Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Time to start assembling 1.5 TD / 1.9L Franken Diesel.  (Read 57637 times)

Reply #330September 23, 2013, 06:20:34 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
Re: Time to start assembling 1.5 TD / 1.9L Franken Diesel.
« Reply #330 on: September 23, 2013, 06:20:34 pm »
something else i had thought here was that the low compression engine could really enjoy some timing advance, what is your take on this?

The Dieselmeken pump has much more dynamic timing built into it, but trying a bit more static timing might be worth a shot.

Yeah thats what i meant

And i am very excited for lucas to get his holset
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #331September 23, 2013, 07:16:01 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #331 on: September 23, 2013, 07:16:01 pm »
From what you dyno looks like the biggest gains to be had in the pump would be the gov. mod first. The other stuff will help but I bet that would get you to fuel more on top and might not make your torque drop off as much. Also, when I have retarded the timing it seemed to move the power more toward the final RPM and advancing it seems to give it more snap off idle. Not saying you want to do either one, but just what I have noticed in my engines.

I too think the lowered compression of the head and engine combo may let you run even more boost/egt than normal. As I said before I ran my old 1.6 to 1650f for under a second, but up to 1400f all the time. It took me 40,000 miles to drop a precup. I didn't have the lowered compression or as good of a turbo, so I would say go to 1400f max just as Alcaid said.

Whatever you do keep good records and if possible only change 1 thing at a time. It is the long way but it is easy to know what did what when you make the adjustment.

Reply #332September 24, 2013, 08:01:01 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #332 on: September 24, 2013, 08:01:01 am »
i believe on daves build he mentioned some where that he ran very advanced timing with his giles pump, like 1.20mm initial timing or something, 1.5 should have about the same or even lower compression than daves engine.  i only say that because dave had modded around the valves and some other weird stuff that could lower compression.  also check out the huge turbo he ran  :o :o
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 08:09:21 am by RabbitJockey »
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #333September 24, 2013, 08:10:47 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #333 on: September 24, 2013, 08:10:47 am »
i believe on daves build he mentioned some where that he ran very advanced timing with his giles pump, like 1.20mm initial timing or something, 1.5 should have about the same or even lower compression than daves engine.  i only say that because dave had modded around the valves and some other weird stuff that could lower compression.

In my examples he probably did that so that it would get out of its own way before boost hit. With normal timing or Giles retarded spec it would probably have been gutless until the turbo lit and he was trying to help it all he could***guess***
Jetmugg's seems to have a good clatter to it in the mid range. I am not going to say an advance or retard would help him or not, but I would say that the gov. mod would help the most by the looks of the dyno, for what he is doing. Going way advanced like Dave did may give you the peak cylinder pressure that likes to rattle things in bad ways. The 1.5 with all the lowered compression is probably better suited than our 1.6's but still go too much and I think you risk precup danger, I don't know what point that is but it is an eventual possibility.

Reply #334September 24, 2013, 08:14:12 am

Jetmugg

• Veteran

« Reply #334 on: September 24, 2013, 08:14:12 am »
Within the next two days, I should know if the World Finals are going to be held this year or not.  There is a chance of rain tomorrow and Thursday on the salt flats. :o

Beyond those two days, the conditions look excellent for racing.

If everything stays dry, I should have plenty of opportunity for test and tune on the salt next week.

If we get cancelled, I will have plenty of changes to tune before next August.  I think I can get some more dyno sessions in, trying different timing and boost options.

This board is a fantastic resource of information on these engines!  This is the Internet at its best.

I won't get inside the pump unless Dieselmeken specifically instructs me to do so.

Beyond those two days, the conditions look excellent for racing.

For now, I'm thinking warm, dry thoughts.  I really want to put a mark on the board to see how this little truck will run!

Reply #335September 24, 2013, 08:15:40 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #335 on: September 24, 2013, 08:15:40 am »
Here is the dyno with rpms, did some smoothing as well, the thick area at the end is because I chopped the pedal before ending the run on the computer.

This does lead me to believe a 14mm pump is over kill for the lower end of 200whp. A 12mm would suit my goals just fine, heck with some different injectors this 9mm is likely good enough. I am not completely decided on my pump situation yet, I want to build an new intake manifold and a new exhaust manifold and add a camshaft first, see where I am at, and go from there.

New shop is bigger and better, 6500 sq/ft, really nice race shop, we'll have a nice customer lounge area with a big plasma tv and surround for people waiting for dyno slips and such. This new shop will house my business and my friends business building custom turbo bimmers. With a dyno, ecu tuning capabilities, machining equipment, fabrication equipment an a paint shop we'll be able to tackle virtually any project.

I'll get some pics of the new shop when we are both a little more moved in.

Reply #336September 24, 2013, 08:18:18 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #336 on: September 24, 2013, 08:18:18 am »
also i think some of his reason for advancing timing was to clear up the white smoke as well.  i am just speculating everything.  but check out his dyno, look how much power he has around 4600 rpms.  interesting isn't it.

Reply #337September 24, 2013, 03:59:44 pm

Jetmugg

• Veteran

« Reply #337 on: September 24, 2013, 03:59:44 pm »
I'm going to have plenty of time to tune this thing. :'(

World Finals have been cancelled due to too much water on the salt, not enough time for it to dry, and more rain in the forecast.

Steve

Reply #338September 24, 2013, 04:21:43 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #338 on: September 24, 2013, 04:21:43 pm »
I'm going to have plenty of time to tune this thing. :'(

World Finals have been cancelled due to too much water on the salt, not enough time for it to dry, and more rain in the forecast.

Steve

You more likely to make the goal now!! you can get this thing beyond perfect and have some fun with it in the mean time.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent
Need a car transported a long distance? Pm me for details.

Reply #339March 18, 2014, 09:47:49 am

Alcaid

• Veteran

« Reply #339 on: March 18, 2014, 09:47:49 am »
Hi,

Have you been getting any work done on this one lately? :)

Just a hint on your way to land speed records:

- The GT2056 you are using has a turbine choke flow of 10.4lbs/min (47.0mm turbine, 72Trim, 0.46A/R housing)

- You dynoed 167whp. Just based on the turbine flow I blindly guessed 164whp based on all 1.6TD dyno runs I have data from, so I wasn't that far off ;)

- To be able to get the 30lbs/min compressor flow out of the turbo on a 1.6TD you would need to up the turbine choke flow to 12lbs/min. To get to that a theoretical housing size of 0.62A/R would be needed (or bigger for even more turbine flow / less back pressure / slower spool)

- Turbo would spool somewhat later, but as you are already in the surge area that would actually be a benefit and land speed records don't need fast spooling turbos anyway

- You should be very close to 190whp with this mod and be able to keep your existing hardware. All it would take is to find a bigger A/R turbine housing that fits your turbine wheel or port the housing you have, 15% bigger diameter internally would give you the A/R increase you need, don't know if there is enough meat in the housing to do that.

- Don't know how long the GT2056 will hold at this high boost levels without a 360° thrust bearing so that is an upgrade I most certainly would consider

Best of luck! :)
'03 VW Golf PD130 4Motion Highline
'10 VW Passat 1.6TDI Highline
'83 VW Jetta 1.6TD, 11mm pump, H-beam rods, girdle, fully reworked AAZ head +++ Going Compound ;)

Reply #340March 21, 2014, 02:12:31 pm

Jetmugg

• Veteran

« Reply #340 on: March 21, 2014, 02:12:31 pm »
I have been doing some work on the truck, but not under the hood.  I have some roll cage upgrades to do, along with brakes and fabricating an air dam.

Budget wise, I'm pretty constrained for 2014.  My plan is to run what I have in 2014, first at the Ohio Mile in June, then Bonneville in August.  I don't doubt the wisdom of your advice for a second, but simply can't afford (from a dollars and cents perspective) to do any experimentation with different turbo setups.   

Testing and running different turbo setups will have to wait for future seasons.  This will be a long term effort.

I do have a boost controller that I will be installing in the cab of the truck, within reach of my right hand.  In order to avoid the surge, it is my intent to only allow full boost at higher rpms in top gear.

I "think" I have enough power to be competitive against the current record, but there are about 1 million things that could cause me to fall short.

Whatever happens, I will continue to pursue the dream. 

Thanks,

Steve.

Reply #341March 21, 2014, 02:16:21 pm

Jetmugg

• Veteran

« Reply #341 on: March 21, 2014, 02:16:21 pm »
After re-reading your post, it has sunk in a bit more.

I didn't know it was possible to upgrade the GT2056 to 360 degree bearings.  That is an excellent suggestion, along with porting of the housing.

Time to do some more homework.  I have some time, but don't have much money left.

Steve.

Reply #342March 21, 2014, 09:43:23 pm

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    AAZ 1.9, HE 200 Turbo, 82 Vanagon, AAP 5 speed
« Reply #342 on: March 21, 2014, 09:43:23 pm »
I have been doing some work on the truck, but not under the hood.  I have some roll cage upgrades to do, along with brakes and fabricating an air dam.

Budget wise, I'm pretty constrained for 2014.  My plan is to run what I have in 2014, first at the Ohio Mile in June, then Bonneville in August.  I don't doubt the wisdom of your advice for a second, but simply can't afford (from a dollars and cents perspective) to do any experimentation with different turbo setups.   

Testing and running different turbo setups will have to wait for future seasons.  This will be a long term effort.

I do have a boost controller that I will be installing in the cab of the truck, within reach of my right hand.  In order to avoid the surge, it is my intent to only allow full boost at higher rpms in top gear.

I "think" I have enough power to be competitive against the current record, but there are about 1 million things that could cause me to fall short.

Whatever happens, I will continue to pursue the dream. 

Thanks,

Steve.

Keep up the posts - were' in the dream as well ;D
Jim W - 82 Vanagon Westy - AAZ 1.9, Mild head port, Cummins Holset HE200WE turbo, Frozen Boost WAIC, 10" Charge-pipe intake, Ball bearing IM shaft, Giles Pump, 215/70R16, AAP 5 speed Trans. 22 lbs max boost

Reply #343March 22, 2014, 11:32:10 am

Jetmugg

• Veteran

« Reply #343 on: March 22, 2014, 11:32:10 am »
June 7th and 8th, I plan to be in Wilmington, OH for the Ohio Mile meet.  This will be my first opportunity to have the truck go through the East Coast Timing Association tech inspection.  The ECTA rulebook is almost identical to the Southern California Timing Associon / Bonneville Nationals Inc. (SCTA/BNI) rulebook.    If any tech issues are detected in Ohio, I'll have time to address them before Bonneville.

Since Ohio is a 1 mile course, and Bonneville will be 3 miles for a sub-175 mph vehicle like mine, one of the things I'm wondering about is whether I'll still be accelerating at the 1 mile mark, or if I will have hit top speed by that time on pavement.

I can picture that I'll be able to run through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears pretty quickly, but that 4th gear may take a while to reach top speed.

I'm getting butterflies just thinking about it.

Steve

Reply #344March 22, 2014, 11:59:28 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #344 on: March 22, 2014, 11:59:28 am »
I know you will be able to be in triple digits by 1 mile, weather or not you will still be accelerating or not is another question. I don't think on pavement you will be, I would think if you are running it hard, it will have reached its terminal velocity.