S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Vanbcguy's M-TDI Build  (Read 95259 times)

February 28, 2013, 04:28:58 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Vanbcguy's M-TDI Build
« on: February 28, 2013, 04:28:58 pm »
Ok, here I go!! This build is going to take some time as I'm not in any particular rush nor am I particularly flush with cash - I have a 1-month old baby here at home and I figured I needed a project that let me have some "me" time but keeps me around the house. 

Anyhow, some of you who've been on here for a long time have probably seen Jezebel Jetta... I bought her nearly 5 years ago now, she came to me with a 1.6TD engine in her bay instead of the AAZ I thought I was buying.  I didn't know enough about VW diesels at the time to spot the differences.  My how things have changed... :)  In the time that I've owned her I've cleaned up most of the crap problems that she came with - I put new coil springs in all 4 corners, brakes have been done, tires were done a few years ago, she's got a 2 1/2" exhaust system from the back end of the stock AAZ downpipe back, Bilstein HD shocks and a monster AWIC...  Fixed the cruise control and the sunroof... I replaced the carpets, put down soundproofing and swapped in an interior from another Jetta that we have.  So I've put quite a bit of time and effort in to her!!  She's got about 330,000km on the odometer now, she had 260,000 when I got her.

I know my 1.6TD is getting a bit long in the tooth - it runs fantastically and pulls great but I figured I should either decide to buy a different car, or start working on a new drivetrain for her.  Seems I'm attached to Jezebel, so I decided to start working on a new drivetrain.

I picked up an AHU a few weeks ago that I'm just starting to strip down.  It came fairly complete, though the wiring harness is a bit hacked up (it was cut off at the firewall by someone a little too eager to get the engine out of the car).  My plans!!

- Sell off the ECU, K03, EGR stuff, manifolds
- Get everything stripped and off to the machine shop
- Find someone to do some porting on my head
- Get all my internals together
- Get the engine built up - targeting about 150-200HP
- Get an M-TDI pump
- Get an 02A from a Mk III TDI
- Get my K24 rebuilt (or find another turbo suitable for 20-25 PSI)
- Do the swap!!

I don't have the head pulled yet so I'm holding off buying too many parts - if it turns out the block is crap or whatever then I'll be starting from zero again.  The only thing I've bought so far is a PD150 intake with EGR delete pipe.  But I have got my work space more or less set up, which is a great start!

Hopefully this weekend the head will be coming off and then the fun stuff starts!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 11:41:32 pm by vanbcguy »

Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #1February 28, 2013, 06:17:21 pm

8v-of-fury

Re: Vanbcguy's M-TDI Build
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 06:17:21 pm »
DAMN! Nice, I wish I went through my AHU before I swapped it in.. I could have too as it sat in my garage for the better part of 2 years while I decided what to do. I had MORE than enough time to entirely do it over.. gahh I was stupid. Next time though ;) she'll be done proper.

You have a solid plan, and the ambition to get it done right. I suggest libbydiesel (Andrew) as the one to build you your M-TDI pump, they are zero mile brand new units with the ability to get some SERIOUS power.

Reply #2March 01, 2013, 08:35:44 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 08:35:44 am »
DAMN! Nice, I wish I went through my AHU before I swapped it in.. I could have too as it sat in my garage for the better part of 2 years while I decided what to do. I had MORE than enough time to entirely do it over.. gahh I was stupid. Next time though ;) she'll be done proper.

You have a solid plan, and the ambition to get it done right. I suggest libbydiesel (Andrew) as the one to build you your M-TDI pump, they are zero mile brand new units with the ability to get some SERIOUS power.

Yep, talked to Andrew about a pump already! :)

I'm super excited to get cracking on this project.  I should be DEBT FREE by about May which means I'll have a lot more money for toys - it's going to be pretty trippy not having to sign away part of my paycheque to the bank every month.

I contacted KermaTDI yesterday to see what their recommendations were for nozzles, cam and clutch for my stated power goals:

• Bosio Race 520's with Stage 1 Flow Calibrated injectors
  • Southbend Stage 3 Endurance clutch
  • Colt Stage 2 Cam

I was kind of surprised by their clutch recommendation - seems pretty beefy.  I did tell them I will be hauling a trailer fairly regularly though.

I'm also sniffing around for a turbo - ideally I really don't want to take Jezzie out of service until I have everything ready to drop in.  I MIGHT spring for a new turbo if I can find something really tasty.  I've been looking at the Garrett GT2056 (the wastegate version) - its map seems to fit my needs pretty well at least on the compressor side.  I'm mainly comparing it to a K24 so a bit of low end lag compared to a K03 won't bother me in the slightest since I've never even driven my car with a K03 on it.

If I go that way I need a non-VW manifold too, but it seems like there are quite a few T25/T3 style manifolds available for 8V engines.  I'm just concerned about firewall clearance mainly. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 08:46:16 am by vanbcguy »
Bryn

Reply #3March 01, 2013, 09:11:28 am

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 09:11:28 am »
Sounds like your doing about the same as I with your engine. I have pd 150 intake and Libby pump. still undecided on injectors but I just hit up kerma for some advice. I'm using a k14 off an aaz but plan on the same amount of boost as you. I've never used a k24 but I have the small k14 on my mk2 and I like it. Andrew suggested the k14 over anything except of course a vnt but thats a bit much for me at this point.  For clutch I used a tdi pressure plate and a vr6 disc both by Sachs.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent
Need a car transported a long distance? Pm me for details.

Reply #4March 06, 2013, 12:25:05 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 12:25:05 pm »
After hunting around to the point where my eyes are basically bleeding I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a GT2056 for my turbo.  It is sized in between the K14 and the K24 but it is quite a bit more efficient (its peak compressor efficiency is 78% compared to about 70% for the K24) and it seems to be sized pretty well for the TDI.

I thought about going the VNT route but it seems like a compressor this big will be in the surge zone if it spools too fast.  The GT2056V from the Jeep Liberty is a somewhat common turbo to run on a TDI - it uses the same compressor.  Looking at the maps I don't see that there is really any room to spool the GT20 compressor up in to the 20PSI zone until you are getting closer to 3K, so having "tons" of boost off of idle without destroying the turbo just won't happen with a compressor this big, VNT or not.  I've set a target of about 200WHP and it is going to take a decently large compressor to get there. 

Anyhow I'm quite used to driving my 1.6TD with its K24.  On this M-TDI I'll have more displacement and a bit smaller turbo than the K24 so I'm expecting it will be a noticeable improvement lag-wise over my current drivetrain.

Next step? Finding a workable exhaust manifold...

Right now I am leaning towards this one from SPA Turbo... I'd need a T3-T25 adapter but those appear to be somewhat commonly availableEDIT: Actually this already has a T25 flange - sweet!!:

http://www.designengineering.com/files/pdfs/spa/090345.pdf
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 12:33:38 pm by vanbcguy »
Bryn

Reply #5March 06, 2013, 05:24:38 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 05:24:38 pm »
Forgot to mention, I also spoke with South Bend about their clutch recommendation.  They confirmed they would recommend the Stage III Endurance.  A big part of that is because I tow with the trailer fairly regularly and Jon believes the Endurance clutch will last a lot longer for me.  It is rated at about 425 ft-lbs of torque I believe, so I have something to shoot for!!
Bryn

Reply #6March 11, 2013, 05:00:08 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 05:00:08 pm »
...aaaaand I've found a transmission!  :D :D  Bought a CTN 02A from one of our members here.  That should go along with the rest of this build quite nicely!!

Things I need to decide on yet:

- Bottom end: Keep it stock, or start getting in to more interesting rods?
- Pistons: I'm going to be starting with new ones for sure, do I stick with AHU pistons, go with ALH pistons, or.... ?

I have my engine about half way torn down now.  Head is off but I haven't opened up the bottom end yet (I don't have an engine stand at the moment so it is still sitting on the oil pan).  The bores look halfway decent but there does seem to be a bit more piston clearance than I'd expect.  I haven't measured it though.  I don't really plan on re-using the existing pistons.

Next step will be finding a decent machine shop.  I've been asking around but haven't gotten any good local recommendations yet.  I know they are out there - there are TONS of TDIs around here.  I just want to find a shop that knows what a TDI is!  I'm also considering getting the head ported - not sure if I really need to or not at the 200HP level but that's why I need to find an expert... :)
Bryn

Reply #7March 11, 2013, 07:10:44 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 07:10:44 pm »
I highly recomend doing the 02j mk4 shifter swap.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent

Reply #8March 11, 2013, 07:38:52 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 07:38:52 pm »
I highly recomend doing the 02j mk4 shifter swap.

Tell me more?  What is the benefit of the 02J shifter versus the 02A shifter?
Bryn

Reply #9March 11, 2013, 07:58:47 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 07:58:47 pm »
The biggest benefit is the ends on the O2J are able to be replaced where the O2A you have to buy the entire cable set and I think it is NLA. If it is still available they were 400.00 per set.

Reply #10March 11, 2013, 10:08:52 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 10:08:52 pm »
it feels way better. like lucas said replaceable ends. 42 draft design also makes nice billet inserts for the ends. Also 40 dollar audi tt short shift kit. Super easy to fab into tunnel in place of 02a box. drill 2 holes 2 longer bolts and some shimming and its in. Also mk4 shifter boxes use a ball and socket for the lever with a replaceable insert that can be replaced in the car.  you can get all the stuff for it for a few hundred bucks. I just did it on my b3 wagon mtdi swap though it hasn't seen the road yet I can tell its way worth it.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent

Reply #11March 12, 2013, 10:29:31 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 10:29:31 am »
Good to know... I do have an 02A shift box and cables coming but I'll keep my eyes open for 02J parts.  Very good to know about the parts being NLA for the 02A - that would piss me right off if I needed to service them in a few years.

For my own reference as well as anyone else who comes along, here's the best way I found to do the 02J shifter conversion on a Mk III:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5820143-DIY-02A-gt-02J-Shifter-conversation-for-VR6-SLC-Cars
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 11:35:28 am by vanbcguy »
Bryn

Reply #12March 14, 2013, 12:32:59 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 12:32:59 pm »
My PD150 intake + race pipe showed up in the mail this morning...  ;D ;D ;D

Bryn

Reply #13March 14, 2013, 12:51:58 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 12:51:58 pm »
I will live vicariously through you Bryn, you are doing what I want to lol. No budget and my only car.. pretty much cannot happen.. at least not all at once anyway haha.

ps. how do you pronounce Bryn? Like Brian? Or?

Reply #14March 14, 2013, 01:14:40 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 01:14:40 pm »
My PD150 intake + race pipe showed up in the mail this morning...  ;D ;D ;D

thumbsup!! I got one too!
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent

S-PAutomotive.com