Author Topic: vw-tim's 1981 diesel Caddy build  (Read 6218 times)

Reply #15February 15, 2013, 02:39:42 am

vw-tim

• Junior

Re: vw-tim's 1981 diesel Caddy build
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 02:39:42 am »
Isn't the passenger side where the washer bottle is supposed to mount? Every MK1 I've owned had it there.

yeah i think its suppost to mount up there i have the bottle and motor just dont have it in yet i think ill get it in soon just trying to focus on other issues i got the cab cleaned out and think im going to install these red seats i have they look alot better then the seats that were in there.

although the passenger seat looks pretty clean in the pic its all stained up and i tried cleaning it but it wont clean up the driver side looks worse anyway im thinking of doing a red interior with this truck or maybe just red seats and black everything else or maybe red dash if i can get it and then black everything else. hope your all having a good night!

Reply #16February 16, 2013, 11:30:47 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2013, 11:30:47 pm »
JamesT  This is where the washer bottle is on my 81.  I think they switched it about then.  

Other add ons are relays for headlights, Pimped Glows relay below, WVO hot water take return to reservoir. 

« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 11:33:45 pm by ORCoaster »

Reply #17February 17, 2013, 01:25:48 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 01:25:48 am »
Dale, I suggest adding a better body-to-battery ground. As I can see it you have several things, on top of all the factory things grounded right to the body.. meaning you are sending all that current through the stock body-to-battery ground, or what is left of it ;).

That fancy shmancy headlight harness you got there? With it grounded to the body.. you have effectively NOT routed the headlights power from the fuse box. As we know it, the electricity flows from the negative. Your headlights powers' first stop is the fuse box, and then through it to another components body ground and then out to the strut tower and in to your harness where it finally makes it to the headlights. What you have done is route the higher current from the headlight switch to another component ;).

ps. Adding an 8 gauge wire from your struts mounting stud to the battery negative will alleviate what I said above.

Reply #18February 17, 2013, 03:11:52 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013, 03:11:52 pm »
Thanks will see if second ground strap from battery goes to body.  I know there is one to the transmission as I have cleaned it and others in the past.  If said cable is there I will picture it so you can see.  If I add another I will do the same.  

Oh by the way.  YOU Threadjacked this one.  
DAS

EDIT ON FEB 24 12   If you can see in the picture there is a second wire on the negative battery post.  It snakes down below the relay and grounds the body so I do indeed have the needed wire you say I should have.  About an 8 gauge just like you mention.  Sorry no Camera and no time to do anything but look today. 

Wanted to finish this up.  DAS
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 01:11:00 am by ORCoaster »

Reply #19February 17, 2013, 07:23:54 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 07:23:54 pm »
I know there is one to the transmission as I have cleaned it and others in the past.

The battery to trans wire is basically just a ground for the starter and alternator.. There is not really any Engine-to-body grounds either. The engine is isolated by itself with the four rubber mounts, and thus has no point to send electrical current.

A minor threadjack ;)

Reply #20February 18, 2013, 05:26:05 pm

vw-tim

• Junior

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 05:26:05 pm »
so little update here got the headlights on and cleaned up the cab some put in some red seats that i had even though the driver side is ripped they are a bit cleaner then what was in there before just waiting on some drop plates i picked up some 2.5 drop plates and should have the back end down pretty soon also waiting to get some fuel lines because its leaking diesel out from the out portion on the IP. Anyway on with the pics! Also still looking for a driver side bumper end cap if anyone knows where i can buy a replacement or wants to sell me one lemme know! :)

Reply #21February 19, 2013, 02:21:36 am

JamesT

• Junior

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 02:21:36 am »
Looking good. If you like the red interior, I have a nice red dash, some red door cards, red seat belts, red shifter surround, and red headliner I pulled out of my Caddy. Only problem is that it's very bulky and shipping would be a nightmare.

Bumper cap is still available from dealers on special order, or a lot of retailers on the interwebz.

Found in 30 seconds.
93 Golf - AAZ with some fueling
78 Rabbit - 1.5 DIESEL (finally)
[(+)===o===(+)]
 (++\==o==/++)

Reply #22February 19, 2013, 08:57:28 pm

vw-tim

• Junior

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 08:57:28 pm »
Looking good. If you like the red interior, I have a nice red dash, some red door cards, red seat belts, red shifter surround, and red headliner I pulled out of my Caddy. Only problem is that it's very bulky and shipping would be a nightmare.

Bumper cap is still available from dealers on special order, or a lot of retailers on the interwebz.

Found in 30 seconds.

yeah im interested in the red stuff! ill send you a pm about it

and yeah i saw that end cap but i need an outie one that ones an innie lol

Fixmyvw.com