S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Bigger valves and better cam  (Read 8933 times)

Reply #45February 08, 2013, 01:46:07 pm

CrazyAndy

• Veteran

Re: Bigger valves and better cam
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2013, 01:46:07 pm »
That's good to know.  I assume the bolt pattern is indexed like that so the pulley only goes on one way, thus allowing the timing alignment marks to be used.

Steve.

Precisely correct.

Reply #46February 08, 2013, 01:54:02 pm

Alleslowbuged

• Veteran

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2013, 01:54:02 pm »
Hi,

i have a 1,9 AAZ engine in my Golf MKII (build thread in this Forum) and managed 190 hp with nearly 30 psi boost and to small intercooler. From my experience the valves are the bigges (smallest) bottleneck for gaining big power figures. I have had a ported head with stock valves and first stock camshaft and than a DrDiesel version, and managed 150-165 hp and agree on your assumption that the Drdiesel cam will be not enough for your goals. It is definitely an upgrade but in my eyes more for a stock head and turbo setup.

So if you ask me what to do, to realy get high peak power figures i would say, increase inlet ports as much as possible and get the biggest inlet and exhaust valves which would fit with your bore diameter. If your turbo setup is only for peak power and take no care of low end grunt, also go for really big exhaust port, but otherwise only slighly increase the exhasut ports. The 1.9 head exhaust ports are smaller than the 1.6 port and i would not increase than much bigger than the 1.6 head ports. If want to go further be very carefull, my second step porting at the exhaust ports results in a very big break through to the water duct (you can find pictures in my built thread). For the cam i would buy a stock AAZ cam and let it regrinded by a tuner shop to TDI upgrade spec with higher lift and advanced timing.
My is regrinded by Dblias, the spec can also be found in my built thread, but for your power goal i woud use the next stage for lift and timing.

The problem i see , is that you will get an compression issue with high lift cams, because you will need to bring the valves deeper in the head to increase the valve piston clearance, what will decrease the compression ratio. In your case the compression is low from start up, because you have the bigger 1.9 prechamber in combination with the 1.6 block so this could be a serios issue with your franken setup. My 1.9 only starts with two time glowing, when it is cold and even that is only good above ~-5°C, below that it could take even more glowing and a very good batterie.

What is your shedule for the injection pump, to reach you power figures with the 1.6 bottom end you will need al lot of fuel at a high speed range, so injecting the right amount of fuel in the right amount of time will be a real competition. From my experience i would go for Ø10mm hp plunger and very steep camplate (i.e. DI AFN 4,0 mm DI camplate), i have run this as setup for a while but it has destroys to sets of injection during short time, so i change to 1.6 DI camplate with Ø12mm plunger, with is a better setup for my engine but has less efficiency at really high speeds.

Because i did not mention before, it is very nice to see people with ambitious goals and i would love to follow your built thread if there is one (will be one ;)).

Best Regards
Alleslowbuged
VW Golf Mk1 (Typ 17) 1981 with 1.6 TD
BMW E28 524 TD

Reply #47February 08, 2013, 11:36:54 pm

Hoble

• Junior

« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2013, 11:36:54 pm »
That's good to know.  I assume the bolt pattern is indexed like that so the pulley only goes on one way, thus allowing the timing alignment marks to be used.

Steve.

Precisely correct.

Then what's the point of the nub and hole that alignes it? Why have the over redundancy?

Reply #48February 08, 2013, 11:54:30 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2013, 11:54:30 pm »
Precisely correct.
Then what's the point of the nub and hole that alignes it? Why have the over redundancy?

Could be to ensure that the proper pulley goes on next in the stack... the wrong pulley might not have a hole to accept the nub.

S-PAutomotive.com