Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1986 Golf TD Part out or sell whole car?  (Read 3574 times)

February 02, 2013, 06:54:31 pm

mtnbob

• Veteran

1986 Golf TD Part out or sell whole car?
« on: February 02, 2013, 06:54:31 pm »
   After much thought and contemplation, I am selling my 1986 Golf with a true TD engine and hydraulic head. I rebuilt the engine over the last summer, after I purchased a true TD engine from Tyler, in Canada, a few years ago. The block was disassembled, cleaned, bored out 2nd oversize, and painted. The crank was polished. I used all German, top of the line parts for every bearing, piston, and gasket. I put in a new clutch at the rebuild. The injection pump, turbo, and turbo parts were used but working fine. The alternator was rebuilt to spec, and the battery replaced with a oversize one. The manual steering rack was replaced with a new one. The head was used but in pristine condition, with zero cracks or issues. The glow plugs are brand new and use the pimped by Vince setup ;D
   The transmission and rest of the car are original and in good shape. I have been driving the car since September 1st and have put over 5000 miles on it. The car has good acceleration and brakes.

The Bad:

I have a serious oil leak (probably due to two broken bolts on the oil pan, and haven't had time to fix them. It has been mentioned to me that it may be the seal between the engine and the transmission, but I will have to take it apart to find out)

The camshaft has a small piece broken off at the key. It has run fine as it is, but I have been meaning to replace it.

The car has been getting harder to shift, until last week it refused to completely. My shifter shaft seal was bad and I replaced it. Unfortunately, I must have messed up something with trying to get it into gear, because I bent one of the linkage pieces. Even after fixing everything I can't get it to shift into gear. It is like the clutch is not releasing. The car shifts beautifully into all gears when the car is off ???

The paint is rough but the body is good. Tiny spot of rust at the bottom of passenger door and tiny spot on a front trim piece, under the front of the car(sprayed with rust neutralizer, hasn't gotten worse in 5 years)

Driver seat is Recaro Orthopedic but needs some work. Rest of the interior is average.

Needs a plastic speedo gear for the transmission end. Speedo not working right now. Tach, gauges, and added oil pressure gauge work fine.

I just don't have the time to mess with this car and work my three jobs :o  I need a daily driver that requires no attention right now, and I am getting a newer car from my girlfriend. I will be back to the diesel side of life when I can afford to work just one or two jobs!!

I have had interest expressed in the engine, but I don't know what a fair price is for it, or if I even want to start parting it out. The right person could have this car running properly in a day. It starts up instantly, even in sub freezing temps without a block heater. Any suggestions or questions?

Thanks for everyone's patience and help since the day I joined this forum. Without the help I have received, I would have never been able to do the great stuff I was able to accomplish!! I learned a great deal in the last 6 years on this site!!!

« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 01:41:55 pm by mtnbob »

86 VW Golf 1.6 N/A 4-door (soon to be turboed!!!)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3248/2598033828_d3d19f9842.jpg?v=0
96 Subaru Outback Wagon

Reply #1February 02, 2013, 08:24:11 pm

camboscams

• Veteran

Re: What is a fair price for a 1986 Golf TD?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 08:24:11 pm »
$700-800 for just the engine , no accessories : )
81' White 1.6l Rabbit 4dr Holseted
72' Ford F-250 390cid
2014 JSW 2.0L TDI Stg 2, CP3 HPFP

Reply #2February 02, 2013, 09:08:21 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 09:08:21 pm »
as i read it, this car at this time does not move.. that's going to obliterate your as-a-whole value; everyone's going to attempt to low ball you because of that.

yer gonna have to part it out, or take a loss.

idk what the parts are worth tho.

like dude said, the motor sounds like it's worth good coin.

Reply #3February 03, 2013, 01:41:00 pm

mtnbob

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 01:41:00 pm »
I think it would probably be a good idea to have the car running properly before I sell it, I just didn't know if there would be more interest as parts or as a whole car.
96 Subaru Outback Wagon

Reply #4February 03, 2013, 02:35:01 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: 1986 Golf TD Part out or sell whole car?
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 02:35:01 pm »
Problem is he has no time!  Three jobs?  working 24 a day or what?  3 hrs at each/day?  Way to messed up in my opinion.  Maybe that is just the sign of the times.  A little here and there, enough to get by. 

Everyone likes a running car but wouldn't he just keep it if that were the case?

Reply #5February 03, 2013, 03:15:45 pm

mtnbob

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 03:15:45 pm »
I am currently a full-time Special Education Assistant at an alternative school for kids who have been expelled, an after school part-time tutor for a severely autistic child, and a part-time house manager at a Homeless shelter for families. I only average about 55 hours a week, so it's not that bad, but it is keeping me from spending the time needed with this car and with my loved ones ;D
96 Subaru Outback Wagon

Reply #6February 03, 2013, 09:24:10 pm

Dakotakid

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 09:24:10 pm »
I sincerely tip my hat to you for your service to others, Bob.
If you were closer, I would sure have buyers up here for that. I don't even know where N.C. is..... :D
I think that is where Andy and Opie used to fish and hunt.......
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #7February 03, 2013, 09:34:30 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 09:34:30 pm »
OK you are not messed up.  In fact you have a lot going for you here ... and there it seems.  Sorry those long weeks don't allow a little personal time for a project of your own.  Thanks for the work you do. 

S-PAutomotive.com