Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 67 Mercury Cougar, Diesel  (Read 6955 times)

Reply #15January 30, 2013, 12:30:47 pm

scrounger

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Big MO
Re: 67 Mercury Cougar, Diesel
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 12:30:47 pm »
Your comment about vacuum leaks is a bit strong. I have not had any vacuum leaks in my mercedes. Yours was was leaking. Both of our cars are small sample sizes to make a broad condemnation of the breed. I would rather have a vacuum leak than need a new computer or computer sensor. Replacing a plastic or rubber line is very easy and cheap.

As the cars were required to meet more standards the company made more circuits to keep them legal. At some point it became more economical to replace the vacuum circuits with electronic circuits. Unfortunately many of the older electronic circuits are now failing due to capacitors drying out, much like having rubber and plastic tubing fail.

My 85 was the last year that they imported it. They had an EGR with vacuum control circuit. An ARV with vacuum control circuit. There are some pressure lines on the intake manifold which like vacuum lines can leak They help to control the fuel delivery but are not essential and can be removed except the one to the turbo. Mine is not, but I have heard that the 1985 california car had big bag on the exhaust to help with emissions. It required a different transmission as it in the same space as the starter motor. Apparently the transmission that they chose was less robust than the one used in the other cars.

These cars are unique amongst auto transmission cars. They can be tow started if the battery is dead.

Still they don't have much in the way of computers, even the oil pressure gauge is strictly mechanical. No catalyst, no OBD2 port.

The engine is just your basic IDI type of diesel. It is well built and with normal service should be good for 3-500,000 miles. Most of the worn engines that I have heard about needing rebuilt have been run on wVo and have gummed up rings.

The vacuum leaks are horrible on the Mercs, maybe more so on the gassers. I maintained an 82 300D for about 6 months and it seemed most everything I bought for it was "just a bit more" than VW. I never had anything less expensive than VW, but look at it realistically...VW were cheap economy cars and a Mercedes is a Mercedes.
M2 Jetta TD.  Northern Missouri

Reply #16March 01, 2013, 07:14:48 am

homerj1

• Veteran

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 07:14:48 am »
The vacuum leaks are horrible on the Mercs, maybe more so on the gassers. I maintained an 82 300D for about 6 months and it seemed most everything I bought for it was "just a bit more" than VW. I never had anything less expensive than VW, but look at it realistically...VW were cheap economy cars and a Mercedes is a Mercedes.

Yea the vacuum leaks on my 84 mb 240d were ongoing.

Although it was solid like a rock - no clunks, no tinny slamming car noises - just a bit slow to speed up.

Reply #17March 05, 2013, 02:56:57 am

mystery3

• Veteran

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 02:56:57 am »
Your comment about vacuum leaks is a bit strong. I have not had any vacuum leaks in my mercedes.

No comment about 80's benz products and there propensity for developing vacuum leaks is too strong. Vacuum powered window regulators wtf? Those cars have a mile of 30 year old brittle vacuum hose running around. That said they'll run forever with or without operational vacuum dependent equipment!

Reply #18March 05, 2013, 08:26:23 am

scrounger

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Big MO
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 08:26:23 am »
The door locks are pretty unique. No extra buttons Just the four door locks, when you push down the drivers lock, the others are obedient and slavishly follow.
M2 Jetta TD.  Northern Missouri

S-PAutomotive.com