a split water flange.
It was then time for my intercooler to be put back on.

Once engine was running and everything sorted I made up and new 2.5" exhaust as old stock system was just not good.
I'm not waiting for a custom rear silencer to be made so driving round with a straight though exhaust it sounds good but too loud for my liking. The power is very good now and running about 19-20 psi. I did a few 0-60 mph tests the other day and I can get just under 10seconds. I think I could do a 9s on flat ground. I live in Devon never seem to have a flat run.

I realised I haven't taken any pictures of the completed job I will try to take some soon to finish this post off.
Hope you like  ;D   

Reply #2June 22, 2012, 08:11:45 pm

james277553

• User+

Sorry for the double pictures not used to doing this and getting tired it 1am in the UK need sleep. I missed the picture of my new exhaust.

Its a bit DIY but got to be better than stock.

Reply #3June 23, 2012, 03:09:16 pm

randylovepump

• User+

top work mate looking good

Reply #4March 23, 2013, 04:09:50 pm

GTFORZA

• User+

That's a beautiful engine bay!!!!!!!

Reply #5March 23, 2013, 05:07:36 pm

745 turbogreasel

Congrats on the most elaborate turbo swap ever ;D
Quite a transformation.

Reply #6March 23, 2013, 09:52:47 pm

shorttimer

• Junior

Nice job! I need your enthusiasm. I'll bet that new pipe really made a big difference. The stock ones are so restrictive.

Reply #7March 24, 2013, 05:43:31 am

carrizog60

• Veteran

congrats for the baby and the love on the car!
vw golf gti G60--vw passat 1.9td gt2052v
yamaha vmax 1200- yamaha tdm 850
Portugal

Reply #8March 26, 2013, 06:24:41 pm

snakemaster

• Veteran

Looking good , that lookes to be a nice intercooler
Glenmorangie  single highland malt